• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel film & TV rights shell game - who owns what?
5 5

345 posts in this topic

UPDATE: Added the Kevin Smith interview with Joe Quesada where Namor was brought up.

CONFIRMED:

20th Century Fox

Marvel Studios

Sony Pictures

Universal Pictures

UNCONFIRMED/UNCLEAR

Now look what Quesada did.

TMNT 2's Brian Tee Wants to Play Namor for Marvel Studios

We only just learned that Marvel Studios has the rights to Namor the Submariner, and already actors are throwing their proverbial swim trunks into the ring to play him.

First into the pool is actor Brian Tee, who can be seen this weekend as Shredder, one of several villains in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows. Tee, in an interview with Entertainment Tonight, was asked if he had a dream role. He first noted that "very few and far between, Asian-Americans and people of color are given these opportunities to be leads in films," saying that even if it's not him, "I would love to see more of that. The time has come for us to allow those situations to happen." When pressed, though, he did come up with one: Namor.

"This is what: Just saying, Marvel Studios just picked up the rights to Namor, who is the Submariner, and I would love to play the Submariner," Tee said. "I grew up as a comic geek and the Submariner is one of my childhood's fondest superheroes. I feel like I can play him! If there is one role, right now, that I would love to play, it would be Namor."

Now look what Quesada did.

TMNT 2's Brian Tee Wants to Play Namor for Marvel Studios

We only just learned that Marvel Studios has the rights to Namor the Submariner, and already actors are throwing their proverbial swim trunks into the ring to play him.

First into the pool is actor Brian Tee, who can be seen this weekend as Shredder, one of several villains in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows. Tee, in an interview with Entertainment Tonight, was asked if he had a dream role. He first noted that "very few and far between, Asian-Americans and people of color are given these opportunities to be leads in films," saying that even if it's not him, "I would love to see more of that. The time has come for us to allow those situations to happen." When pressed, though, he did come up with one: Namor.

"This is what: Just saying, Marvel Studios just picked up the rights to Namor, who is the Submariner, and I would love to play the Submariner," Tee said. "I grew up as a comic geek and the Submariner is one of my childhood's fondest superheroes. I feel like I can play him! If there is one role, right now, that I would love to play, it would be Namor."

It's amazing how an unsubstantiated rumor can take on a life of its own.

Marvel cannot do anything with Namor for as long as Universal is involved (and they still are until-or if- Feige comes out and says something otherwise).

-J.

UPDATE: James Gunn clarifies that the Skrulls are jointly owned by Fox and Marvel.

SKRULLS are 'Co-Owned' By MARVEL & FOX Says JAMES GUNN

CONFIRMED:

20th Century Fox

Marvel Studios

Sony Pictures

Universal Pictures

UNCONFIRMED/UNCLEAR

I had never heard this story before. But it turns out Paramount Pictures owned distribution rights for Marvel characters all the way up to Thor: The Dark World. Then Disney bought those rights back.

Your Guide To Which Movie Studios Own Marvel Characters (8/5/15)

Paramount Pictures

Paramount Pictures had distribution rights to the first films in the MCU – from 2008's Iron Man to 2011's Captain America: The First Avenger – with the exception of 2008's The Incredible Hulk, for which Universal has the distribution rights. Once Disney acquired Marvel Entertainment in 2009, it negotiated a deal in which Paramount would receive 8 and 9 percent of global distribution revenue for 2012's Avengers and 2013's Iron Man 3, respectively, according to Variety. Paramount's logo also appeared in promotional materials for both titles as part of the contract.

The deal ended with 2013's Thor: The Dark World, which was the first Marvel film without any involvement from an outside studio. Disney later acquired the rights to all three Iron Man movies, Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger and The Avengers. Still, the deal worked out for Paramount for a time, which earned a nice chunk of revenue from the distribution of these films.

Why Paramount, not Disney, gets ‘Avengers’ credit (10/11/11)

Knowing Disney wanted to turn “The Avengers” into a franchise and bank on the success of “Iron Man” after buying Marvel for $4 billion, Paramount’s brass negotiated a deal in which it continues to collect 8% of the B.O. as part of fees it would have earned for distributing the pic, as it did with the two “Iron Man” pics, “Thor” and “Captain America.” It gets 9% for “Iron Man 3.”

At the minimum, it earns $115 million, should they not perform.

At the same time, the deal granted Paramount placement on the marketing materials for both titles, even though Marvel’s films are fully owned by Disney and will be solely distributed and marketed by the Mouse House, Variety learned.

Because of the ownership, Disney wants Marvel to get the spotlight, since Marvel = Disney.

Still, pay TV rights for “The Avengers” belong to Paramount’s Epix, not Starz, through which Disney releases its pics.

UPDATE: Stan Lee's life story now owned by Fox.

