• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Saga #1 RRP Appreciation Thread

536 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, I like pie said:

$2500 for the last blue 9.8. Is that a record?

I believe so. Previous recorded  sale for a blue label 9.8 was $2250. Currently the lowest priced copy on eBay is 4k for a 9.8 . Crazy that this one is still climbing with no movie or TV news or hype.

I know BKV has gone on record saying there won't be a TV or movie show due to the costs. However, if it ever happens. Watch out.

Edited by jreezy

On 3/24/2018 at 1:54 PM, jreezy said:

I believe so. Previous recorded  sale for a blue label 9.8 was $2250. Currently the lowest priced copy on eBay is 4k for a 9.8 . Crazy that this one is still climbing with no movie or TV news or hype.

I know BKV has gone on record saying there won't be a TV or movie show due to the costs. However, if it ever happens. Watch out.

There was a very recent interview from BKV indicating they (he and Fiona) are both open to a show/movie/stage production of Saga, but they are basically just waiting for a proposal that impresses them and would do the book justice. 

1 hour ago, sirwesker said:

There was a very recent interview from BKV indicating they (he and Fiona) are both open to a show/movie/stage production of Saga, but they are basically just waiting for a proposal that impresses them and would do the book justice. 

You've talked about Saga as being almost unadaptable, where you and Fiona Staples are designing this story to be a challenge to bring to life outside of comics. Has your experience with Runaways, and the experience you're having with Michael on Y: The Last Man, changed your opinion at all on Saga and its ability to be adapted? Are TV and film even ready for a story of Saga's size and scale?

(Laughs.) You know, I still probably think not yet. But I wouldn't have imagined what was possible with Runaways now being possible 15 years ago … so, maybe in 15 years we will have caught up. I still think for now, I flatter myself to think Fiona and I are doing something that celebrates what only comics can do, which is the scope beyond a Hollywood blockbuster in terms of the visuals, but also a challenging grown-up story like you would get in a long-form TV drama. I think it's still very difficult, with what we're trying to say and do, for that to be done in film and television. I remain not completely opposed to it. But for me, it's so not the goal. I would rather just keep my head down and keep making a great comic book, then get out there and chase a great adaptation.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/brian-k-vaughan-y-last-man-hulus-runaways-saga-1059577

51 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

You've talked about Saga as being almost unadaptable, where you and Fiona Staples are designing this story to be a challenge to bring to life outside of comics. Has your experience with Runaways, and the experience you're having with Michael on Y: The Last Man, changed your opinion at all on Saga and its ability to be adapted? Are TV and film even ready for a story of Saga's size and scale?

(Laughs.) You know, I still probably think not yet. But I wouldn't have imagined what was possible with Runaways now being possible 15 years ago … so, maybe in 15 years we will have caught up. I still think for now, I flatter myself to think Fiona and I are doing something that celebrates what only comics can do, which is the scope beyond a Hollywood blockbuster in terms of the visuals, but also a challenging grown-up story like you would get in a long-form TV drama. I think it's still very difficult, with what we're trying to say and do, for that to be done in film and television. I remain not completely opposed to it. But for me, it's so not the goal. I would rather just keep my head down and keep making a great comic book, then get out there and chase a great adaptation.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/brian-k-vaughan-y-last-man-hulus-runaways-saga-1059577

From March 28:

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/brian-k-vaughan-interview-saga-issue-50

With Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg’s plans to adapt Invincible and a few reports of you writing a Silver Surfer movie, has anyone come to you recently and asked about doing an adaptation of Saga?
Vaughan: Pretty much every day for the last six years, yeah.

If you had to pick a medium, which makes the most sense to you: a big budget film, a television adaptation or a mature animated series in the vein of Netflix’s Castlevania?
Vaughan: I know this is a buzzkill of an answer, but I’m grateful that Fiona and I don’thave to pick any of those. Our goal was always to make a great comic -- not a stepping stone to help us reach some other medium -- and I like to think our story is so immersive, not in spite of the fact that it’s just static words and pictures, but because of it. Our readers are our collaborators, and they’re the ones who work hard to make this story come alive in their imaginations. I guess Fiona and I are both open to the possibility of someone eventually persuading us why making a Saga show or movie or cartoon would make the story better, but it hasn’t happened yet.

6 minutes ago, sirwesker said:

From March 28:

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/brian-k-vaughan-interview-saga-issue-50

With Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg’s plans to adapt Invincible and a few reports of you writing a Silver Surfer movie, has anyone come to you recently and asked about doing an adaptation of Saga?

If you had to pick a medium, which makes the most sense to you: a big budget film, a television adaptation or a mature animated series in the vein of Netflix’s Castlevania?
Vaughan: I know this is a buzzkill of an answer, but I’m grateful that Fiona and I don’thave to pick any of those. Our goal was always to make a great comic -- not a stepping stone to help us reach some other medium -- and I like to think our story is so immersive, not in spite of the fact that it’s just static words and pictures, but because of it. Our readers are our collaborators, and they’re the ones who work hard to make this story come alive in their imaginations. I guess Fiona and I are both open to the possibility of someone eventually persuading us why making a Saga show or movie or cartoon would make the story better, but it hasn’t happened yet.

Ha, sounds like he has to that answer that question a lot. It's basically the same answer.

34 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Ha, sounds like he has to that answer that question a lot. It's basically the same answer.

Yeah, its still a pretty big non-answer, but it seems more open than it used to. I used to hear that they were completely opposed to an adaptation. 

On 4/6/2018 at 1:21 PM, sirwesker said:

From March 28:

Not every comic or franchise needs a tv show or movie. As a saga fan, I’m ok with it just being a comic series and I think many saga fans agree. 

On 4/6/2018 at 5:06 PM, sirwesker said:

Added the last piece to my #1 collection. 

Awesome pic! I also have a RRP 9.8 SS as well, it's one of my pride and joys! 

I definitely think that if Saga ever gets picked up it needs to be waaaaay after the series has ended. With the Walking Dead, they changed a lot of things meanwhile the series is currently running but with Saga, a straight interpretation would work best. Nothing needs to be changed. Just like Runaways, the story is pretty similar to the comics and brings back the nostalgia of the comic. Plus, why bother him when both him and Fiona are making a great book? Let them focus on the comic for now and create the best stories and then worry about adapting the stories later. 

Lastly, Vaughan on a Silver Surfer movie would be epic! 

IMG_4650.JPG