• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING starring Tom Holland (7/28/17)
3 3

1,648 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Jaydogrules said:

Already have one from the significant other.  lol:baiting:

-J.

Okay. Then the bracelets and headpiece. So you get the full-force effect - and the financial success she felt at the theaters.

:headbang:  :foryou:

3 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

this has become the most tedious thread on the boards.  let's move on to thor and justice league and hope for great flicks that further invigorate the genre!  at least that's what i hope for.

Nah just crazy and fun. At least JayDog has passion in his belief. Overall Warner has had the most successful year domestically of all the studios and maybe financially worldwide. Disney has had some real stinkers.

3 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

this has become the most tedious thread on the boards.  let's move on to thor and justice league and hope for great flicks that further invigorate the genre!  at least that's what i hope for.

Indeed. It does seem to have turned into a discussion about money doesn't it @Straw-Man. Meanwhile, the film continues to be terrible. :shy:

1 hour ago, Marwood & I said:

Indeed. It does seem to have turned into a discussion about money doesn't it @Straw-Man. Meanwhile, the film continues to be terrible. :shy:

I didn't think Homecoming was terrible. It wasn't my top two Spider-Man movie choice. But I did find it entertaining. And the Vulture portrayal made the movie worth watching.

Tony Stark being forced on us too often - including his influence on so much technology utilized across the MCU - does get a little old.

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I didn't think Homecoming was terrible. It wasn't my top two Spider-Man movie choice. But I did find it entertaining. And the Vulture portrayal made the movie worth watching.

Tony Stark being forced on us too often - including his influence on so much technology utilized across the MCU - does get a little old.

As a film, there was some good stuff in it, I agree. But it was so far away from the spirit, mood, history and motivation of Spider-Man as I see him that it may as well have been about a completely different hero / person. And as a film on its own, it brought nothing new to the medium.  No wow scene, no drama, no flair. But I've said all this already many posts back.  There is a truly great Spider-Man film waiting to be made, and some day someone will make it. The first two were well pitched and well made films with the right tone and spirit in my view. But they had flaws. 3 could have been great, but we all know now that Raimi was coerced by the men in suits who tend to ruin everything they touch, trying to tell the talent how to be talented. 

Tony Stark is a great creation and RDJ has nailed him on screen.  But making Spidey appear second fiddle to him in his own film is all wrong. I feel like saying why I dislike it all over again now. But look, you're right, terrible is not the right word. Travesty is. 

And for those not in the UK, the "Hey, go, let's go" song is used widely over here in an advert for a firm who deliver white goods. So even that attempt at teen humour fell flat for me. I left the cinema thinking about getting a new fridge. 

1 hour ago, Marwood & I said:

And for those not in the UK, the "Hey, go, let's go" song is used widely over here in an advert for a firm who deliver white goods. So even that attempt at teen humour fell flat for me. I left the cinema thinking about getting a new fridge. 

'Hey! Oh! Let's Go!'

:headbang:

3 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

As a film, there was some good stuff in it, I agree. But it was so far away from the spirit, mood, history and motivation of Spider-Man as I see him that it may as well have been about a completely different hero / person. And as a film on its own, it brought nothing new to the medium.  No wow scene, no drama, no flair. But I've said all this already many posts back.  There is a truly great Spider-Man film waiting to be made, and some day someone will make it. The first two were well pitched and well made films with the right tone and spirit in my view. But they had flaws. 3 could have been great, but we all know now that Raimi was coerced by the men in suits who tend to ruin everything they touch, trying to tell the talent how to be talented. 

Tony Stark is a great creation and RDJ has nailed him on screen.  But making Spidey appear second fiddle to him in his own film is all wrong. I feel like saying why I dislike it all over again now. But look, you're right, terrible is not the right word. Travesty is. 

From what I have seen on Spidey I would say this film fits in closer with the first issues than any other Spider-Man film. He wanted to join the FF, but said no because they wouldn't pay him. So why wouldn't he want to join the Avengers at that point in the books or this point in the films if the right offer was made. I don't think he would have turned down a suit. The soundtrack was fantastic

On 10/12/2017 at 4:25 PM, Marwood & I said:

Excellent analysis (thumbsu

On 10/12/2017 at 10:10 AM, Straw-Man said:

Well this isn't aimed at you Straw-Man because you were not in on it.

When Spider-Man Homecoming looked like it wasn't going to be the number one superhero movie at the box office in 2017 a certain number of posters took pride in coming into this thread daily to bash Spider-Man Homecoming with a see I told you this movie stunk attitude,than when Spider-Man Homecoming eventually moved past the other superhero movies to become number 1 most of those same posters either stopped posting in this thread or now are saying we are sick about hearing about Spider-Man Homecoming box office results,even though they were the ones that originally brought it up. lol

I give kudos to Jay for standing by his beliefs and argument.

The same thing happened to me with the Garfield thread. No matter what Tobey fans will not be happy. :bigsmile:

This is the deal no Tobey fan will ever be 100 percent happy with future Spider-Man movies.

It doesn't matter if Marvel makes them or Sony.

You will always have the Tobey fans who will be disappointed and can't move on just like the Bixby Hulk and Reeve Superman fans.

So the point being is expect arguments with these kind of characters that you wouldn't with Guardians of the Galaxy and Deadpool.

I guarantee the next Spider-Man movie will do bigger box office than Spider-Man Homecoming,but we will have fans coming into that thread comparing it to the Tobey movies and being disappointed. :preach:

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

4 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Excellent analysis (thumbsu

Ta. It's just how I feel about it Craig. I hope some of my threads here show that I'm one of the biggest Spidey fans going, so it gives me absolutely no pleasure to feel this way about the film. I loved Batman vs Superman though, so I'm used to being on the 'opposing' side  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Christopher Reeve though is at a higher level than Tobey. So I could see your point of view. (thumbsu

There were those leaning towards the original Sam Raimi movies because of more than the lead actor. I don't think I saw many (if anyone) say Tom Holland was a terrible choice. It was the story they were pointing to.

And I am not sure you can lump Amazing Spider-Man 2's final results in with this movie. It wasn't Andrew Garfield that brought ASM2 to the screen the way the entire movie was interpreted: it was the director and the studio. I thought he was good in Amazing Spider-Man. What the Sony team brought to the table as a sequel was just a mess.

Not to say you shouldn't cheer on anyone for their love of a movie. Though some of the 'details' provided on financial success have been fun.

Just finished it.

It was ok, maybe good. It just had really some drag-azz parts, that really bogged it down in worn-out high school clichés.

Felt like the thing finally got going during the last hour.

Holland was good, like a manic Elijah Wood and Keaton was pitch perfect.

There was really no danger in it because the CG effects look so fake and the heightened reality, makes it feel like the characters are too bulletproof to have any suspenseful anxiety to worry about. For all the firepower and explosions, it felt like no one was in any real jeopardy, to require assistance from a superhero.

Plus, I hated how the actor played the Ned character. Despite people's reactions to Zendaya, I enjoyed her subtle rebel performance. And the movie had moments, here and there. Too bad, RDJ and Marvel Studios's "established" and somewhat suffocating mythology tended to overshadow them.

Like Antman, it's a decent watch. But, I figure I'll forget about this movie in a week or two. Hopefully, They won't clutter it up with everything but the kitchen sink next time.