:insane:

CONFIRMED:

20th Century Fox

Marvel Studios

Sony Pictures

Universal Pictures

UNCONFIRMED/UNCLEAR

UPDATE: Mephisto confirmed as being part of the Ghost Rider universe (added as News Article #2).

Mephisto Confirmed for the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

CONFIRMED:

20th Century Fox

Marvel Studios

Sony Pictures

Universal Pictures

UNCONFIRMED/UNCLEAR

Turns out Marvel Studios and Fox Studios had to work out a trade for Ego to show up in Guardians 2. He was associated with the Fantastic Four franchise prior to this.

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 Director Had No Backup Plan If Fox Wouldn't Trade Ego

fox-marvel-deadpool-guardians-galaxy-2-negasonic-ego-living-plan-211213.jpg

In February, shortly after Deadpool was released, it was revealed that Fox and Marvel made a swap that allowed the former to alter Negasonic Teenage Warhead's power set, going from a telepath/precog to a literal warhead. This past weekend, during a special Deadpool Q&A screening in L.A., co-screenwriter Paul Wernick finally revealed what Marvel got in exchange: Ego the Living Planet.

As you should know by now, Ego will appear in the Guardians of the Galaxy sequel, is being played by Kurt Russell, and has been revealed to be Peter Quill's biological father. However, what you may not know is that filmmaker James Gunn desperately needed that swap to happen.

"Yes, this is true! When I first pitched Ego as Quill's father, I THOUGHT we owned the character," Gunn shared on his official Facebook page. "After I had worked out a very elaborate story with Ego the Living Planet as a very important part of the Marvel cosmic universe, I learned that we actually didn't own the character. I had no back up plan, and it would be nearly impossible to just drop another character in. Thank God Fox came to us and wanted to make a trade..."

On 9/20/2016 at 2:12 PM, Bosco685 said:

UPDATE: The Universal rights question, and how far those rights go with The Incredible Hulk and Sub-Mariner/Namor film rights (TV rights safe?).

Marvel Studios

Universal Pictures

Edited by Bosco685

UPDATE: Uatu the Watcher movie rights may be confirmed soon, depending on how a certain appearance is handled in Guardians Vol. II (added as News Article #1 under Uata the Watcher).

CONFIRMED:

20th Century Fox

Marvel Studios

Sony Pictures

Universal Pictures

UNCONFIRMED/UNCLEAR

UPDATE: Uatu the Watcher movie rights confirmed

Spoiler

Guardians Vol. II

(added as News Article #1 under Uata the Watcher).

CONFIRMED:

20th Century Fox

Marvel Studios

Sony Pictures

Universal Pictures

UNCONFIRMED/UNCLEAR

After over a year of of hints of something going on with Captain Britain, talks are boiling back up.

I assumed because of Excalibur that this is associated with the X-Universe. If the poster artist is right, then either this was a tradeoff with Marvel for that X-Men TV show or there was something else in the Fox contract.

Is There A CAPTAIN BRITAIN TV Show?

1iZh2tv.jpg

On 3/23/2016 at 4:13 PM, Bosco685 said:

HoRQ38A.jpg

On 3/25/2016 at 6:07 AM, Bosco685 said:

That concept art that folks were thinking is fake - it's actually a pitch for a show.

That CAPTAIN BRITAIN TV Show Is Actually A Producer's Pitch To Marvel

It's not clear if Marvel is truly aware of this, and if it could lead to a situation where Fox and Marvel need to work out TV rights.

Here Is What Christian Bale Could Look Like As Captain Britain

1OUbd7N.jpg

There’s been a lot of talk about Brian Braddock — a.k.a.

Captain Britain — joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe as of recent. Kevin Feige, the mastermind behind the cinematic universe, even went on record saying the studio has “discussed it.”

Thanks to fan art maestro BossLogic, we have a look at an actor who’s no stranger to the genre: Christian Bale. The British actor of Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight fame most recently appeared alongside Oscar Isaac (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) in Terry George’s The Promise.

I would think this is a Fox-Marvel property due to the Excalibur ties to The X-Men.

Edited by Bosco685

:news:UPDATE: Turns out the Skrulls and Watchers film rights are jointly owned by Marvel and Fox. :news:

James Gunn Explains Marvel/Fox Movie Rights: How Skrulls (and Watchers) Can Be In The MCU

vpSjMCi.jpg

wwiMoZQ.jpg

CONFIRMED:

20th Century Fox

Marvel Studios

Sony Pictures

Universal Pictures

CO-OWNED

UNCONFIRMED/UNCLEAR

3 minutes ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

The entire thing is a mess, very confusing 

Definitely on characters which have not even made live appearances in movies and TV shows, as it gets confirmed once they finally do appear. Or you find out tradeoffs have taken place, like what happened with Negasonic Teenage Warhead so James Gunn could cleanly use Ego the Living Planet in Guardians 2.

It will be interesting when Taskmaster gets confirmed. Tim Miller said Fox couldn't use him. But not sure if that is because of 100% rights ownership, or needing approval.