• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men TV show from Fox
2 2

228 posts in this topic

Turns out Chris Claremont made an appearance on The Gifted as a conspiracy theorist.

the-gifted-chris-claremont-1159989.jpeg

Jace watches an internet video of a conspiracy theorist type explaining why the Morlocks are real and a threat. Some X-Men fans may recognize that conspiracy theorist as longtime X-Men writer Chris Claremont.

The Gifted gave a nod to Claremont before. The show used his name on a moving truck used by the Mutant Underground on a mission in the season one episode “got your siX.”

Next week, The Gifted will air its second season finale, titled “oMens.” The episode will see Thunderbird, still grieving Blink’s death, don his “warrior look,” a nod to Thunderbird’s costume from the comics.

7 minutes ago, GeneticNinja said:

I wouldn't be surprised if this gets cancelled. I like the hero characters though. And a few of the bad guys. If they do cancel it, I'll probably get the first season on Blu-ray. I thought it was better than the second season.

Why would it get cancelled? Because of the Disney-Fox merger? The show is produced by both Disney and Fox currently.

7 minutes ago, GeneticNinja said:

I read that the ratings are fairly poor.

Although the show has had an average viewership of 1.95 million (started higher at 2.5 million), the season finale hinted at Days of Future Past with that final appearance. So Disney could push for giving Season 3 a chance to kick in.

We shall see.

Who at Disney was producing the show?

Wouldn't this series switch to Disney's upcoming streaming service if it was made at all?  The main thing I'm wondering is which executive will be responsible for the television properties once the Disney streaming service is live.  Will it still be Perlmutter and the Marvel Creative Committee, or will it be someone else?

19 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Who at Disney was producing the show?

Wouldn't this series switch to Disney's upcoming streaming service if it was made at all?  The main thing I'm wondering is which executive will be responsible for the television properties once the Disney streaming service is live.  Will it still be Perlmutter and the Marvel Creative Committee, or will it be someone else?

Executive Producers: Jeph Loeb, Joe Quesada, Lauren Shuler Donner, Matt Nix, Simon Kinberg.

In a recent interview, Matt Nix is saying Season 3 has a strong possibility of migrating to the new streaming service (assuming he means Disney).

What To Expect From The Gifted Season 3

During the Television Critics Association, showrunner Matt Nix said that if the X-Men show was renewed, he believed that The Gifted season 3 wouldn't air on Fox or broadcast television but instead could be seen through a streaming service. Nix noted that the series' fanbase is loyal but small, which he feels makes it more suited for streaming (both seasons of The Gifted can currently be streamed on Hulu).

The purchase of Fox by Disney could also complicate The Gifted's time as a broadcast network show, but Nix also sees an opportunity for The Gifted to be brought back "in a creative way", possibly on Disney Plus. There are no further details on The Gifted season 3 but, with fewer restrictions on content on a streaming service like Hulu, the series could go even further in its grim but realistic depiction of a world where mutants fight back from being brutally oppressed by society.

10 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Executive Producers: Jeph Loeb, Joe Quesada, Lauren Shuler Donner, Matt Nix, Simon Kinberg.

I pay no attention to "executive" producers since they almost never play an active part in production.  I see the list of producers on IMDB but don't recognize a single name, so I suppose even if I knew one or more of them were Disney employees it wouldn't mean much without knowing their background.

9 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I pay no attention to "executive" producers since they almost never play an active part in production.  I see the list of producers on IMDB but don't recognize a single name, so I suppose even if I knew one or more of them were Disney employees it wouldn't mean much without knowing their background.

I hear you on the EP spots as you will see Stan Lee and others mentioned as well. But going back to the original joint announcement at the early parts of this thread.

On 7/13/2016 at 11:31 AM, Bosco685 said:

Since this show has been rumored for a long while, nice to see there is something coming together.

Fox Orders Pilot of Marvel X-Men Based TV Series

Additional details based on this announcement.

FOX Gives Pilot Order for New X-Men TV Series

Marvel TV and 20th Century Fox will team up for a new X-Men based pilot on FOX. The series, untitled and without any specific characters mentioned in the announcement, will be an "action-adventure" with two human parents whose child develops mutant powers. "Forced to go on the run from a hostile government, the family joins up with an underground network of mutants and must fight to survive," the press release reads.

The series is a joint production between the two companies, with Fox's Bryan Singer, Lauren Shuler Donner, Simon Kinberg, and Matt Nix joining Marvel's Jeph Loeb and Jim Chory as the production staff. Nix (Burn Notice, APB) will lead creative production.

"Developing a Marvel property has been a top priority for the network--and we are so pleased with how Matt Nix has led us into this thrilling universe,” said David Madden, president, Entertainment, Fox Broadcasting Company in the release. “There’s comic book adventure, emotional and complicated relationships, and a rich, existing mythology from which to draw. With the brilliant production crew behind this project, it has all the makings of a big, fun and exciting new series."

Marvel's head of television, Jeph Loeb, who will be producing the series, said, "Marvel Television is thrilled to be co-producing with 20th Century Fox Television on our first project. Matt's a huge fan of X-Men and his take on the X-Men universe, with its rich characters and high-stakes adventure, is exactly the show we want on FOX. It's a great team of creative producers who will be making something entirely unique."

It was previously announced that FOX and Marvel were in negotiations to develop a Hellfire TV series, based on the infamous villain group from the X-Men canon, but Variety reports that the Hellfire series is no longer moving forward.

Marvel TV and Fox are jointly guiding this show.

35 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

What To Expect From The Gifted Season 3

During the Television Critics Association, showrunner Matt Nix said that if the X-Men show was renewed, he believed that The Gifted season 3 wouldn't air on Fox or broadcast television but instead could be seen through a streaming service. Nix noted that the series' fanbase is loyal but small, which he feels makes it more suited for streaming (both seasons of The Gifted can currently be streamed on Hulu).

The purchase of Fox by Disney could also complicate The Gifted's time as a broadcast network show, but Nix also sees an opportunity for The Gifted to be brought back "in a creative way", possibly on Disney Plus. There are no further details on The Gifted season 3 but, with fewer restrictions on content on a streaming service like Hulu, the series could go even further in its grim but realistic depiction of a world where mutants fight back from being brutally oppressed by society.

If they bring it back they really need more of a tie to the MCU, more costumes, and more display of powers.  Polaris should be incredibly powerful, but all they show her doing is super-cheap effects that make things fly, fall, or explode.  The Apocalypse movie had a lot of problems, but it did feature the best Magneto effects we've ever seen and was the first glimpse in any of the films of how powerful he could be.

Edited by fantastic_four

8 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

The series is a joint production between the two companies, with Fox's Bryan Singer, Lauren Shuler Donner, Simon Kinberg, and Matt Nix joining Marvel's Jeph Loeb and Jim Chory as the production staff. Nix (Burn Notice, APB) will lead creative production.

Not a single one of those people ended up with a producer credit, so it's difficult to know how much they actually influenced the show.

2 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

If they bring it back they really need more of a tie to the MCU, more costumes, and more display of powers.  Polaris should be incredibly powerful, but all they show her doing is super-cheap effects that make things fly, fall, or explode.  The Apocalypse movie had a lot of problems, but it did feature the best Magneto effects we've ever seen and was the first glimpse in any of the films of how powerful he could be.

I was thinking the same thing with Polaris. With that metal headpiece she created from Magneto I was waiting for them to have her use it as a weapon against Reeva. It would have been so fitting to use her powers this way. Instead, she was just as afraid as everyone else.

They could have gone the route of Magneto with the metal objects. Simple props used in the deadliest of ways.

4 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Not a single one of those people ended up with a producer credit, so it's difficult to know how much they actually influenced the show.

Marvel ‘X-Men’ Series from Matt Nix, Bryan Singer Lands Put Pilot Commitment at Fox (EXCLUSIVE)

20th Century Fox Television and Marvel Television will co-produce the series with 20th handling physical production. Nix will serve as exec producer with Bryan Singer, Lauren Shuler Donner, Simon Kinberg, plus Marvel’s Jeph Loeb and Jim Chory.

“Developing a Marvel property has been a top priority for the network — and we are so pleased with how Matt Nix has led us into this thrilling universe,” said David Madden, president, entertainment, Fox Broadcasting Company. “There’s comic book adventure, emotional and complicated relationships and a rich, existing mythology from which to draw. With the brilliant production crew behind this project, it has all the makings of a big, fun and exciting new series.”

Loeb, Marvel’s head of television, added: “Marvel Television is thrilled to be co-producing with 20th Century Fox Television on our first project. Matt’s a huge fan of ‘X-Men’ and his take on ‘X-Men,’ with its rich characters and high-stakes adventure, is exactly the show we want on Fox. It’s a great team of creative producers who will be making something entirely unique.”

Loeb is more involved than "I just get my name in the credits'.

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Loeb is more involved than "I just get my name in the credits'.

But presumably less so that Feige is in MCU films who almost always gets full producer credits in every film.

8 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

But presumably less so that Feige is in MCU films who almost always gets full producer credits in every film.

Oh, that's what you were shooting for? Is this like the films?

Loeb and Quesada are credited throughout. But I think the overall driving force is Matt Nix, backed by both Fox and Marvel.

Edited by Bosco685

59 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Oh, that's what you were shooting for? Is this like the films?

Loeb and Quesada are credited throughout. But I think the overall driving force is Matt Nix, backed by both Fox and Marvel.

The distinction between producer and executive producer.  Nix is an executive, so at best he painted broad strokes for the series.

3 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I was thinking the same thing with Polaris. With that metal headpiece she created from Magneto I was waiting for them to have her use it as a weapon against Reeva. It would have been so fitting to use her powers this way. Instead, she was just as afraid as everyone else.

They could have gone the route of Magneto with the metal objects. Simple props used in the deadliest of ways.

I agree.

Maybe it's just me, but I also felt there was too much melodrama (again) this season. I don't know, I've just never felt a connection with the characters, even after 2 seasons, to really care about their intrapersonal relationships.

"The brother comes back to the family!" . . . great.    "Blink dies and Thunderbird is traumatized!" . . .ok.

Can't exactly say I was saddened to see "Angsty Dad" take one for the team and pop Reeva on his way out, either. Speaking of Reeva, I've always found her power strange and dumb. Mutant Opera singer?

I guess being a life long X-fan, I hoped for something greater.

I wasn't too crazy about the CGI in that last episode. Looked pretty lousy when the buildings exploded. I like the premise of the show but some of the acting (Strucker twins in particular9_9) just felt off at times. I wouldn't mind a season 3 but would prefer less episodes with better quality. I'm interested in finding out what happened with Blink.