• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, bpc3qh said:

Kind of hoping to see some of the WandaVision spec books die down a bit, so maybe I can pick up 4.0-6.0 copies on the downswing.

Just for laughs I went over to eBay and looked up West Coast Avengers #45 (the first appearance of the white Vision, not Silver Age of course).  Hilarious stuff.

What else do you consider WandaVision spec books?  I know a lot of folks are thinking Silver Surfer #3 (Mephisto), though I'm guessing speculation on that will continue regardless of whether he shows up in the season finale (I think it's highly unlikely).

4 minutes ago, bpc3qh said:

That one for sure, also FF94. ASM Annual 16 probably isn't going down because of Captain Marvel 2, but I'll monitor it.

I would love it if Surfer #3 cooled off so I can upgrade my 9.4 to 9.6, but I imagine the Mephisto speculation will continue even if he doesn't show up here.

Agatha Harkness and Captain Marvel (Photon or whatever) are both obviously in the series, and will presumably be developed further in other stories, so I wonder if their books will come down.

Apparently, Paul Bettany (the Vision actor) said that there will be a big character showing up in the finale.  I suppose it could simply be Dr. Strange, which would make the most sense plot-wise and wouldn't likely move the needle on his books.  But if it's someone else, we'll probably see another feeding frenzy on the appropriate book(s).

3 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I suppose it could simply be Dr. Strange, which would make the most sense plot-wise and wouldn't likely move the needle on his books.  But if it's someone else, we'll probably see another feeding frenzy on the appropriate book(s).

A ST 110 CGC 5.5 just sold on eBay auction for $4,318.

3 hours ago, zosocane said:

A ST 110 CGC 5.5 just sold on eBay auction for $4,318.

Right, but do you consider that directly related to WandaVision?

At this point Dr. Strange's role in the MCU is well established, and everyone has known for a while that he has a big sequel coming out that will establish the "multiverse" in the MCU.  That shouldn't be a variable in the crazy market we've seen this past month or two.

2 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Right, but do you consider that directly related to WandaVision?

At this point Dr. Strange's role in the MCU is well established, and everyone has known for a while that he has a big sequel coming out that will establish the "multiverse" in the MCU.  That shouldn't be a variable in the crazy market we've seen this past month or two.

Partially, yes.  WandaVision has laid down a marker that (i) these Marvel Studios TV shows are 100% part of the MCU story tapestry and (ii) quality-wise they will be as good as the full-length films.  It's created a renewed excitement for all-things Marvel, which translates to a lot of value creation.  The price jumps we've seen just from the last 45 days on all of these Silver and Bronze Age keys and semi-keys isn't a coincidence -- Wanda Vision began airing 45 days ago.  Next up is Falcon/Winter Soldier, that will keep hype going into April and May.  And then of course the other announced shows, such as Loki.  We're in for quite a ride in terms of new Marvel Studios content (again, value creation), and this is without taking into consideration any theatrical-only releases such as Black Widow and the rest of the film slate.

12 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I would love it if Surfer #3 cooled off so I can upgrade my 9.4 to 9.6, but I imagine the Mephisto speculation will continue even if he doesn't show up here.

Agatha Harkness and Captain Marvel (Photon or whatever) are both obviously in the series, and will presumably be developed further in other stories, so I wonder if their books will come down.

Apparently, Paul Bettany (the Vision actor) said that there will be a big character showing up in the finale.  I suppose it could simply be Dr. Strange, which would make the most sense plot-wise and wouldn't likely move the needle on his books.  But if it's someone else, we'll probably see another feeding frenzy on the appropriate book(s).

I think he was probably talking about himself.

(But, with one more episode to go, that might change ... (shrug) )

Edited by MusterMark

1 hour ago, zosocane said:

Partially, yes.  WandaVision has laid down a marker that (i) these Marvel Studios TV shows are 100% part of the MCU story tapestry and (ii) quality-wise they will be as good as the full-length films.

Judy and I usually prefer the TV shows. With those, the creators aren't forced to choose which "easter eggs" to cram in to try and keep everyone happy, usually resulting in a sloppy disjointed mess .... and you still have to hear the squealing and whining from those who won't be happy no matter what. I have a friend who so far has only liked the first Captain America film, claiming they don't follow the SA comics. I try to explain that those comics were geared to 12 year olds and the target market for films is 18-65 , but there's no reaching him. I like most of the movies, but there's nothing quite like binge watching an entire season of SHIELD. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

White Vision essentially means the return of Ultron.   Some folks already expected that Ultron would return to the MCU sooner rather than later, but this would be quite soon!   If they use Ultron's voice (Spader's, from the movie), that woudl be waaaaay coool.  I wonder if Avengers #55 heats up.  

