• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

I calculate things like this

How much I bought - How much I sold = Profit

I just include losses for myself to see how well I'm doing and yes every fee is already calculated into this.

Where in the hell did you learn that Expenses - Revenue = Profit???

It's the other way around!!. Otherwise if your expense is $100 and your revenue is $150, then your profit will be a NEGATIVE number (i.e. a loss).

Come one man, this is BASIC BASIC accounting! Stop everything and start LEARNING.

And like I posted a page or so ago.....

Why the heck do you use a different tallying system for "Little books" compared to your "Big books"???

What's with all the extra additional numbers in the Little Books rows????

Little Books

Bought $2455.12+247.01+699.53=$3401.68

Sold $4007.43+1679.24=$5686.67

Losses $1079.43+637.19= $1716.62

Profit $568.37

Big Books

Bought $5329.03

Sold $2340

Losses $2989.03

Where do all those extra numbers come from???

I don't have my business books on me anymore but I was always taught this

Amount paid - Amount sold = Profit

If that's not how it goes then I can fix that so basically I do the opposite of what I've been doing? Those numbers aren't extra at all it was calculated the max number my calculator count count at that time so I wrote do each one then added them.

Would it be too much to ask to see a total $ amount spent (including unsold inventory) and a total $ amount sold?

It does not have to be complicated.

Some may not agree but technically would unsold comics still count as a negative for basic accounting purposes?

Shouldn't be too hard either way, three simple numbers

Cost of goods sold

Revenue

Inventory

Are the numbers you're looking for

Thanks

emotions don't equal stupidity

No offense Gabe, but you have an issue with both.

Hmm I'm not the sharpest guy but I'm determined.

be more determined to get a full time job. less determined to someday hopefully maybe break-even selling comics. A man can only be so determined. Re-prioritize your levels. You can always adjust your levels again when you've achieved some professional success.

But seriously, you have a crippling and costly addiction, and I don't think you'll find any true happiness or professional success until you kick the addiction. Which is fine, I guess, if you want to stay exactly where you are for the rest of your life.

But nothing else is going to change if YOU don't change, except that everyone else that who's smarter and works harder keeps taking things that you think you're entitled to (jobs, comics, money, women), because you think 'saying that you're determined' somehow means something to anyone. And I'll give you credit for 'being determined', because it does have some value, but its not enough value, and its not a tangible value unless your actions and results also indicate how determined you are.

What do you have to offer to any job other than "I'm determined", especially when there's no evidence to suggest it?

Don't think you can improve and impress as a dishwasher?

- Get in better shape, you can stand longer, move faster, carry more, scrub harder, be less tired, not to mention you would LOOK BETTER and FEEL BETTER.

- Be extremely presentable, nails, hair, hygiene, facial hair, clean clothes

- Keep your station clean, help clean other areas when you have free time.

- Be the fastest, cleanest dishwasher in your restaurant. Make it impossible for them not to give you more hours or notice your attention to detail.

- You can even research online or youtube for tricks to do the job better.

- Be polite (please, thank you, no swearing, sir, ma'am, etc) and friendly to EVERYONE, always have a smile on your face, like you want to be there. This will make you actually feel better, and make others feel better around you.

- If you're interested in becoming a server/waiter, ask the actual servers/waiters about their jobs, how they do it, what they like, what they don't, what tricks there are, etc.

Are you doing any or all of these things? Why or why not? Are you the best dishwasher wherever you work? Why or why not? How are you improving?

From my experience, most restaurants would love to put a clean-cut fit friendly polite white guy in his 20's out in the front room if at all possible, especially if they ALREADY KNOW THEY CAN TRUST YOU, because you're such an awesome worker.

or keep doing what you're doing.

Maybe he should get his sister to do his books for him too, she does a decent job helping him with the videos (shrug)

Serious suggestion BTW.

No I would have to ask my dad or brother they're math wiz's

Would it be too much to ask to see a total $ amount spent (including unsold inventory) and a total $ amount sold?

Some may not agree but technically would unsold comics still count as a negative for basic accounting purposes?

Cost of goods sold

Revenue

Inventory

I wouldn't want to see the accurate numbers either after losing money after 2 years of effort.

Either way I'll have to see it

Cost of goods sold

Revenue

Inventory

I wouldn't want to see the accurate numbers either after losing money after 2 years of effort.

I have no idea why I thought it was 3 years and not 2. (shrug)

Probably it seems like I've been doing this for a long time.

I just include losses for myself to see how well I'm doing and yes every fee is already calculated into this.

