• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

Thank God i did not pre order that 1 Wooooooo

:whee:

:roflmao:

Glad I ended up passing on it as well

His skillz are wasted unless the cover features a gorgeous gal with a pink nose

I used the same logic during the boxing week sale at a LCS in Christmas 2015 and passed on the ASM #688 Lizard variant for $5. I picked it up, took it in my pile to the till, and then left it there as I figured only his female covers would carry a premium..........should have looked up the prices on my phone first. :tonofbricks:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-688-LIZARD-VARIANT-VERY-HIGH-GRADE-SIGNED-CAMPBELL-STAN-LEE-/222351946645?hash=item33c5357395:g:cUwAAOSwZJBX~MM0

stan signed this one right on the lizard's face!

passing it up for $5 is just silly. any campbell variant is worth $5. heck, any regular spidey campbell cover is worth $5.

Edited by the blob

I was just referring to the Campbell covers: regular #1, virgin #1 and zoomed #0. Same for regular #2 and virgin #2. For Vampirella I believe it applies, too: regular, virgin and zoomed. I don't really care about the others.

meh, not really all that different from retailer exclusive variants - Color, B&W, Virgin/Sketch and you can only get the Virgin/Sketch variant if you buy the complete set.

The zoomed #0, as I mentioned, I find completely understandable. It's practically a freebie issue and is designed more as a sneak peek so it stands to reason they'll try to save money on those. Give folks a taste instead of a full meal.

As for the virgin chase variants for #1 and #2 (and quite likely later issues), if people stop buying, then they'll stop making them. Right now, it's an effective method for publishers to artificially increase demand/unit sales. Once people get fed up, publishers will go on to the next new gimmick.

Should've went with a black cat or mary jane female venom. Not sure if this will retain its $200 price tag.

Definitely agree it would have boosted the value, but I also look at JSC's past stuff. Three of his big covers, Wolverine, Deadpool, and the Lizard covers are all not really "sexy". Yet they're 3 of his top sellers. It may take a few years, but I can see this being a solid investment being how popular Venom is (and in the Spiderman universe which helps). Not being a #1, the quantity of this probably will be less than a 1,000 copies.

Edited by Tnexus

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-688-LIZARD-VARIANT-VERY-HIGH-GRADE-SIGNED-CAMPBELL-STAN-LEE-/222351946645?hash=item33c5357395:g:cUwAAOSwZJBX~MM0

passing it up for $5 is just silly. any campbell variant is worth $5. heck, any regular spidey campbell cover is worth $5.

There are plenty of JSC books that are not worth more than cover. I figured this would be one of them since it is a fugly Lizard....... lol

There are plenty of JSC books that are not worth more than cover. I figured this would be one of them since it is a fugly Lizard....... lol

A high ratio variant in the core ASM run? Yeah, that's not a tough call there bud lol .

Also, it's probably one of his last actually good and clever covers. His very last might be Superior Spiderman #20.

Mostly everything from him the last couple years since has been meh

-J.

A high ratio variant in the core ASM run? Yeah, that's not a tough call there bud lol .

Also, it's probably one of his last actually good and clever covers. His very last might be Superior Spiderman #20.

-J.

I had no idea what the ratio on it was since I did not collect ASM at all. The LCS had a couple of other copies that noone else had snagged, and since I did not follow the JSC variant market closely at that time I passed. (shrug) Even though I am paying more attention now, I am sure I have passed on other JSC variants at the LCSs the past year that I should have snagged.

I did cringe when I checked out the pricing for #688 on eBay a couple of days after passing on it, but you win some and you lose some I guess. I missed another chance at #688 for $5 at a different LCS this summer. They had an ASM run come in and all of the 1:25s leading up to it and after it were sitting there at $5. Someone had snagged it already. This is the same store I nabbed a couple of BA #12s at for $4 apiece.....................

Edited by kimik

-J.

I had no idea what the ratio on it was since I did not collect ASM at all. The LCS had a couple of other copies that noone else had snagged, and since I did not follow the JSC variant market closely at that time I passed. (shrug) Even though I am paying more attention now, I am sure I have passed on other JSC variants at the LCSs the past year that I should have snagged.

I did cringe when I checked out the pricing for #688 on eBay a couple of days after passing on it, but you win some and you lose some I guess. I missed another chance at #688 for $5 at a different LCS this summer. They had an ASM run come in and all of the 1:25s leading up to it and after it were sitting there at $5. Someone had snagged it already. This is the same store I nabbed a couple of BA #12s at for $4 apiece.....................

Dear lord man , where are you shopping ??

-J.

-J.

Translation, please provide exact address so we can shop there, too. lol

-J.

That's going to be a long roundtrip for a chance to sniff a hard to find comic.

-J.

There are a couple of stores locally that have nice deals/steals on books on a regular basis, but a gentleman does not buy for cheap and tell.......... lol

Heck, one LCS found an old case of NM 98s in 2013 in their backstock and started selling them at $25 apiece. They slowly walked them up to $95.

Edited by kimik