• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR (May-2018)
5 5

1,501 posts in this topic

What I found most impressive about this movie was how easy it as to follow.

Considering how many characters they had to juggle it could have easily been a hot mess, overly complicated and a failure. It was masterful.

DC needs to take note. They could have made BvS into 3 multiple movies and it would have been a hit.

Great work, Marvel. Feige is a genius and will be remembered as the mastermind when this Golden era of superhero movies passes.

5 hours ago, VintageComics said:

What I found most impressive about this movie was how easy it as to follow.

Considering how many characters they had to juggle it could have easily been a hot mess, overly complicated and a failure. It was masterful.

DC needs to take note. They could have made BvS into 3 multiple movies and it would have been a hit.

Great work, Marvel. Feige is a genius and will be remembered as the mastermind when this Golden era of superhero movies passes.

Well put.  Multiple locales, star characters galore, and yet...flowed seamlessly.  

To this day, the only thing I remember about BvS is Wonder Woman.  But the whole of Infinity War is definitely imprinted on my brain.

15 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

650 seems low.  will be @625 thru memorial day, and I can't see it having only 25m in the tank from there. 

I agree & initially thought it could reach closer to TFA, but that's where the #'s are leading @ current 50% weekly drops. It's too good a movie to be dropping this quickly, so I hope that I'm wrong & it bounces back, but I'm just following the #'s current trend while factoring in the release schedule. This week will definitely get a boost @ 35% drops because of Memorial day, but I expect 50%+ - 60% next week. Let's say 25 mill from Friday through Thursday + 605.19 = 630.19, then add 11.25 (55%), 6.19 (45%), 3.4 (45%), 1.53 (55% JW:FK), .84 (45%), .46 (45%), .25 (45%), .14 (45%) = 654.25 mill in 13 weeks. It all depends how other releases fare at the BO the next few months. If Solo had been a success AIW would have probably landed closer to 15 mill Memorial day weekend rather than 20+. I'm going to see it again for a 5th time tomorrow :cloud9:& will probably go a few more times next month. I loved DP2 but AIW is by far my favorite Superhero film to date & I expect AIG to surpass it. They just need to set a release date with 6+ weeks of below average films scheduled or during the Holidays & it will crush Black Panther domestically.

Edited by chezmtghut

Avengers: Infinity War earned $17.435 million on its fifth Fri-Sun weekend, which was a drop of only 40% from last weekend. That's about on part with Fast Five's 39% fifth-weekend drop over Memorial Day 2011 (against Hangover Part II and Kung Fu Panda II and the second weekend of Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides). It's also the 12th-biggest fifth-weekend gross of all time (77th when adjusted for inflation).

With a new domestic total of $626.441 million, it has now earned more in unadjusted domestic grosses than Star Wars: The Last Jedi ($620m in 2017/2018) and The Avengers ($623m in 2012). That makes it the sixth-biggest domestic earner of all time. It currently sits behind Jurassic World ($652m in 2015), Titanic ($659m, counting the 2012 3D reissue but with $600m of that coming from 1997/1998), Black Panther ($699m), Avatar ($760m in 2009/2010) and Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($937m in 2015/2016).

At this rate of play, give or take screen count and other variables, Avengers: Infinity War should end its run with around $665 million in North America. That will put it behind only Black Panther (which may yet crawl to $700m if Disney wills it so), Avatar and The Force Awakens. Now if you want to adjust for inflation, Infinity War is currently in 41st place between Home Alone ($286m in 1990/$620m adjusted) and Independence Day ($306m in 1996/$635m adjusted). If it gets to $562m, it'll be in 35th place between Ghostbusters ($242m in 1984/$651m adjusted) and Sleeping Beauty ($51.6m in 1959/$665.7m adjusted).

5 hours ago, chezmtghut said:

I agree & initially thought it could reach closer to TFA, but that's where the #'s are leading @ current 50% weekly drops. It's too good a movie to be dropping this quickly, so I hope that I'm wrong & it bounces back, but I'm just following the #'s current trend while factoring in the release schedule. This week will definitely get a boost @ 35% drops because of Memorial day, but I expect 50%+ - 60% next week. Let's say 25 mill from Friday through Thursday + 605.19 = 630.19, then add 11.25 (55%), 6.19 (45%), 3.4 (45%), 1.53 (55% JW:FK), .84 (45%), .46 (45%), .25 (45%), .14 (45%) = 654.25 mill in 13 weeks. It all depends how other releases fare at the BO the next few months. If Solo had been a success AIW would have probably landed closer to 15 mill Memorial day weekend rather than 20+. I'm going to see it again for a 5th time tomorrow :cloud9:& will probably go a few more times next month. I loved DP2 but AIW is by far my favorite Superhero film to date & I expect AIG to surpass it. They just need to set a release date with 6+ weeks of below average films scheduled or during the Holidays & it will crush Black Panther domestically.

