• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guess which comic is a Rare and desirable 1956 DC key #1 ?

115 posts in this topic

Ok I am exaggerating a bit but it could be a Gerber 8, It is an awesome silver age key DC #1 book of a long running and beloved series that is so tough that Heritage has only sold 3 or 4 in their completed listings, a CGC 7.5 sold for $3,888 in 2012 and is offered at $5000 minimum now, regardless of what may be said there IS huge demand for this book but it is just not available, so people just give up,.. there is one for sale on e-bay and has been for years but it is $1800.00 or so and being ungraded nobody would dare touch that as it could be a possible PLOD

If you know the answer don't give it away just yet , but tell what you think about the book, do you have one or know anyone who does ???

Edited by 1950's war comics

I'm not seeing it ???

This is what dc's page shows as 1956 titles, I'd be hard pressed to call any of them key. Showcase was my first guess even before looking this up but there are more than 3 or 4 in heritage's past auctions. GI combat I think the date is misleading as DC took over from Quality

Titles

The following comic titles debuted with a 1956 cover date:

G.I. Combat Vol 1

House of Secrets Vol 1

Hundred Comic Monthly Vol 1

Jackie Gleason and the Honeymooners Vol 1

Mysteries of Unexplored Worlds Vol 1

Nature Boy Vol 1

Robin Hood Tales Vol 1

Showcase Vol 1

Sugar and Spike Vol 1

Tales of the Unexpected Vol 1

Three Mouseketeers Vol 1

Yanks in Battle Vol 1

ah. You are referring to sugar and spike.

Yeah I dunno man. That makes OAAW 83 look totally mainsteam :insane:

Great book but not super key IMO?

http://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/sugar-and-spike-1-dc-1956-cgc-vf-75-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7063-93075.s

+1

Another book whose value is mainly attached to scarcity. Demand is not as high as you think.

ssshhhhhhhh ...!! , I know its not a super key but...

like mentioned , it is so hard to get that its people just give up on it

$3888.00 for a CGC 7.5 isn't chump change , and it is NEVER available and when it is it is snatched up immediately (not counting that non graded possible PLOD on e-bay)

close to a grand for a CGC 3.5 is way on par of a Daredevil #1 and many others in and around the silver age top 20,

ah. You are referring to sugar and spike.

Yeah I dunno man. That makes OAAW 83 look totally mainsteam :insane:

Great book but not super key IMO?

http://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/sugar-and-spike-1-dc-1956-cgc-vf-75-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7063-93075.s

+1

Another book whose value is mainly attached to scarcity. Demand is not as high as you think.

Brother you have NO idea...

I only wish you were correct with the low demand statement,

Its hard to even define what era it really belongs in though 2c

It predates Showcase 4, which is usually the earliest date thrown around for the beginning of the SA. So is it even an SA book? IMO, probably not.

It's a cool book and definitely hard to find, but if there was THAT much demand, the single highest graded copy would've sold for far more than $3,800. The handful of people who really care about spending $5k on that book would've stepped up and paid more for that 7.5, rather than waiting for another/nicer copy to turn up. Comparing it to anywhere near a top 20 Silver Age book is ridiculous.

I was being charitable lol

How about this: "its not an SA book."

Better? :insane:

Well nobody is going to find it on e-bay in the golden age 1938-1955 listings

unless it is listed in error

you might better try finding one in the "silver age" listings on e-bay .........

It's a cool book and definitely hard to find, but if there was THAT much demand, the single highest graded copy would've sold for far more than $3,800. The handful of people who really care about spending $5k on that book would've stepped up and paid more for that 7.5, rather than waiting for another/nicer copy to turn up. Comparing it to anywhere near a top 20 Silver Age book is ridiculous.

there is huge demand for the book in lower grades, very few humor collectors care about registry sets or a high CGC grade and very few humor collectors wish to spend 4 grand .... a BIN copy at a decent price would sell within minutes on e-bay , countless humor collectors have it on their e-bay notify aps and a decent low grade copy priced accordingly would sell immediately upon listing

it is so hard to get and there is so much demand that most potential collectors just give up and move on to other series upon realization that it is not attainable unless you wait years or get lucky.

Right...next are you going to go out & tell us to buy Fox & Crow 1?

fox and who?????????????????? zero demand.. DREK !!!

Sugar and Spike ,..brother you have no idea what time it is on that one.....no idea at all........

I can't tell if you are being serious or this is some kind of New Year's joke?

I personally would LOVE to own a nice copy of S&S #1. . .or for that matter 2-20, any one of them. They are all desirable. I have seen a COUPLE of those over the years, but it's just not where I had to put my collecting $. Wish I had taken the plunge, but just couldn't swing it. I will continue looking for them until I find a "representative" copy at the right price. Almost certainly won't be a #1 as that's outta my price range.

Are other serious collectors looking for a #1 any more than #7 or #13? Not everybody collects like I collect, but there are quite a few people that would be happy to settle for a nice copy of ANY of those first 10 or 20 issues and forego the whole "gotta have the first appearance" thing just so that they can have a cool copy. I don't know how many investors think of a #1 as somewhere to sink some $$. It definitely is WAYYYY rare in grade and tough in almost any grade. As with the OAAW #83, I suspect that the lack of high grade sales leads to a bit of depressed sales across the continuum of grades. In this case, I think this would be even more rare than an OAAW 83.

hmhmhmhm