• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

This pic is from the last page of the Aquaman story in Adventure Comics 259. Aquaman had been appearing as a backup feature for many years in Adventure Comics. The Aquaman in Adventure Comics 260 and Showcase is the same Aquaman. The story is 260 is a origin story, not a re-introduction of the character. The Aquaman in Showcase is the same character.

I really have no stake in the value of these books argument, I would just say that 260 is NOT the first silver age Aquaman, it is his origin. No different than Superman 106 is a origin issue of Superman. It is actually worth LESS lol in guide than surrounding issues. [/img]

Well, in the same spirit (and I know we've gone through this before, but)... :foryou:

MF 73 = Aquaman is a human, the son of an undersea scientist/explorer.

Adv 260 = Aquaman is an Atlantian and heir to the throne of a still-existing Atlantis. In general, it's the origin we're familiar with today.

To make your comparison stick, this would be the general equivalent of Action 1 saying that Superman was the mutant son of a circus strongman and then Supes 106 finally revealing that he was a strange visitor from the planet Krypton.

That's not to say that there aren't some VERY noteworthy origin retolds along the way with Superman. Supes 53 is the obvious one, Action 158 is another very important one. There are others. But they are additions to the core origin idea, whereas I think Adv 260 is a pretty significant departure from what had gone before.

If we're saying Adventure 260 is Aquaman's origin story, you and I agree. If you're saying it is any kind of first appearance, we are in disagreement.

I'm saying it fits the definition (and time-frame) of a Silver Age reboot, and that MF 73 Aquaman and Adv 260 Aquaman are demonstrably different characters.

If anybody has a better idea of what the first appearance of "Adv 260 Aquaman" could be, I love good theories about this stuff. (thumbs u

That said, I don't agree it's Adv 229, and think that's been arbitrarily chosen because it has the same cover-date as Showcase 4.

Are there noteworthy additions to the Aquaman canon between MF 73 and Adv 260?

edit to add -- reading through the entire Fradon era would probably be somewhat useful. I should do that at some point. hm

Edited by markseifert

Showcase 30 isn't a key. At best it is a mediocre over-priced part of a collection. Zero solid arguments in this thread thus far to support it.

Not a first appearance, not a solo title and at best is a re-telling of an origin story. This isn't any different than the hundreds of reboots over the years across various characters and ages. It isn't a significant piece of comic history in any way shape or form.

meh

Showcase 30 isn't a key. At best it is a mediocre over-priced part of a collection. Zero solid arguments in this thread thus far to support it.

Not a first appearance, not a solo title and at best is a re-telling of an origin story. This isn't any different than the hundreds of reboots over the years across various characters and ages. It isn't a significant piece of comic history in any way shape or form.

meh

+1

The fact that people need to work so hard to try to make it more than what it is (including all of those sellers of it on ebay falsely calling it his "first SA appearance") is telling in and of itself.

-J.

Showcase #30 isn't a traditional SA revival key, but it is notable as a tryout for a solo Aquaman title, and 1st Aquaman cover outside being a member of the JLA, for a character that had been around for 20 years. I'd consider it more important than Aquaman #1, the same way Showcase #9 is more important than Lois Lane #1.

That said, Aquaman is still lame.

Showcase #30 isn't a traditional SA revival key, but it is notable as a tryout for a solo Aquaman title, and 1st Aquaman cover outside being a member of the JLA, for a character that had been around for 20 years. I'd consider it more important than Aquaman #1, the same way Showcase #9 is more important than Lois Lane #1.

This. This. A thousand times this.

I would argue that Aquaman reached such dizzying heights of lameness that he entered a kitschy wormhole, came out on the other side, and is now unmitigatedly amazeballs.

A founding member of the Super Friends stars in his first solo book. How is that not a key?

I would argue that Aquaman reached such dizzying heights of lameness that he entered a kitschy wormhole, came out on the other side, and is now unmitigatedly amazeballs.

A founding member of the Super Friends stars in his first solo book. How is that not a key?

:eyeroll:

Saying something a thousand times doesn't make it any more true than one or a million. I get you are trying to emphasize a point, but the reference doesn't legitimize your statement.

Things like "first tryout issue" and "first cover outside JLA" are not reasons for a book to be considered key. They aren't even close to a realistic justification of what could qualify a book to be key. "First appearance" or even "first appearance in X age" are reasons to be considered some level of "key." Beyond that there is a very short list that includes things like: first famous artist or writer and significant plot or social issue...not "first tryout."

