• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR (May-2018)
5 5

1,501 posts in this topic

On 01/05/2018 at 11:38 AM, bane said:

I really can't be bothered to go through all the points of why I didn't like Ultron.

I'm glad you liked it and hold it in high regard. (thumbsu

Was there not enough punching for you?

Too much Pepper Potts?

1 hour ago, thunsicker said:

In fairness to bane, I'm not sure AoU is is most people's top half of MCU movies.  I think I'd put it 12th or 13th of the 19.

I'd agree with that.  Was better than Iron Man 3, that's the best I can say about it.

1 hour ago, thunsicker said:

In fairness to bane, I'm not sure AoU is is most people's top half of MCU movies.  I think I'd put it 12th or 13th of the 19.

At the time of release, I viewed it as a disappointment.  In a way, I still do, but as a whole, I've come to appreciate it more.  Mostly because it introduces Scarlet Witch and Vision (who have seen expanded roles in Civil War and Infinity War).  We see the relationship with her brother and can begin to understand her motivations moving forward as a result of his death.  As such, AoU is an integral piece to fully understanding everything we see in Infinity War.  Not only that, but it gives me a greater appreciation for Infinity War and the universe building of the MCU as a result.

4 hours ago, thunsicker said:

Agreed.

Age of Ultron was a huge let-down.

Especially after the majesty that was The Winter Soldier.

Edited by Gatsby77

18 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Definetely an epic movie and I liked it.  Not nearly as funny as Thor but what funny they had in it worked.  Lots of people were confused at the end.  I’d give it an A- just because it can’t compare to A movies like Avatar.  I’ll probably see it again as a red box movie but definetely not in the theaters.

Who wants this movie to be funny????? Its supposed to be cosmically, mind blowingly awesome!

I watched most of the Marvel movies in anticipation of IW, and found that many I didn't care for before were better with another viewing. AOU is actually pretty good, especially the Vision and the twins. I've always felt that both IRON MAN II and THE INCREDIBLE HULK were underrated. Justin Hammer is one of my favorite supporting characters, and the Hulk movie had a good sense of humor about itself. Plus I loved Tim Roth and the nut who played the Leader. Plus all of Stanley's pizza looked great, as did the gorgeous Portuguese girl at the beginning of the movie. ;)

IM3 went down easier this time. It's still flawed, but I do like Kingsley, and the first half is terrific.

The first two Thor movies, despite good work by Hopkins and Hiddleston, are still mediocre. 

Edited by Larryw7

Ok I saw it. I know those who see my posts on the more recent marvel movies know I’m not the biggest fan of their movies. That being said, I really enjoyed this movie up to the ending. The beginning was great, the middle was solid, but I was a bit disappointed with the ending. 

I give it 4/5

my biggest issues with the movie (these are petty, except for the final one)

Spoiler

1. Banners NYC accent in the first part of the film. Was he in Brooklyn this whole time? I’ve never liked the actor for this role though I like the actor overall. I get Banner is supposed to be a bit of a whiny punk but this was annoying.

2. Doctor Strange and the need to bang his wrists together every time he did a spell. This has officially replaced the Iron Man landing with one knee down.

3. The lack of actual characters dying. Those who disappeared at the end will be back we know this based on the announced sequels. The expectations were high when he killed Loki and I for a brief moment felt he had killed Drax and Mantis. The death count should have been higher in my opinion. I didn’t think Disney would do it and if course they complied. 

The things I loved

1. Captain America in the shadows in Scotland. He looked and reminded me of Cap. 

2. This Thor (with less “funny” lines) was the God of Thunder. 

3. The fight at Titan.

Edited by jsilverjanet

Is this the movie with Chris Pratt? I don’t know anything about the movie but I heard A LOT of people are mad about what his character did at the end of one of these superhero movies. Not mad at the movie, but actually ticked off at him because of what his character did. Even receiving threats.

28 minutes ago, the_Thing ® said:

Is this the movie with Chris Pratt? I don’t know anything about the movie but I heard A LOT of people are mad about what his character did at the end of one of these superhero movies. Not mad at the movie, but actually ticked off at him because of what his character did. Even receiving threats.

This is the movie they're pissed at, yes. 

Thanos' Motivations in Avengers: Infinity War Have Much Stronger Comic Connections Than You Think

Thanos’ quest for the Infinity Stones comes to a head in Avengers: Infinity War, but the movie also finally gives us the reason why the Mad Titan has spent six years’ worth of post-credits teasers gathering such vast cosmic power. And, perhaps surprisingly, those motivations have deep roots in the comics.

tb3valnfpsnxqxdbdtol.png

On 1 May 2018 at 5:56 PM, ExNihilo said:

I think there's quite a few "purists" out there who complained about the way Thanos was characterized.  They disliked the absence of Death as a motivating factor.  They disagreed with Thanos crying and loving Gamora.  They seem to want the movie to play out the same way as in the comics.  The source material is meant to be used as inspiration and frankly, some of the scenes are clearly derived from moments in the book.  Honestly, the fan service from some of the scenes was truly great to see on screen (Mantis/Drax on Knowhere, Iron Spider, the last scene, etc).

I thought that they balanced Thanos' personality quite well to make it work for a mainstream audience, whereas, in the comics, it might get a little bit too deep, philosophical and psychological to simplify and translate fully into this format.  

In fact, I recently read Starlin's Infinity graphic novel trilogy, and the first in particular, Revelation, is terribly-overblown psychedelic, philosophical bollocks, and very disappointing compared to his comparatively reined-in series such as the classic Infinity Gauntlet.