• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guess which comic is a Rare and desirable 1956 DC key #1 ?

115 posts in this topic

If it's a SA book, then SC 4 doesn't start the SA.
Tec #225?

Code approved books like S&S #1 and Tec #225 were retconned into the Silver Age after it had already been established the SC #4 had started it.

I can't recall reading any Fox and Crow, though I recall liking Stanley and his Monster as a kid, so I'm sure I read the F&C stories in some of those issues.

So was Stanley and his Monster any good, or was it just that as a 9 year old the idea of a pet monster was incredibly appealing?

I read a few of those when I was a kid and liked them. I'll have to get them out and see if they've held up.

I hated the Stanley and His Monster stories when they first appeared because they were displacing my beloved Fox and the Crow from their own magazine! DC was evidently in the process of frantically finding a replacement for the Fox and the Crow because the agreement whereby DC was licensing Columbia Picture's cartoon characters for comics was coming to an end in 1968 and wasn't going to be renewed.

:(

Edited by Hepcat

ssshhhhhhhh ...!! , I know its not a super key but...

like mentioned , it is so hard to get that its people just give up on it

$3888.00 for a CGC 7.5 isn't chump change , and it is NEVER available and when it is it is snatched up immediately (not counting that non graded possible PLOD on e-bay)

close to a grand for a CGC 3.5 is way on par of a Daredevil #1 and many others in and around the silver age top 20,

There's something in statistics called an outlier. Outliers are not completely ignored, but they're looked at with circumspection. In other words, if you have many data points that show copies selling at that level, you have a trend. If you have a bunch of copies selling for 3 figures and one copy selling for 4 figures, the 4-figure data point is an outlier. You certainly can't assume anything about the value of a book based on a single transaction other than this: there was one person in the world willing to pay that amount on that date and a second person willing to pay almost as much. I personally think it's unlikely that the buyer will ever break even on that book.

On E-bay If you type in: " sugar and spice " 8 listings come up in error doh!

As a war comic collector you would think S & S wouldn't be all that interesting to me but they have to be the coolest funny books next to Archie

doh!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sugar-and-Spike-1-1956-CGC-8-0-Highest-Graded-/161596799538?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item259feb7a32

a CGC 8.0 has just been listed on ebay for $8000.00 , it probably won't sell for anywhere near that price but regardless of what some may think ,.. Sugar and Spike #1 is rare AND desirable, is a major silver age key, and is near impossible to find..............I wish I had a decent vg

The owner of the 7.5 won it on HA in July 2012 for $3,883.75 and has turned down an offer of a little over $5K. Without seeing the grading notes, I actually think the 7.5 might be a better copy (with slightly better PQ) than this 8.0.

Be interesting to see if the seller of the 8.0 will be able to get his price. It seems he could get $5K and perhaps $6K. hm