It's the other way around!!. Otherwise if your expense is $100 and your revenue is $150, then your profit will be a NEGATIVE number (i.e. a loss).

Come one man, this is BASIC BASIC accounting! Stop everything and start LEARNING.

Why the heck do you use a different tallying system for "Little books" compared to your "Big books"???

Little Books

Profit $568.37

Big Books

Bought $5329.03

Sold $2340

Losses $2989.03

If that's not how it goes then I can fix that so basically I do the opposite of what I've been doing? Those numbers aren't extra at all it was calculated the max number my calculator count count at that time so I wrote do each one then added them.

the correct way to calculate profit it is: GO TAKE A BASIC BUSINESS CLASS. If you can't pass it, business is not for you.

Inventory Update

Total Comics Bought $11,048.55

Total Comics sold $10,424.16

Inventory $1448

Loss $624.39

Not yet sold: 27

Comics Lost on: 28

Big Comics VS Little Comics Comparison

Little Books

Profit $568.37

Big Books

Bought $5329.03

Sold $2340

Losses $2989.03

The above numbers make no sense.

You bought $3,401.68 in "little" books and $5,329.03 in "big" books and you currently have $1,448 in inventory? That's $10,178.71. Where did your "total comics bought" number of $11,048.55 come from?

Furthermore, if these numbers are correct....

Inventory $1448

You have a profit of $823.61, not a loss. You spent $11,048.55 on books, you still have $1,448 of inventory, you sold $10,424.16 of them.

Sales ($10,424.16) - COGS ($11,048.55 - $1,448) = $823.61

??????

You total loss of ~$600 in the first section also doesn't come close to matching up with your profits and losses in the big and little books section.

If this is how you are calculating your progress after 2 years, it's time to throw in the towel. No offense.

The inventory update and little books vs big books are meant two be looked at as two separate things because I've been asked to calculate to separate things

What makes you feel like you deserve a job that you love and pays well?

Why do you deserve it more than the person working full time and going to school full time? Or the person working 2 jobs to take care of his family?

Why do you deserve it more than the soldier fighting for his country?

Why do you deserve it more than the soccer player born with innate skills and crazy work ethic?

Why do you deserve it more than the PHD student who has done 15 years of schooling AFTER high school including research that might actually HELP someone someday?

Why do you deserve it more than every other person who finished college? or trade school? Or served in the military? OR doesn't have emotional issues?

Do you deserve it more than every single person with more business experience, sense, education, or experience than you?

Do you even deserve it more than the son who's dad buys him a comic book store? Why or why not?

Why on earth would you be entitled to a job you enjoy AND pays well? What if you had a passion for something but it didn't pay well? Or what if you had a valuable talent, but you didn't enjoy it?

You can find joy, honor (more than you'll ever have), and respect in ANY honest job, done diligently and with pride.

And if you want to find something you enjoy but pays well, why the eff are you even remotely interested in comics? How many full time comic dealers on the planet do you think pull down six figures? And how many are in Canada? Do you have any idea? You probably have a better shot at joining the CFL or being a rodeo clown.

You are currently a million miles away from even THINKING about a job that pays well that you enjoy. You can work towards one, but your level of entitlement (especially when coupled with your political views) is absurdly disheartening and frustrating. You're not operating in a reality that actually exists. You're operating in an addicts spiral, exacerbated by mental, emotional, and learning issues, mixed with healthy doses of questionable (at best) entitlement world views.

I never said I should get one immediately and without any effort but everyone deserves something career wise that makes them happy. I'm not responsible and shouldn't be responsible for the actions of others like all those examples you mentioned, I never forced their choices upon them. I'm interested in comics because I can make money with them and I read some of them as well. Again you're saying it like I want a amazing job now and that's not right it's something to work towards. I don't talk politics on here for more then one reason.

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG!

24580991749_4c8e26c550_b.jpg

You deserve what you earn in life.

Anything else are gifts, gravy and icing on the cake.

Why do you keep thinking I'm talking about the present?

Past, present, or future, the statement "everyone deserves something career-wise that makes them happy" is never true. Believing it is true is why many people here have said you have an entitled attitude.

You don't deserve a career that makes you happy simply by existing no matter how old you are. People who have careers that make them happy have earned their position in life through hard work and patience.

This is what jcjames is trying to convey to you.

Finally, it seems there are some here that are here simply to poke fun at or just flat out insult Gabe. If it's not constructive or at least funny (Gabe seems to have thick skin and a decent sense of humor), maybe try not to post here. And leave the election talk at the door lest this thread get scrubbed.

Thanks for explaining that I always wondered why no matter what I said James would say I was entitled, having a sense of humor is needed in this world you can't be serious all the time or people won't want to be around you.