Edited by Pantodude

9 hours ago, Pantodude said:

White Vision essentially means the return of Ultron.   Some folks already expected that Ultron would return to the MCU sooner rather than later, but this would be quite soon!   If they use Ultron's voice (Spader's, from the movie), that woudl be waaaaay coool.  I wonder if Avengers #55 heats up.  

Weren't AV #54 and #55 selling for more than they do now at the peak of movie hype a few years back? Seems like that would be a cautionary tale for those buying all the Wandavision tie-ins at a premium right now. 

15 minutes ago, rjpb said:

Weren't AV #54 and #55 selling for more than they do now at the peak of movie hype a few years back? Seems like that would be a cautionary tale for those buying all the Wandavision tie-ins at a premium right now. 

I seem to remember that 54 and 55 suffered particularly badly from a post-movie drop. Worse than other such books, in terms of rise and subsequent fall.

33 minutes ago, rjpb said:

I recall that too, but apparently the down was overdone.  AV55 has a ways to go to catch up to those 2013/2014 levels.  But before Wandavision and even the pandemic, AV55 prices have been rising, mostly mid- to high-grades.  Not like Daredevil, but inching up.  Currently quite a bit higher across all grades from 2019 average and 2020 averages.  For example, before White Vision in Wandavision, a 9.8 sold in January for $5040, and 90-day average is $3770 (2 books), and 12-month average is $3093 (4 books), all higher than 2019 average of $2,157 (6 books) and 2020 average of $2,415 (2 books). 

Keeps me thinking, since Ultron is a cool villain.  Starring in the movie few years ago was one thing.  Just thought that Ultron coming back in an important next-phase setting series like Wandavision makes this villain more enduring.  And that it would keep the book going up, even if it doesn't blow up.  

Edited by Pantodude

On 2/27/2021 at 3:44 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I' m all in for it staying hot.   I've got the Slobodian 9.6, another 9.6, and the Northland 9.4.   All rare white pages #3's.     

Is there a knock-on to TTA #52 finally?

Not much in the number of sales, but there is a slow, small continuous trend forming.

Nathan Garrett must feature somewhere in the Black Knight saga in the MCU

And yes, I do have a couple of copies before anyone asks inc the 9.4 I bought on these very boards.

Iron Man Kills Garrett (For those who came in Late...) and on his deathbed tells Whitman where the sword is.

You then get Whitman off to Sir Percy's tomb.

It ties the 3 knights together.

I don't see how Sir Percy and Dane Whitman can meet without Nathan Garrett - and then meet Sersi in the 'Eternals' movie.

Makes sense to me anyway!

Or maybe wishful thinking as I own a couple of copies!

3 hours ago, Beige said:

Is there a knock-on to TTA #52 finally?

Not much in the number of sales, but there is a slow, small continuous trend forming.

Nathan Garrett must feature somewhere in the Black Knight saga in the MCU

And yes, I do have a couple of copies before anyone asks inc the 9.4 I bought on these very boards.

Iron Man Kills Garrett (For those who came in Late...) and on his deathbed tells Whitman where the sword is.

You then get Whitman off to Sir Percy's tomb.

It ties the 3 knights together.

I don't see how Sir Percy and Dane Whitman can meet without Nathan Garrett - and then meet Sersi in the 'Eternals' movie.

Makes sense to me anyway!

Or maybe wishful thinking as I own a couple of copies!

I bought my copy a couple of years ago and it was already one of the most expensive in the run.  Obviously these are just my personal data points, but the price I paid for #52 came in a little lower than #59 (1st Hulk in title) but higher than #57 (Spidey cross-over).

8 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I bought my copy a couple of years ago and it was already one of the most expensive in the run.  Obviously these are just my personal data points, but the price I paid for #52 came in a little lower than #59 (1st Hulk in title) but higher than #57 (Spidey cross-over).

#13 and #44 are the pack leaders (although #44 seems incredibly underpriced - however trying to find a copy over 8.0 / 8.5 is currently a fools errand) and #52 trails them by some way.

Under $450 for a TTA #52 8.5 seems very cheap to me.