• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, 01TheDude said:

Someone did that a while ago for all the Strange Tale appearances.

1585638408_stalt110.jpg.66b03547f9ba67424d8164732db9d091.jpg318003425_stalt111.jpg.9c31d599e9ab2f32f9d54e0959593da0.jpg

and the rest of the covers he got half arsed billing on from 114 through 145 (146 his first solo cover and Ditko's last effort)

I'm glad you brought that up. The Dr. Strange fan - he is probably the biggest fan I've ever seen.

The Ditko covers that he put together from interior images are really cool.

This should be the link:  https://www.howardhallis.com/drstrange/customs/index.html

These would make terrific posters!

Or - I know there are several comic facsimiles for sale out there (some legit, some not), but I would absolutely buy one if it had one of these covers.

1 hour ago, HighVoltage said:

I'm glad you brought that up. The Dr. Strange fan - he is probably the biggest fan I've ever seen.

The Ditko covers that he put together from interior images are really cool.

This should be the link:  https://www.howardhallis.com/drstrange/customs/index.html

These would make terrific posters!

Or - I know there are several comic facsimiles for sale out there (some legit, some not), but I would absolutely buy one if it had one of these covers.

I'm glad you recalled the link to the information. I probably have it somewhere but remember downloading all those covers and putting with my Strange Tales scans.

Another thing possibly worth looking at are the covers that Marvel did when they reprinted some Doctor Strange stories later in the 1970s before closing the volume 1 for issues ST 182-188.

Like the story found in ST 123 reprinted in ST 182.

marvel-comics-strange-tales-vol-1-issue-182.jpg

Or the Baron Mordo story found in ST 130 -- also note the huge need in ST 130 to apologize for not making the usual Human Torch Thing cover the focus.

1887425328_ST183-a.thumb.jpg.ca6126f2c9e31b41336567b10502a6a9.jpg

1165069465_ST130-a.thumb.jpg.475fd61f79ccb02cc2247aa02a335b01.jpg

Edited by 01TheDude

13 hours ago, Bluemedgroup said:

Actually quite agree.  With 2nd movie coming out, surprised it hasn’t really moved.  It’s undervalued compared to others, probably due to the crappy Paste Pot Pete cover.  

Now don’t you be saying anything negative about my Petey.  (tsk)

What combo could possibly be better than Paste and Pot!  :sumo:

15 minutes ago, carter3175 said:

I have not seen a raw X-Men 1 on sale in a long time.

It’s a pretty hot book now - I’d say somewhere between $6-9 G’s from a 3.5-5 but vary 

check out go collect - they are fairy accurate with present FMV

https://comics.gocollect.com/guide/view/124354

3 minutes ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

It’s a pretty hot book now - I’d say somewhere between $6-9 G’s from a 3.5-5 but vary 

check out go collect - they are fairy accurate with present FMV

https://comics.gocollect.com/guide/view/124354

According to that guide this should be $5,500.  You are right they are hot right now.  I will have to keep my eyes open.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Men-1-CGC-3-0-1st-App-Prof-X-Cyclops-Iceman-Angel-Beast-Magneto-Jean-Grey/254799340091?hash=item3b5339623b:g:bIYAAOSwV3Rfy9Ma

5 minutes ago, SuperBird said:

In terms of undervalued Marvel keys, Avengers 1 stands out to me as way under-valued, seeing as how it's the foundation of everything Marvel movie. It's also currently the cheapest one. 

True and killer cover , although 1st appearance of the Avengers , no character first appearances 

42 minutes ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

True and killer cover , although 1st appearance of the Avengers , no character first appearances 

Exactly why the reason its held back. Probably need to grab some copies in the next few years as the price will go down as people will forget about them.  And then in 15-20 years kids who watched the movies will be nostalgic to buy the first app and prices will shoot back up.  

5 hours ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

True and a double FA - I wonder if that is due to the show on the horizon or if it is a sign of all X-men going up ...

Probably both--that book should be priced higher than it's been for a while now, and with it looking like Wanda is going to be key to the MCU going forward, no reason it won't continue to rise, even independent of the X-Men connection.