• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kansas City Comic Con -- TBA 2017

57 posts in this topic

It wasn't a bad show, but it wasn't great either. If you had to choose one or the other, I'd go Planet. Considering the promoter used to be involved with Planet there were some things I was surprised to see or not see. I will give them props for bringing in a few higher profile creators than what Planet did this year.

I pretty much agree with what D Stuart said above. I haven't yet been to Planet, so I can't compare the two, but this was basically a solid medium/regional sized show. It was similar in size to the shows we do at the Irving Convention Center (Dallas Fan Days/Sci-Fi Expo) in February & October each year, but I felt like this had a better mix of comic dealers amongst the non-comic tables. The guest list was also very solid, but I got to walk right up to Zeck, Beatty, and Shooter one right after the other with zero lines. It was great for me, but I'm not sure it bodes well for the return of talent like that in subsequent years.

Wall books were fairly sparse in the affordable ($100-500) range. I did see three AF #15s and two or three FF #1s, and most of the major keys were represented on walls. But in terms of nicer SA material I was looking for I didn't see much. I saw only a couple of pre-hero Marvel books in the room, an AA #1 and a TOS #16, neither was in grade. Not a ton in the way of slabbed keys/better books outside of Boom Comics (out of Topeka and Manhattan), Be Bop (KC area) or Elite Comics (Overland Park). I'd heard there was a CGC 9.8 Hulk #181 in the room Friday. As for the "complete Marvel collection", it was either awfully picked over by the time I saw the booth on Sunday morning, or it wasn't all that complete to begin with. I'd be interested to hear anything more about this collection that anyone might know.

I did do well with box diving, and spent about $50 on $1-5 material that filled some gaps. I do enjoy the hunt, and that made the trip more than worthwhile.

If there was one con to the show it was the $30 entry fee for a one-day Sunday pass, which I thought was a bit steep for what I got. I would have been fine spending $20 though. Parking was $8, which was quite fair for a downtown convention center, and it was fairly easy to get to (traffic was virtually nonexistent when we rolled up at about 10:30). But I'd give it another shot next year, and would even consider setting up if I were in the position to do so. I was fine driving ~2 hours to get to this show, but if the same show were ~6 hours away in St. Louis I doubt I would make the trip unless I was also going for other reasons.

I talked to my friend who did the show and he said he will not be back to do the show again. He left early each day. I also asked if that Marvel collection had the 35 cent variant of Logan's Run, he said they didn't have any of the price variants that he could see.

I pretty much agree with what D Stuart said above. I haven't yet been to Planet, so I can't compare the two, but this was basically a solid medium/regional sized show. It was similar in size to the shows we do at the Irving Convention Center (Dallas Fan Days/Sci-Fi Expo) in February & October each year, but I felt like this had a better mix of comic dealers amongst the non-comic tables. The guest list was also very solid, but I got to walk right up to Zeck, Beatty, and Shooter one right after the other with zero lines. It was great for me, but I'm not sure it bodes well for the return of talent like that in subsequent years.

Wall books were fairly sparse in the affordable ($100-500) range. I did see three AF #15s and two or three FF #1s, and most of the major keys were represented on walls. But in terms of nicer SA material I was looking for I didn't see much. I saw only a couple of pre-hero Marvel books in the room, an AA #1 and a TOS #16, neither was in grade. Not a ton in the way of slabbed keys/better books outside of Boom Comics (out of Topeka and Manhattan), Be Bop (KC area) or Elite Comics (Overland Park). I'd heard there was a CGC 9.8 Hulk #181 in the room Friday. As for the "complete Marvel collection", it was either awfully picked over by the time I saw the booth on Sunday morning, or it wasn't all that complete to begin with. I'd be interested to hear anything more about this collection that anyone might know.

I did do well with box diving, and spent about $50 on $1-5 material that filled some gaps. I do enjoy the hunt, and that made the trip more than worthwhile.

If there was one con to the show it was the $30 entry fee for a one-day Sunday pass, which I thought was a bit steep for what I got. I would have been fine spending $20 though. Parking was $8, which was quite fair for a downtown convention center, and it was fairly easy to get to (traffic was virtually nonexistent when we rolled up at about 10:30). But I'd give it another shot next year, and would even consider setting up if I were in the position to do so. I was fine driving ~2 hours to get to this show, but if the same show were ~6 hours away in St. Louis I doubt I would make the trip unless I was also going for other reasons.

I have been to worse cons in the region. This was one of the better ones. I will agree the complete marvel collection was cool to see but it was missing some thing. Oh yeah them being in better shape. The guy wanted 200000 for the collection. No thanks. I did have fun and got Jason Aaron to sign two of my female Thor comics for cgc ss. Overall it was fun.

I have been to worse cons in the region. This was one of the better ones. I will agree the complete marvel collection was cool to see but it was missing some thing. Oh yeah them being in better shape. The guy wanted 200000 for the collection. No thanks. I did have fun and got Jason Aaron to sign two of my female Thor comics for cgc ss. Overall it was fun.

I've been to many cons of this size without this good a selection of dealers and quality of guest list. It wasn't San Diego, but then few shows are. Other than the slightly overpriced Sunday admission price I was happy with it, but I can see how some would have been underwhelmed. Sunday's crowd was decent, but several of the comic dealers weren't exactly busy.

It's a show I would go back to as a buyer, but I would go one day for 4-5 hours and would not need a three day pass (which would only be a good option if you wanted to share it with friends, as it was a lanyard and not a wristband like WW).

Yeah, I'm still hoping to hear more about this "complete Marvel collection". I wouldn't expect all the 35 cent variants myself, but I would have expected complete SA runs of all the main titles at a minimum. I didn't see anything like that there.

Found this on the show's website:

From the official press release:

Face front, True Believers!

B-Bop Comics, a division of Friendly Frank's Inc. is proud to announce a complete collection of Marvel Comics, beginning with the dawn of the Marvel Age of Comics in Fantastic Four #1 (Nov. 1961) to this week's new releases! Marvel Comics has been the most important producer of pop-culture for a while, with just movies based on these comics grossing well over $15 billion to date. Also included are every Marvel magazine-sized edition, original graphic novel, and Treasury Edition. We will market the collection as one lot until at least 2016. We will begin posting scans of individual book and more at BBopComics.com soon.

Come by booth 1106 on Saturday after 3 PM for more information or contact Frank Mangiaracina directly. B-Bop Comics North, 6320 NW Barry Road, Kansas City, MO 64154 (816) 746.4569 BBop@swbell.net

Several of the key issues will be available to see at Kansas City Comic Con. This could very well be the only time you will ever see them together in one place in your lifetime. Don't miss your opportunity to witness comic book history!

This explains why I didn't see more of the books at the show, I guess. Not sure that trying to sell as a lot is the best strategy, but they're welcome to try.

True on the 35 cent variants. I got a close up on the Hulk #1 and in my opinion it would have graded out at a 1.0 to 1.5. All of the older comics on that collections where in fair to poor condition. $200000 for the lot would have been a bust for anyone unless they wanted to say they had the collection. However, at that price it would have been for a loss. I would have maybe done 125000 total if I felt like being generous. Otherwise I would not have paid a dime.