• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING starring Tom Holland (7/28/17)
3 3

1,648 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, nWo_22 said:

What do you all think of the newest Spider-man Homecoming trailer?

I am def excited for it, but it does feel like Iron Man 4. lol

It looks awesome.  I am excited for this one.  

Keaton looks like he going to be good as the Vulture.  

7 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Your linked stories say it all--it's not news, it's pure speculation from Amy Pascal who hasn't worked for Sony for several years now.

This looks leagues better than The Amazing Spider-Man.

Note: I think Andrew Garfield got a raw deal and was brought down by atrocious writing and plotting (see also, Brandon Routh in Superman Returns), but at least he's gone on to better things.

9 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Your linked stories say it all--it's not news, it's pure speculation from Amy Pascal who hasn't worked for Sony for several years now.

Unfortunately, not. She still represents the interest of Sony with this arrangement. The concerns about Marvel Studio spending have been coming up more than once. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some Sony grumbling how those 'unappreciative partners' are spending excessively. Although they can always go back to check the spend vs. profits from ASM2, and come back down to reality.

I guess Sony doesn't like the original deal worked out with Disney/Marvel.

Spider-Man: How Sony, Marvel Will Benefit from Unique Deal (EXCLUSIVE)

Marvel Studios won’t pay Sony Pictures for the rights to put Spider-Man in “Captain America: Civil War,” the “Avengers” franchise or its other superhero films, as part of its new partnership with the studio, according to sources with knowledge of the deal. At the same time, Marvel won’t receive a cut of the box office for any of Sony’s films that feature Spider-Man. Sony won’t receive a percentage of the revenue Disney makes from Marvel’s films that have Spider-Man, either.

There may be some opportunities for Marvel to benefit financially from the Sony films, with payments tied to certain box office milestones. The financial relationship is likened by sources to the kind of compensation structure a producer would receive.

Marvel had originally wanted to buy back Spider-Man from Sony. But its resulting partnership, which was in the works since October, is just that — an arrangement that enables both Sony and Marvel to mutually benefit at the box office by having Spider-Man appear in their movies.

I think it looks like this when it comes to the movies.

Captain America: Civil War
- Marvel covers production costs
- Marvel produces the movie
- Marvel keeps profits

Spider-Man: Homecoming
- Sony covers production costs
- Sony keeps profits

Avengers: Infinity War
- Marvel funds the movie
- Marvel keeps profits

Spider-Man: Homecoming 2
- Sony keeps profits

Edited by Bosco685

16 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I guess Sony doesn't like the original deal worked out with Disney/Marvel.

Spider-Man: How Sony, Marvel Will Benefit from Unique Deal (EXCLUSIVE)

I think it looks like this when it comes to the movies.

Captain America: Civil War
- Marvel covers production costs
- Marvel keeps profits

Spider-Man: Homecoming
- Sony keeps profits

Avengers: Infinity War
- Marvel funds the movie
- Marvel keeps profits

Spider-Man: Homecoming 2
- Sony keeps profits

What's the difference between "covers production costs" and "produces?"

Does "produces" not literally mean "pay for?" Or are you distinguishing between "pay for the movie" vs. "pay for distribution and marketing?"

16 hours ago, Bosco685 said:
On 3/29/2017 at 7:53 AM, fantastic_four said:

Unfortunately, not. She still represents the interest of Sony with this arrangement. The concerns about Marvel Studio spending have been coming up more than once. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some Sony grumbling how those 'unappreciative partners' are spending excessively. Although they can always go back to check the spend vs. profits from ASM2, and come back down to reality.

Her wording doesn't sound like the deal is anywhere close to over.  She spent 98% of that statement hyping the relationship and 2% saying it may never happen again.  As Sony's producer on the film that's just politics as usual.

Is there any indication that the budget on this thing will exceed those of the previous films?

3 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Film producers are in charge of making sure a movie gets made.  So Sony is paying Marvel to make it.

Bingo! And why Sony may feel costs have gotten out of control with Marvel driving everything associated with these movies.