Not even lip service to the main point this time? :pullhair:

Acknowledge the fact that you (or me, or anyone) don't inherently deserve a career that makes you happy...such a situation is earned. This acknowledgement is typically the first step on the road to success. It seems like you're not even prepared to start down that road yet. :(

there's more cost than just buying a book for X and selling for Y

theres also cost of shipping, shipping supplies, fees, time etc.

Are these numbers even factored into the numbers above?

Yes all fees and everything are calculated into the equation except time.

Edited by uchiha101

No kidding, but let's not run before we can walk here.

Yes everything but my time is factored into this.

This is the formula you've been using? Have you tried plugging in simple numbers to see if it even makes logical sense?

If you pay $2 for something and you sell it for $3, what is your profit?

Plug it into your formula and it's $2-$3 = -$1 (negative one)

According to your formula, the profit is negative in this simple situation. It doesn't make sense.

to be fair, probably don't need to factor in his time as a 'cost' with 'value'. But I'd include grading and pressing fees when applicable.

I already include those into the purchase price of what I buy at the time.

Little Books

Profit $568.37

Big Books

Bought $5329.03

Sold $2340

Losses $2989.03

the correct way to calculate profit it is: GO TAKE A BASIC BUSINESS CLASS. If you can't pass it, business is not for you.

its like you're trying to be a pro soccer player because you are physically capable of running and kicking a ball, but don't even know the rules of the game. And yes occasionally you can kick the ball in the right direction, but mostly its wrong and occasionally you get run over. Yes I guess you could keep running around the field and pick up some of the rules if you're an observant person and people are trying to tell to yell at you from the sidelines, but no rational person can possibly think that's the best way to become a pro soccer player. Why not take some time to understand some of the rules? Or if its apparent that your kicking isn't strong and you don't run very fast, why not work on those first before you get onto the field? If you never bother to learn the rules or learn to kick accurately, you will never be a pro soccer player.

for the Canadians or other internationals, soccer = football (non-American) = futbol = footie

I'm pretty sure that the more he buys and sells, the better he gets at math. I'm no biologist, but I'm pretty sure that's how math works. Many people are saying that's how people learn math. Trust me, I know all the best mathematicians and sellers of great things.

My sister is one example and I've been doing more of this kinda math as well.

Inventory Update

Inventory $1448

Loss $624.39

Little Books

Profit $568.37

Big Books

Bought $5329.03

Sold $2340

Losses $2989.03

You bought $3,401.68 in "little" books and $5,329.03 in "big" books and you currently have $1,448 in inventory? That's $10,178.71. Where did your "total comics bought" number of $11,048.55 come from?

Inventory $1448

You have a profit of $823.61, not a loss. You spent $11,048.55 on books, you still have $1,448 of inventory, you sold $10,424.16 of them.

??????

You total loss of ~$600 in the first section also doesn't come close to matching up with your profits and losses in the big and little books section.

If this is how you are calculating your progress after 2 years, it's time to throw in the towel. No offense.

He said his inventory amount is the amount he bought it for and estimates his inventory is probably worth $600 - $800. I still can't make sense of the rest of it but it looks like he is going to break even once he sells the rest of his inventory for a loss.

That would be correct

Inventory Update

Inventory $1448

Loss $624.39

Just joining in here so I don't know specifics but it seems you would have been better off dropping 11k into a Hulk 1 and flipping it.

I was told that or a AF15 but I wouldn't have made all the mistakes that I have.

:facepalm:

According to Gabe, all those numbers are factored in to the numbers he posted.

What that really means is anyone's guess though.

It means, shipping, supplies, ebay and paypal fees, and grading and pressing costs if applicable including what I paid for it in the first place.

Inventory Update

Inventory $1448

Loss $624.39

Little Books

Profit $568.37

Big Books

Bought $5329.03

Sold $2340

Losses $2989.03

Inventory $1448

??????

He said his inventory amount is the amount he bought it for and estimates his inventory is probably worth $600 - $800. I still can't make sense of the rest of it but it looks like he is going to break even once he sells the rest of his inventory for a loss.

Breaking even at this point is probably the best case scenario for him. 2c

That would be good be making a profit would be better.

Inventory Update

Inventory $1448

Loss $624.39

Just joining in here so I don't know specifics but it seems you would have been better off dropping 11k into a Hulk 1 and flipping it.

I was told that or a AF15 but I wouldn't have made all the mistakes that I have.

.. but that would be a GOOD thing, Gabe.

Maybe but then I wouldn't have all this advice

8 8