How do you pronounce "Thanos"?

112 posts in this topic

9,071 posts

How do you pronounce "Thanos"? (shrug)

I know how I've always read it, but I imagine with Guardians of the Galaxy (which I haven't seen yet), we probably have a definitive answer to a question probably very few people even care about.

Overhearing people at cons and in shops, I heard the name used a LOT. Especially around the time Avengers was released. Examples I've heard:

THAN-oss (rhymes with boss)

THAN-ose (rhymes with dose)

THAY-noss

THAY-nose

THAN-iss

Which is correct? Which did you say when you first read the name? :popcorn:

23,952 posts

THAN-oss

1,869 posts

I always call him "That guy who lost to squirrel girl?"

18,720 posts

I know how I've always read it, but I imagine with Guardians of the Galaxy (which I haven't seen yet), we probably have a definitive answer to a question probably very few people even care about.

Overhearing people at cons and in shops, I heard the name used a LOT. Especially around the time Avengers was released. Examples I've heard:

THAY-noss

THAY-nose

THAN-iss

This is how it's pronounced in the movies, and I saw in a video that this is how

pronounces it as well. Very confusing - spent 20 years mispronouncing it myself.

4,729 posts

Josh

JK. I'm in the -"ose" camp.

4,073 posts
Josh

JK. I'm in the -"ose" camp.

+1

11,233 posts

THAY-noss

THAY-nose

THAN-iss

This is how it's pronounced in the movies, and I saw in a video that this is how

pronounces it as well. Very confusing - spent 20 years mispronouncing it myself.

I spent over 30 years doing the same thing. The first time I heard it pronounced, I told my bro who loves all things Starlin. He says " no way ! I think I would know how to pronounce something I've read the majority of my life ! " , and I laughed until I couldn't breathe. lol

6,213 posts

THAY-noss

THAY-nose

THAN-iss

I'm in the THAN-oss (rhymes with boss) camp.

As its a derivative of the Greek word for death - thanatos - I would have thought its pronounced the same way.

477 posts

Always pronounced it THAY-nose (like dose)

Per the movie it's THAN-ose (like dose)

Not sure I will change how I say it...

2,867 posts

I sense a Mephisto discussion about to creep up now.

23,952 posts

I'm in the THAN-oss (rhymes with boss) camp.

As its a derivative of the Greek word for death - thanatos - I would have thought its pronounced the same way.

(thumbs u

5,528 posts

Well, it feels good to have gotten this one right. As I've always called him Than-ose, the way the movie pronounced it.

Makes up for the fact that I spent much of my early childhood calling Namor the "Sub MARINE-er"

A sad, but true, tale. Not...you know, a fish story. lol

52,427 posts

I've always pronounced it thay-nose (rhymes with dose) and continue to do so, regardless. I think it sounds infinitely cooler with a long 'a' sound.

18,720 posts

THAY-noss

THAY-nose

THAN-iss

I spent over 30 years doing the same thing. The first time I heard it pronounced, I told my bro who loves all things Starlin. He says " no way ! I think I would know how to pronounce something I've read the majority of my life ! " , and I laughed until I couldn't breathe. lol

Yeah, once I heard how Starlin said it, I was like: :facepalm: and he was one of my favorite characters. But, before the internet, YouTube and not going to conventions - there was no way to know for sure. I think I started this conversation awhile back in the BA section, too - where someone linked me to a Starlin video for the final say.