• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

My Elektra set came in on Monday. No remark, but gorgeous & minty fresh. I didn't even realize that the B&W was a virgin cover when I ordered it. Still a gorgeous set.

X-Men Gold #3 is going to have a JSC variant. I don't know the ratio but DCBS is already charging 4X what the (likely same ratio as Dan Mora variant is.. whoever the hell he is) preorder price for X-Men Blue #3's variant. Dammit... I really don't wanna pony up $50 for the preorder for a variant I haven't even seen yet. But my anal retentive main-X-Men-series complete-ism is demanding I do so.

3 hours ago, Doktor said:

X-Men Gold #3 is going to have a JSC variant. I don't know the ratio but DCBS is already charging 4X what the (likely same ratio as Dan Mora variant is.. whoever the hell he is) preorder price for X-Men Blue #3's variant. Dammit... I really don't wanna pony up $50 for the preorder for a variant I haven't even seen yet. But my anal retentive main-X-Men-series complete-ism is demanding I do so.

If you've seen JSC Instagram or FB, I'd say he already has shown some of the cover, including: Colossus, Storm, Old Man Logan and maybe 2 more characters. It looks nice, but $50 is a lot... again.

On March 9, 2017 at 0:32 PM, Doktor said:

Quite likely 1:25. I expect they'll get hammered with variant orders if they price it any lower. Midtown might carry it for less but that's on first come first serve basis so there's a risk they'll be sold out quickly.

22 hours ago, pkpickard said:

Apparently each of the Secret Empire issues will have a Campbell 1:50 variant?  (Bulk variant sets up on Frankie's Comics for issues 1-3.)

It's a rare instance when I'll say "nope" to a Campbell variant without even seeing it, even if it's a book I don't read, but my utter disdain for Nick Spencer as a writer & person & my desire to do my part in never buying anything with his name attached to it in hopes that he never gets another Marvel gig again prevents me from supporting even a Campbell variant for this title. Maybe if it was a JSC store exclusive.

1 hour ago, Doktor said:

It's a rare instance when I'll say "nope" to a Campbell variant without even seeing it, even if it's a book I don't read, but my utter disdain for Nick Spencer as a writer & person & my desire to do my part in never buying anything with his name attached to it in hopes that he never gets another Marvel gig again prevents me from supporting even a Campbell variant for this title. Maybe if it was a JSC store exclusive.

The retailer exclusives also get added to Diamond sales numbers. That's how Batman #1 and Harley Quinn #1 got 300+K unit sales.

For something with 3 cover variations like JSC frequently does, that's an extra 5,500 copies sold (Cvr A 3000, Cvr B 1500, Cvr C 1000). Granted, that's a lot less than if 1,000 people were to pay a premium for a copy of the JSC 1:50 (51K minimum sales).

10 minutes ago, aerischan said:

The retailer exclusives also get added to Diamond sales numbers. That's how Batman #1 and Harley Quinn #1 got 300+K unit sales.

For something with 3 cover variations like JSC frequently does, that's an extra 5,500 copies sold (Cvr A 3000, Cvr B 1500, Cvr C 1000). Granted, that's a lot less than if 1,000 people were to pay a premium for a copy of the JSC 1:50 (51K minimum sales).

I know that... but I feel like because I wouldn't be contributing to driving up sales to hit ratio variant numbers, I'd be supporting this book (and this awful writer) less if it was a store exclusive. Whether or not that's ACTUALLY true (a sale is a sale is a sale), it's just the psychological trick ratio variants play on me compared to store variants or even orderable variants.

*edited my post because it was really rough to read & didn't flow at all*

Edited by Doktor

1 minute ago, Califelix said:

The Campbell exclusive X-Men Golds are amazing.....I think his best work in a while. Can't wait for these!

Ditto....is one of these the same as the incentive cover for this? Or is that a different one as well?

I'm going to be first in line for a set of these. X-Men + Campbell = TAKE MY MONEY! Also easily one of his best covers in a few years. He definitely had fun with this one. Very 80's style & I love it.