• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR (May-2018)
5 5

1,498 posts in this topic

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 7:09 AM, Callaway29 said:

I hate that there are two threads. Information is now discombobulated...

This is exactly how I feel about there being two FF48 threads in the Silver Age sub-forum.  Especially when one was created in November 15, 2014 and the other was April 3, 2018.  O.o

Took my kids to the first showing of the day. I thought it was a great superhero film. Thanos was awesome as the villain - I hope they do not kill him at the end of the next movie and keep him around as a foil for the more cosmic focussed next stage. He may come in handy as an "anti-hero" against the Celestials......

I hope they use the reset coming after the next film to replace some of the leads. I am sorry, but for the next phase of movies they need a new Spidey that does not have the look and build of an 11 or 12 year old.......even Peter hit puberty, went to college and grew up in the comics.

The one thing that I was disappointed by was the end of credits scene. It was underwhelming and had I known we would have to wait through half an hour of credits for just that I would have told the kids to leave right after the end of the film. That was likely the worst end of credits scene yet for a Marvel Film.

8 hours ago, media_junkie said:

Ok, just ot back from seeing this movie.  I hate to say it but I was underwhelmed, it was just an ok movie.

What could you have possibly wanted in place of this? 

7 hours ago, Chip Cataldo said:

What could you have possibly wanted in place of this? 

Not sure, I avoided all thespoliers I could during the week it took me to see the movie, however everyone seemed to be hyping it up like it was the best thing since sliced bread.  So maybe my hype level was at a level that could not be sustained.  After having thought about it, to me, IMO this was the biggest "paint by numbers" movie that Marvel has put out.  It was underwhelming.

Now it did have its good/cool moments but IMO not enough to rise above just being a mediocre movie.

On 5/5/2018 at 6:37 AM, Bosco685 said:

Did you ever reflect on maybe it was better Marvel suffered through the situation it made for itself, forcing the studio to focus just on the characters it does own?

Otherwise, maybe if it had all those other character rights it may have spread itself thin trying to push all these other characters. What it ended up doing is making them hungry to exceed Blade, Sony's Spider-Man and Fox's X-Men franchises. And with Feige, he learned directly by producing a number of those other movies before the MCU.

It was a blessing in disguise. (thumbsu

Avengers: Infinity War cost Marvel Studios upwards of $450,000 thousand a day and went over budget — something directors Anthony and Joe Russo attribute to an expensive cast, even more expensive visual effects, and the day-to-day of running such a massive production.

Asked about the cost that goes into an epic superhero crossover event like Infinity War during a visit to Sway in the Morning, Joe Russo answered, “The cast gets all of it.”

“We give most of it to Downey,” Anthony Russo joked, poking fun at the multi-million payday haul earned by Iron Man star Robert Downey Jr.

“It does break down that way where the cast does get a big percentage of it. These movies have been incredibly successful, there’s 18 of them, and typically as movies succeed, the cast can get more expensive,” Joe said.

“The VFX are incredibly expensive on a movie like this, well into the hundreds of millions. So between those two, those are the largest categories that take most of the money. Then there’s just the day-to-day running of a production that can be very expensive.”

Infinity War and its sequel, the unnamed Avengers 4, “shot for a year straight from January to January with about two weeks in-between,” Joe said, explaining costs end up in the neighborhood of “350, 400, 450,000 a day just to keep the production running.”

Last year, the two-parter was reported to carry a $1 billion dollar price tag.

Better they broke through the Ike Perlmutter mold of old, and threw funds at this being a massive production with all that star power. Well worth the expense.

On 4/29/2018 at 12:04 PM, Bosco685 said:

Disney Reveals Financial Muscle Of 'Avengers: Infinity War'

Marvel-table-1200x669.jpg

Production for seven of the movies based on Marvel Comics superhero characters has taken place in Britain, and as the table below shows, the cost so far of Infinity War is surpassed only by the $495.2 million (£306.1 million) spent on its prequel, 2015 blockbuster Avengers: Age of Ultron. There is good reason Disney has thrown its weight behind it.

Infinity War is the latest in the Marvel Cinematic Universe film series, which began in 2008 with the release of Iron Man, starring Robert Downey Jr. as the eponymous armored hero. It was a critical success and grossed $585.2 million, according to Box Office Mojo. The year after it premiered, Disney bought Marvel for $4 billion, and it has gone on to make 17 more movies in the series.

Infinity War is the culmination of all of them and could be the most lucrative. It is said to have a shot of surpassing the record $248 million earned in North America by fellow Disney pic Star Wars: The Force Awakens over its opening weekend. Its cast list reads like a roll call for an awards ceremony.

