• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE HULK #181 CLUB
24 24

1,668 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, GAMBIT said:

you named your 1st born son logan and DON'T know that H181 9.8 is a 35k+ book!... :taptaptap:(tsk)

:jokealert:

I would think for everyone's sanity it's standard protocol to never look up the value of a grade higher than the highest one you own.  I felt bad enough remembering how much they were worth 3 years ago.

Ok, so for those following my adventure in label errors, I finally got back from CGC my Hulk 181 ad page from Daredevil 115... for the 4th time! And, I give up. They did include “ad for Incredible Hulk 181” in the notation which is good but why the hell did they also write “page 10” in the notation when it already says “page 10 only” under “Daredevil 115”?! I feel like I am being punked by CGC. Every single resubmission gets a slightly wrong label. 

F88B0321-BA00-43A5-A715-C7906DFD06DF.jpeg

^Couple questions (apologies for joining your journey late)

1. What is the error? The fact they list page 10 twice? Is that really an error or just them stating the same info twice?

2. How many times have you submitted this page?

3. Why? You can purchase the issue the ad is in for less. Granted, if slabbed you dont see the ad so I guess you having this makes some sense for displaying purposes....

35 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

^Couple questions (apologies for joining your journey late)

1. What is the error? The fact they list page 10 twice? Is that really an error or just them stating the same info twice?

2. How many times have you submitted this page?

3. Why? You can purchase the issue the ad is in for less. Granted, if slabbed you dont see the ad so I guess you having this makes some sense for displaying purposes....

1) yes the error is that they listed Page 10 twice. It should only be once. The first version I got back from CGC was correct in the notation but incorrect in the grade (they labeled it NG instead of PG). The second time, they left off the notation entirely. The third time looked just like the second and now this fourth time is what you see. In every submission I include notes on the pack-in slip as well as written on the slab exactly what the notation should say. I even call to confirm what it should say yet somehow they just don’t listen. It’s not like I am asking for a favor because they wrote the notation correctly the first time. 

2) 4 times

3) The book sucks. The page is awesome. And you are correct, it is for displaying purposes. It also has an added bonus. The Silver Samurai (one of Wolverine’s recurring enemy) is my second favorite character after Wolverine. It just so happens that Silver Samurai debuts in Daredevil 111. And it so happens that the letters surrounding the ad in this page talk about Daredevil 111 and Silver Samurai.

the photo below shows the first version. Note the correct notation but they mis-graded it as NG and they included an extra “Page 10” where you are suppose to write “limited edition” or something like that

B1A8803B-DC72-4F80-9E36-F29685D88764.jpeg

Edited by justin

4 hours ago, justin said:

Ok, so for those following my adventure in label errors, I finally got back from CGC my Hulk 181 ad page from Daredevil 115... for the 4th time! And, I give up. They did include “ad for Incredible Hulk 181” in the notation which is good but why the hell did they also write “page 10” in the notation when it already says “page 10 only” under “Daredevil 115”?! I feel like I am being punked by CGC. Every single resubmission gets a slightly wrong label. 

F88B0321-BA00-43A5-A715-C7906DFD06DF.jpeg

Minor indiscretion. I don't know that anyone would know or even care that "page 10" is not supposed to be notated twice. The important thing is that they notated the ad. It looks great! 

What did they leave out of the notation the second & third times?

2 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Minor indiscretion. I don't know that anyone would know or even care that "page 10" is not supposed to be notated twice. The important thing is that they notated the ad. It looks great! 

What did they leave out of the notation the second & third times?

I know no one else will probably care, but it is important to me. That said, I won’t be resubmitting it because it has been a 6 month ordeal and at least the notation does mention Hulk 181. It’s just annoying that there is still an error after 4 submissions

For the second and third submission they left out mentioning Hulk 181 entirely.

1 hour ago, davebo357 said:

But if the page isn't worth anything, why not just put it in a nice frame of your choice and make up your own label that says exactly what you want it to?

Because it is worth something to me and I want it in a CGC holder with proper notation. I also enjoy collecting CGC encapsulated pages. 

45 minutes ago, Gruson said:

I like this idea. I actually want to get the last page out of Hulk 180 slabbed.  Would look great. Anyone have it like that?

I've been meaning to send this out to cgc but just never get around to it. I cut it out from a beat up copy with half the front cover ripped off so it wasn't gonna serve any purpose there.

It looks to be a cream to off white but it's in decent shape without any stains or tears. My only concern and what's keeping me from doing it is they end up disregarding my notes and put the money page on the back of the slab :facepalm:

20191022_221305.jpg

11 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

I've been meaning to send this out to cgc but just never get around to it. I cut it out from a beat up copy with half the front cover ripped off so it wasn't gonna serve any purpose there.

It looks to be a cream to off white but it's in decent shape without any stains or tears. My only concern and what's keeping me from doing it is they end up disregarding my notes and put the money page on the back of the slab :facepalm:

20191022_221305.jpg

If you get it signed by Stan...no, Herb...no,  Len Wein then they will automatically put the signature side to the front of the slab.

Edited by justin

How much is a page worth? As a collector, I cannot ever imagine paying for just a page unless it was something extremely rare and unlikely for me to ever own. 

Then again, I guess for some owning Hulk #181 has become that. #180 is still obtainable but again, get that graded and you just have a crappy cover to look at and will never see the panel inside again. 

3 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

How much is a page worth? As a collector, I cannot ever imagine paying for just a page unless it was something extremely rare and unlikely for me to ever own. 

Then again, I guess for some owning Hulk #181 has become that. #180 is still obtainable but again, get that graded and you just have a crappy cover to look at and will never see the panel inside again. 

Pages can be worth a lot.  I sold my 1st wrap of Action #1 for 5 figures.  I also thought it was cool to be able to view the art, and read Superman's origin through the slab.

The 180 page is cool.  I would be less particular about slab notations.  It should really be about viewing the panel through the slab.  

5 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

^ Agreed

Buy the book not the grade...or what the grade or plastic says. Buy it for the love of what is inside and you can never go wrong. 

I agree about buying the book and not the grade. But it is different if you are the one who submits the book. When I submitted my page, I expected it to be done correctly because I am investing a lot of time and money. If I am paying CGC to have my page encapsulated, it should better well be correct. Is it too much to ask to give a label a once-over just to see if there are any errors? 

Edited by justin

20 hours ago, justin said:

Is it too much to ask to give a label a once-over just to see if there are any errors? 

Well the fact you submitted it four times and still aren't happy with it would seem to indicate the answer is "yes".  It appears that CGC as a company can only be relied upon for their expertise at grading things and should not be used as a framing/labeling company.  Do they happen to sell their slabs individually?  There are nicer comic book frames out there but for those of us who already have displays based around cgc slabs, it might be nice to use as a frame.