$700+ million in domestic box office is difficult to reach.

That's why only two movies have reached that level (Star Wars 7 & Avatar).

Black Panther will eventually hit $700 million.

Avengers 4 might be #3 in the 2019 domestic box office to...the Lion King (July 19th) and Star Wars IX (December 20th)! 

On 5/28/2018 at 9:11 AM, chezmtghut said:

Yeah - I just ran the numbers factoring in consistent (and very generous) 40% drops for the next 12 weeks.

Still puts it at just under $680 million domestic -- $670-$675 million is more likely.

Insane that Infinity War will end up grossing less domestically than Black Panther, but there we are.

On 5/27/2018 at 8:47 PM, mattn792 said:

To this day, the only thing I remember about BvS is Wonder Woman.

Honestly, other than the fact that she was in the movie, I don't remember anything about BvS.  How she was introduced, what she did (though I remember she was the best part of the movie).  In fact, the only bit I remember is "Martha!!!"

10 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Insane that Infinity War will end up grossing less domestically than Black Panther, but there we are.

I don't think it's insane at all.  Black Panther was a cultural hit and really pulled in audience members who aren't comic book fans and BP was the first MCU movie they saw.  Infinity War was always going to cater strongly to the comic book crowd and those who have been following along for the last decade.

1 hour ago, ExNihilo said:

Honestly, other than the fact that she was in the movie, I don't remember anything about BvS.  How she was introduced, what she did (though I remember she was the best part of the movie).  In fact, the only bit I remember is "Martha!!!"

Is that really all you can remember? It was the haters' chant about the movie. But there was more to it than that.

Not that you need to like it. It was just an odd statement.

34 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Is that really all you can remember? It was the haters' chant about the movie. But there was more to it than that.

Not that you need to like it. It was just an odd statement.

I mean, there was obviously more to it, but none of it stood out.  I remember Batman in a metal suit fighting Superman, but I don't remember how that fight is resolved (i assume kryptonite).  I remember Wonder Woman making an appearance and thinking "she's the only saving grace to this movie."  I remember "is she with you?"  "No, I thought she was with you."  I remember Jesse Eisenberg's (or whatever his name is) god awful Lex Luthor.  I mean, I remember bits and pieces of the movie, but I don't recall anything with full clarity as I do with scenes/movies from the MCU.  I can't remember how the movie starts and i can't remember how it ends.  That's a big problem when a movie fails to capture me in that way.  There's no denying BvS was a hot mess and was a truly forgettable film.  The fact that people harped on and made meme's about "Martha" is what made it memorable.  But if it matters, the film was too dark (tonally and from a color pallette perspective), the characters are shades of what we know they should be or what they can be, the plot (from what little I recollect) was a mess, the movie was rushed (should have been drawn out to 2 films, but WB was playing catch up to Marvel and had to rush it.  Same with Justice League...rushed).

Edited by ExNihilo

9 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I mean, there was obviously more to it, but none of it stood out.  I remember Batman in a metal suit fighting Superman, but I don't remember how that fight is resolved (i assume kryptonite).  I remember Wonder Woman making an appearance and thinking "she's the only saving grace to this movie."  I remember "is she with you?"  "No, I thought she was with you."  I remember Jesse Eisenberg's (or whatever his name is) god awful Lex Luthor.  I mean, I remember bits and pieces of the movie, but I don't recall anything with full clarity as I do with scenes/movies from the MCU.  I can't remember how the movie starts and i can't remember how it ends.  That's a big problem when a movie fails to capture me in that way.  There's no denying BvS was a hot mess and was a truly forgettable film.  The fact that people harped on and made meme's about "Martha" is what made it memorable.  But if it matters, the film was too dark (tonally and from a color pallette perspective), the characters are shades of what we know they should be or what they can be, the plot (from what little I recollect) was a mess, the movie was rushed (should have been drawn out to 2 films, but WB was playing catch up to Marvel and had to rush it.  Same with Justice League...rushed).

Thanks for the details. It gives me a reference for your frame-of-mind on the film.

4 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

I don't think it's insane at all.  Black Panther was a cultural hit and really pulled in audience members who aren't comic book fans and BP was the first MCU movie they saw.  Infinity War was always going to cater strongly to the comic book crowd and those who have been following along for the last decade.

:golfclap:

Happy to be proven wrong on this one. Looks like it just may catch up to TFA after all (roughly 100 mill to go). Saw it a 5th time yesterday & it gets better with every viewing.:cloud9: Can't wait to watch it a few dozen times at home.:bigsmile: