• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Saga #1 RRP Appreciation Thread

536 posts in this topic

On 10/8/2017 at 1:19 PM, Whitelanterncorps said:

Hi all;

The common belief is that there were 500 copies of this printed.  Is there any evidence to actually support this?  Not sure if I’ve ever seen anything definitive on this.  

No, has there ever been evidence of any print run?

15 minutes ago, Whitelanterncorps said:

Fair enough, but as this particular book is a bit of a special case (commissioned by Diamond in a small quantity for a very particular purpose), I thought there may have been more information about it.

Who knows how many there are.  What we do know is that there was no pre-planned print number because copies of this book were sent out to every individual who attended the Diamond summit that year, well after the fact.  There are also 235 graded copies with CGC already, and raw copies continue to regularly appear for sale, so that 500 number would appear to be highly suspect.  I would put it more like in the 1000-1500 range.  

-J.

Just now, I like pie said:

We'll never know but 500-700 sounds right. Only 235 graded. Considering the value, if there was more than that, you would see more graded copies.

235 is actually a whole lot for a book that is only 5 years old.  Just compare it to other books that sell for that or more from the same general era- Siege 3 (Campbell), Wolverine 1 (Deadpool), ASM 667 and 678 variants.  Books that are generally thought to be in the 200-500 print range.  

All with far less copies on the census and rarely raw copies for sale.  

1000-1500 is the most likely range.  

-J.

And...

https://store.dreamlandcomics.com/saga-1-dcd-2012-retailer-summit-variant-comic-p109879.aspx

and...

https://comicbookinvest.com/2015/03/08/must-have-saga-comics/

and...

https://www.comicsvalue.com/SAGA-1-Diamond-Retailer-Summit-variant/231138011446.html

I get it. There's nothing "official" that I can find from Diamond, Image or BKV/Fiona Staples stating that the print run is 500. But until I find something suggesting that it's more than 500, I'm going with 500.

Just my 2c and nothing more. Others can feel free to claim that in their opinion there are 5,000 copies of it. (shrug)

These links are all just parroting the same basically made up number.  I just find it highly unlikely that basically half of this book's print number has been slabbed. Highly unlikely.  Especially as compared to other, more expensive comics from the same general time frame, which have 75-200 less slabs.  That kind of data is obviously just one slice of the pie, but it's more concrete and tangible than a bunch of sites repeating the same myth.  

-J.

I contacted Diamond. :popcorn:

The Sponsor Info for their 2018 Summit says:

All sponsorships are presented as a package of benefits to give your company added exposure to the estimated 500+ retailer attendees, key decisions makers and pop-culture trend setters.

I would imagine they would advertise on the higher side since they're trying to attract sponsors. I can't imagine the number is far off from 500 if it IS more than 500.

I don't see the relevance of that. If anything the "500+" should be a bright red flag on the notion that "only" 500 of these were printed.  And they're not just given to retailers, but sponsors, other taste makers (whatever that means), and don't forget about all the courtesy copies.  

Like I said.  Very far fetched.  The 235 slabs already on the census and the continuing semi regular availability of raw copies hurts you even more.  Also the fact that there were at least 3 people with a carpet full of them doesn't help either.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

235 is actually a whole lot for a book that is only 5 years old.  Just compare it to other books that sell for that or more from the same general era- Siege 3 (Campbell), Wolverine 1 (Deadpool), ASM 667 and 678 variants.  Books that are generally thought to be in the 200-500 print range.  

All with far less copies on the census and rarely raw copies for sale.  

1000-1500 is the most likely range.  

-J.

Nope. 235 is a tiny number for a potential 2k book. Sometimes I think you post just for the sake of arguing.

Just now, I like pie said:

Nope. 235 is a tiny number for a potential 2k book. Sometimes I think you post just for the sake of arguing.

I posted with other examples that you did not address or explain the vast difference in census numbers for other books that sell for more than this one (since that seems to be your only line of rationalisation).

-J.

1 minute ago, I like pie said:

You can have your opinion. Doesn't matter to me.

And neither do either facts or overwhelming circumstantial evidence, apparently.  (thumbsu

And just for kicks, here are other books from the same era that have sold for or sell for more than this with significantly less copies on the census:

X 23 1 (Dell'otto, 2010)

Walking Dead 100-

Lucille 

Red Foil

ASM 688 (Campbell)

UXM 510 partial sketch 

Etc....

-J

29 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

And neither do either facts or overwhelming circumstantial evidence, apparently.  (thumbsu

And just for kicks, here are other books from the same era that have sold for or sell for more than this with significantly less copies on the census:

X 23 1 (Dell'otto, 2010)

Walking Dead 100-

Lucille 

Red Foil

ASM 688 (Campbell)

UXM 510 partial sketch 

Etc....

-J

Red Foil has 150 on the census for a book with a print run of 250.  If this book can have a higher than 50% print run to graded copy why can’t the Saga RRP that only has 500 copies printed?

5 minutes ago, cbalroman said:

Red Foil has 150 on the census for a book with a print run of 250.  If this book can have a higher than 50% print run to graded copy why can’t the Saga RRP that only has 500 copies printed?

Indeed.  

How about some kind of official source verifying that number?

(Still doesn't explain all the other books either.  Also interesting how both books that would be outliers if those print numbers were remotely real are Image books.)

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

6 minutes ago, cbalroman said:

https://www.skybound.com/comics/skybound-black-friday-weekend-sale/

how about straight from the company that puts the book out.....

Great.  Now show me the one for this Saga 1 reprint.  Because the only semi official thing that has been reported so far was for this year's event with the announcement of "500+" already baked in.

-J.