FYI - his first solo book is Aquaman 1, not Showcase 30.

meh

To me, Aquaman is anything but lame. I have always loved Aquaman. :)

Saying something a thousand times doesn't make it any more true than one or a million. I get you are trying to emphasize a point, but the reference doesn't legitimize your statement.

Things like "first tryout issue" and "first cover outside JLA" are not reasons for a book to be considered key. They aren't even close to a realistic justification of what could qualify a book to be key. "First appearance" or even "first appearance in X age" are reasons to be considered some level of "key." Beyond that there is a very short list that includes things like: first famous artist or writer and significant plot or social issue...not "first tryout."

meh

Yes, they are.

To me, Adventure 260, Showcase 30 and Aquaman 1 are all key issues.

meh

Whether it is a key or not, the market is speaking re: value. That is all that matters.

meh

I was actually making a reference to the quote "Yes! Yes! A thousand times yes!" because I need a little variety in my life, and typing +1 all the time bores me.

I also thought that Showcase #9 was an excellent example, because Lois had appeared in more than 300 comics at this point, but she never had her name featured in the title before. The same thing happens for one of DC's most important superheroes(one of the most well known comic book characters in existence) in showcase #30; Aquaman is finally ready for prime time.

The way I view this is that Showcase #30 is a key book in my collection and it isn't in yours. I'm totally fine with that.

As a collector, the books I search for are important to me for my own personal reasons and I only care about their value because it helps me prioritize my future purchases. Obviously, I'd much rather fill a hole in my collection before the book I need triples in price. Also, I'll always search for underrated books that I think will earn me $$$ in the future, because it's a fun way to turn your comics into more comics. Other than that, who cares?

Honestly, I'll take it a step further and say that one of the great pleasures of joining these boards is discussing your shared love of comic books. Not everything needs to be sunshine and roses, friendly debate can be fun too, but why do you care if someone else considers something a key? There is no right or wrong answer here.

meh

I was actually making a reference to the quote "Yes! Yes! A thousand times yes!" because I need a little variety in my life, and typing +1 all the time bores me.

I also thought that Showcase #9 was an excellent example, because Lois had appeared in more than 300 comics at this point, but she never had her name featured in the title before. The same thing happens for one of DC's most important superheroes(one of the most well known comic book characters in existence) in showcase #30; Aquaman is finally ready for prime time.

The way I view this is that Showcase #30 is a key book in my collection and it isn't in yours. I'm totally fine with that.

As a collector, the books I search for are important to me for my own personal reasons and I only care about their value because it helps me prioritize my future purchases. Obviously, I'd much rather fill a hole in my collection before the book I need triples in price. Also, I'll always search for underrated books that I think will earn me $$$ in the future, because it's a fun way to turn your comics into more comics. Other than that, who cares?

Honestly, I'll take it a step further and say that one of the great pleasures of joining these boards is discussing your shared love of comic books. Not everything needs to be sunshine and roses, friendly debate can be fun too, but why do you care if someone else considers something a key? There is no right or wrong answer here.

I think we are having two different conversations here.

You are alluding to your own personal qualification and list, great. However, the general conversation is about a larger consensus - or lack thereof.

Right or wrong, I disagreed with your statement. Just as you felt the need to share your opinion, I felt the same.

:shrug:

meh

+1

Thank you

Showcase 30 is in fact not a key and has never been a book anybody chased before his appearance in a movie was announced. That single event did not suddenly turn this book into a "key". Temporary perceived "value" or not, there is nothing remotely important about that book for it to warrant such a lofty designation. I understand that many people have bought this book believing it is something that is not. Lesson learned. But please, please, don't let the fact that you own or like this book cause you to retcon it in your imagination into being a "key". Just keep it real and enjoy owning your non-key book that you like.

-J.

Sanctimonious self-serving sentimental silliness.

This thread is full of poppycock.

Showcase 30 is rising on a movie high and being sold on a stack of lies. Not a solid argument in the bunch giving it any credence as any form of a key and continued statements of "it's in my personal collection and I personally value it as such" and "simple refusal to counter-point" are prime examples of the nonsense.

+1 to J

meh

+1

Thank you

No thank you.

I don't care either way this goes. But giving Aquaman a solo turn in Showcase at that point at DC was a significant moment for the character. Lots of lingering GA second rate heroes never got that top billing Showcase chance... Or did many years later.

So clearly Showcase 30 stands out as a key book. But is it the first Aquaman of any kind? Probably a reboot first appearance given the new Atlantean origin that has stuck ever since.

It would be far easier though if Aquaman hade been gone for a decade prior to #30 though! Like Flash, Atom, GL etc etc