On 4/29/2018 at 12:04 PM, Bosco685 said:

Disney Reveals Financial Muscle Of 'Avengers: Infinity War'

Marvel-table-1200x669.jpg

Production for seven of the movies based on Marvel Comics superhero characters has taken place in Britain, and as the table below shows, the cost so far of Infinity War is surpassed only by the $495.2 million (£306.1 million) spent on its prequel, 2015 blockbuster Avengers: Age of Ultron. There is good reason Disney has thrown its weight behind it.

Infinity War is the latest in the Marvel Cinematic Universe film series, which began in 2008 with the release of Iron Man, starring Robert Downey Jr. as the eponymous armored hero. It was a critical success and grossed $585.2 million, according to Box Office Mojo. The year after it premiered, Disney bought Marvel for $4 billion, and it has gone on to make 17 more movies in the series.

Infinity War is the culmination of all of them and could be the most lucrative. It is said to have a shot of surpassing the record $248 million earned in North America by fellow Disney pic Star Wars: The Force Awakens over its opening weekend. Its cast list reads like a roll call for an awards ceremony.

Bosco -- I'm confused.

If you're using the above article as the source for your stated budget of $321.2 million for Infinity War, why are you not also updating your budget for Age of Ultron to the article's stated cost of $495.2 million?

Is it a reliable source or not?

If it's not reliable, why are you trusting the stated budget for one and not the other?

49 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Bosco -- I'm confused.

If you're using the above article as the source for your stated budget of $321.2 million for Infinity War, why are you not also updating your budget for Age of Ultron to the article's stated cost of $495.2 million?

If it's not reliable, why are you trusting the stated budget for one and not the other?

You seem to get extra excited over these things. That's pretty odd.

But I'll think it over. I was too busy today enjoy the outdoors. Maybe you should too.

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

Bosco -- I'm confused.

I think it's been established that Bosco's stated budget for his charts depends on whether or not it is a DC or Marvel film and is an amalgam of box office mojo, random articles, gut instinct, wild azz guesses and wishful thinking.  

I once took them at face value and used them as a quasi-authority. 

I don't anymore.   

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR Directors Reveal That Adam Warlock Was Never Set To Appear In The Movie

adam-warlock-_Marvel.jpg

Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn has frequently said that Adam Warlock is being saved for Vol. 3 (something which one of Vol. 2's after-credits scenes confirmed) and Joe and Anthony Russo have now confirmed that. While the movie's screenwriters revealed that the hero was included in an early draft, they've made it clear that they never had a plan in place for him to help out the team.

"That’s a James Gunn thing — we never intended to put Adam Warlock in Infinity War," Anthony says. "We have so many heroes we have to service that you guys love and give them screen-time." He went on to admit that the only way to include Adam would have been to essentially force him into the story, something which would have meant he had no real emotional connection to the Mad Titan.

"You want to see the hero and villain to have an emotional connection," he continued. "You wouldn’t have a connection to him [Warlock] as he doesn’t have a connection with Thanos and a built-up story."

I tend to not enjoy movies that have so much hype so I suspect that that was the case with this. It was a well produced movie (saw it at IMAX 3D Lincoln sq dead center seats which are optimal) but there was just soooo much going on and at parts it felt confusing. If I were to compare it to, say GOTG or BP, 2 movies which I enjoyed, I wouldn't even know where to start. GOTG was a self contained movie, fun, action packed, just sit and enjoy the ride. BP was the same but with an even deeper emotional level. Infinity War had sooooo much going on for it, it really did feel Iike reading a super commercial marvel cross over comic where they throw everyone and the kitchen sink just to get everyone's interest. Like a "contest of champions" or "DC vs Marvel". 

Another thing is that this movie was much darker than your average marvel movie. Much. Much darker. I mean I can't really believe a child would enjoy any of this UNLESS they were really into the comic stories and knew what was going on. Does Marvel try to be like DC now? 

Humor wise, I felt like the jokes were mediocre at best. And some were just waaay overplayed. Just one example of the top of my head: the part where drax was eavesdropping, was funny asf, but then the joke kept going for another 10-15 seconds. Same with Starlord signaling to his crew to go right and they pass him by. I was laughing my a** off, but then he kept on saying it 2-3 times again. Come on. 

The ending was without a doubt very disappointing. I mean, I went with a friend who's not into comic books, and she just looked at me with opened eyes trying to get an answer from "the comic expert" as if saying "ok, so tell me wtf did just happen" and I totally had nothing to say. I mean did I miss something? Or did they all die and this is a cliffhanger for the next movie. Nahhhh, Marvel would never do that. Wrong

so yeah, sorry to say guys, not my cup of tea. 

I never really cared for continued stories.... especially with a couple years between..... but the movie was so good otherwise that I'll be OK.... maybe they're setting up a Marvel/ D.C. crossover for "Crisis On Infinite Earths" ....not. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu