• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men TV show from Fox
2 2

228 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Antpark said:

I agree.

Maybe it's just me, but I also felt there was too much melodrama (again) this season. I don't know, I've just never felt a connection with the characters, even after 2 seasons, to really care about their intrapersonal relationships.

"The brother comes back to the family!" . . . great.    "Blink dies and Thunderbird is traumatized!" . . .ok.

Can't exactly say I was saddened to see "Angsty Dad" take one for the team and pop Reeva on his way out, either. Speaking of Reeva, I've always found her power strange and dumb. Mutant Opera singer?

I guess being a life long X-fan, I hoped for something greater.

I didn't like Reeva's powers either. I thought they were kind of silly with the whole zooming effect.

9 hours ago, chezmtghut said:

I wasn't too crazy about the CGI in that last episode. Looked pretty lousy when the buildings exploded. I like the premise of the show but some of the acting (Strucker twins in particular9_9) just felt off at times. I wouldn't mind a season 3 but would prefer less episodes with better quality. I'm interested in finding out what happened with Blink.

The building explosion was pretty weak. With the Strucker twins, I found it more of a problem that Lauren seemingly finds the time to do her nails all the time.

6 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:
16 hours ago, Antpark said:

Speaking of Reeva, I've always found her power strange and dumb. Mutant Opera singer?

I didn't like Reeva's powers either. I thought they were kind of silly with the whole zooming effect.

She's like Banshee but more powerful, or if you prefer she's like Black Bolt but far less powerful.  Her voice can hit a pitch that affects the brain and causes people to get dizzy and hallucinate.  First appearance was X-Men Annual #3 in 1994 where she was introduced as the new Black Queen of the Hellfire Club.  Dunno if it's a realistic concept, but if it is I hope we can eventually weaponize it and use it to replace tasers.  The military has been developing multiple types of similar non-lethal weapons for decades that induce sickness and vomiting, but all of them require far more power than you can currently carry around in a portable weapon so they're not viable replacements for guns yet.

While I'm skeptical of depicting superheroes in weekly television shows because you won't have the budget to do justice to their powers, if you're going to do it, it's better to choose a character like Reeva than Polaris.  It's easy to depict Reeva's powers, but all you can do with Polaris is imagine what she could do if the budget weren't so damn low.

Edited by fantastic_four

2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

She's like Banshee but more powerful, or if you prefer she's like Black Bolt but far less powerful.  Her voice can hit a pitch that affects the brain and causes people to get dizzy and hallucinate.  First appearance was X-Men Annual #3 in 1994 where she was introduced as the new Black Queen of the Hellfire Club.  Dunno if it's a realistic concept, but if it is I hope we can eventually weaponize it and use it to replace tasers.  The military has been developing multiple types of similar non-lethal weapons for decades that induce sickness and vomiting, but all of them require far more power than you can currently carry around in a portable weapon so they're not viable replacements for guns yet.

While I'm skeptical of depicting superheroes in weekly television shows because you won't have the budget to do justice to their powers, if you're going to do it, it's better to choose a character like Reeva than Polaris.  It's easy to depict Reeva's powers, but all you can do with Polaris is imagine what she could do if the budget weren't so damn low.

I've seen some of the new weapons TV shows where they covered these sound-based weapons for passanger ships and naval war ships attacked by speedboats in the Persian Gulf. They really work. It disorients attackers, 

On 3/1/2019 at 4:44 AM, fantastic_four said:

It was more the depiction of Reeva's powers with the zooming that I thought was silly. I was ok with Polaris' powers maybe with the exception of her using them to open an air vent to get her secret cell phone.

On 3/1/2019 at 7:03 AM, Bosco685 said:

I've seen some of the new weapons TV shows where they covered these sound-based weapons for passanger ships and naval war ships attacked by speedboats in the Persian Gulf. They really work. It disorients attackers, 

I think there was a sound attack in Cuba recently. Or they are still looking into it.

Overall, I find The Gifted better than a bunch of the X-Men movies. X2 is still my favorite. I thought the last X-Men movie was pretty bad.

Unfortunately the show is cancelled. But we'll probably get something a lot better in the future anyway. That one guy who had the bright light powers keeps getting his shows cancelled. He had a pretty good science fiction cyberpunk spy type show that was also cancelled.

It sounds like it could find a new home though.

‘The Gifted’ Canceled By Fox After 2 Seasons; Marvel Drama Could Potentially Find New Home At Disney

Fox has opted not to renew its sophomore drama series The Gifted for a third season. The family adventure series, set in Marvel’s X-Men universe, comes from 20th Century Fox TV, which now is part of Disney.

I hear that there have been no real conversations but there is a chance for The Gifted to find a new home within the Disney family. The show is produced by Marvel Television, which currently has series on Disney-owned Freeform and Disney-controlled Hulu. (Disney+’s Marvel series come from the company’s movie division).

The Gifted was well received by critics, with its second season scoring even higher on Rotten Tomatoes (85% vs. 74% for Season 1.) But the drama was a soft performer in linear ratings for Fox in its second season, which wrapped in February. The Gifted‘s second season averaged a 1.1 adults 18-49 rating in Live+7, about half of its Season 1 average (2.0), and 3.3 million viewers.

Because Fox no longer has ownership in the series, linear ratings play a bigger role in the broadcast network’s renewal decisions. (Like most genre series, The Gifted does well in online viewing).

Yea, Fox not renewing it means nothing for whether or not it moves to Disney.  I just assume NOTHING will move to Disney in its current form and that the television shows will try to fit in with whatever Feige does with the MCU.  Deciding what to do with Gifted is almost certainly on hold until they figure the rest out.

I rather doubt any Marvel television shows get decided upon until they see how the planned MCU film character television shows do.  If any do it'd likely be Daredevil or Punisher first.