• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING starring Tom Holland (7/28/17)
3 3

1,648 posts in this topic

Spider-Man Director Shares His Thoughts On Tom Holland

"You have to think about what story you want to tell, and what’s the best way to tell it," Watts told the Toronto Sun while promoting Cop Car. “The idea that there are no real limitations is exciting, but I think you have to apply your own limitations to make sure you’re telling the right kind of story."

His leading man is Tom Holland (The Impossible), a 19-year-old actor that embodies everything a director could look for in a Peter Parker/Spider-Man. "It feels like he’s the right age, he has the right level of enthusiasm and a little bit of confidence, but a lot of insecurity mixed into that," Watts said. "On top of nailing the character, he can also do a standing backflip."

"Spider-Man" Director Confirms Peter Parker's Age

Jon Watts, director of Sony Pictures' and Marvel Studios forthcoming Spider-Man reboot, spoke with Empire Magazine about the upcoming project, confirming Peter Parker's age and sharing some insights about his approach to the film's tone.

"I love the idea of makiking a coming-of-age high-school movie," Watts told Empire (via Yahoo!). "We’re really going to see Peter Parker in high school and get deeper into that side of it. He’s just 15 now."

Watts also reiterated that we won't be seeing Spider-Man's origin for a third time saying, "There are only so many times you can kill Uncle Ben."

lol

Poor Uncle Ben.

Jon Watts, director of Sony Pictures' and Marvel Studios forthcoming Spider-Man reboot, spoke with Empire Magazine about the upcoming project, confirming Peter Parker's age and sharing some insights about his approach to the film's tone.

"I love the idea of makiking a coming-of-age high-school movie," Watts told Empire (via Yahoo!). "We’re really going to see Peter Parker in high school and get deeper into that side of it. He’s just 15 now."

Watts also reiterated that we won't be seeing Spider-Man's origin for a third time saying, "There are only so many times you can kill Uncle Ben."

lol

Poor Uncle Ben.

Maybe this version of Spider-man can actually catch the mugger that killed the last version of Uncle Ben to complete the origin retelling in ASM.

SINISTER SIX Movie Would Have Included SPIDER-MAN; May Still Happen With Marvel Studios

When io9 caught up with The Martian writer recently, he confirmed that it would have been a standalone movie set in The Amazing Spider-Man Universe which would have very much featured Andrew Garfield's Peter Parker in a leading role.

"My vision of that movie was a summer annual," Goddard explained to the site. "So you didn’t have to worry about continuity. It was just, ‘We take Peter, put him on an adventure, we put him back in his life.’ I intentionally wanted a movie that didn’t have to worry about mythology and continuity. It was important to me to make a movie that could stand on its own. So the good news is, you know, [laughs], it slots in very well to any plan anybody ever wants. We just need to let a couple years go by, I think." While the -script would no doubt need to be retooled to fit into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, it sounds like it could fit into Marvel and Sony's future plans if they're interested. For what's it's worth, Goddard - no doubt disappointed about not getting to make Sinister Six - is very much on board with Kevin Feige's plans for Spider-Man.

"The tricky part about all this is I love this plan. I love that you get to see Spider-Man in Marvel movies. I think that’s a great thing. I’m on board with that decision because as a fan that’s what I want. So who knows what the future holds? This is Hollywood, man, you’ve gotta play the long game."

lol

Poor Uncle Ben.

I never bought someone would ever have gotten the drop on Captain Willard from the last reboot. My 2c

Spider-Man reboot director Jon Watts talks Cop Car, Spidey, Comic Inspirations

Den of Geeks: Have you been looking at any comics in particular to help shape that? Because, when I heard that, Ultimate Spider-Man was the first thing that sprung to mind…

Jon Watts: Oh, I love that. Ultimate is great. I love Ultimate. We have the freedom to pull from anything, but I really like what [brian Michael] Bendis did. A lot. That felt like… that was Peter Parker back in high school. And, spending as much time with his high school problems as it did with his superhero problems, which I think is really a lot of fun.

There’s also some really funny comics stuff, like, the Archies. I don’t know if you’ve ever seen the Spider-Man Loves Mary-Jane series, but they have this really great anime-style illustration, and it’s all just about Peter Parker’s relationships. It’s like the soap opera of Peter Parker in high school. Those are really funny, too.

I’m just sitting around reading comic books all day - it’s a pretty great job.

It's a good thing to reflect on the cinema errors of the past.

Topher Grace Reflects On The Negative Reception To Sam Raimi's SPIDER-MAN 3

Asked in a recent interview with The Hollywood Reporter how he feels about Sam Raimi's recent comments that the threequel didn't turn out the way he hoped, Topher Grace (who played Eddie Brock/Venom in the movie) replied: "I know the movie did well for Sony, but I also know a lot of people weren't happy with it. I think Sam is so talented. I remember one time I was on ninth unit. (Laughs.) Ninth unit? It's like he's running a small country."

That's clearly a reference to what a massive production Spider-Man 3 was, and Grace went on to compare the kind of criticism fired at it to this summer's Fantastic Four. "This summer, there was a movie like that where people are just slamming a big studio movie. I would love to see anyone who's slamming one of those movies try to fit in Sam Raimi's position. He was like the president of a small country — by the way, it had the gross national income of a small country, too. I have huge respect for him. I think, on a whole, he did such a fantastic job [on that trilogy]."

It's a good thing to reflect on the cinema errors of the past.

Topher Grace Reflects On The Negative Reception To Sam Raimi's SPIDER-MAN 3

Asked in a recent interview with The Hollywood Reporter how he feels about Sam Raimi's recent comments that the threequel didn't turn out the way he hoped, Topher Grace (who played Eddie Brock/Venom in the movie) replied: "I know the movie did well for Sony, but I also know a lot of people weren't happy with it. I think Sam is so talented. I remember one time I was on ninth unit. (Laughs.) Ninth unit? It's like he's running a small country."

That's clearly a reference to what a massive production Spider-Man 3 was, and Grace went on to compare the kind of criticism fired at it to this summer's Fantastic Four. "This summer, there was a movie like that where people are just slamming a big studio movie. I would love to see anyone who's slamming one of those movies try to fit in Sam Raimi's position. He was like the president of a small country — by the way, it had the gross national income of a small country, too. I have huge respect for him. I think, on a whole, he did such a fantastic job [on that trilogy]."

just admit it sucked and keep it moving.

SPIDER-MAN: Tom Holland Says It's "Difficult Not To Copy" Andrew Garfield’s "Perfect" Portrayal

“I haven't [met him], but I'm a huge fan of Andrew and he's said some lovely things about me in the press the other day,” Holland said of The Amazing Spider-Man star. “He did such a good job as Peter Parker and it's really difficult not to copy him because what he did was so perfect and obviously there are going to be things that I might steal but I hope we get to meet and even work together in the future.”

Beyond a vouch from his In the Heart of the Sea co-star and Thor leading man, Chris Hemsworth, Tom Holland says his Billy Elliot camp training helped him win over Marvel and Sony during the auditioning process. “I basically did a somersault into frame and a somersault out of frame and I was like, ‘They may never see this but if they do I need them to know that I’ve got some gymnastics abilities and stuff,” Holland explained. “And every tape I sent in I always did a little acrobatic demo to try and convince them to give me the role”

I always thought that Garfield was a pretty crappy Peter. He was too cool as Pete. Not enough shy, self-conscious nerd. I thought he was an AWESOME Spider-Man though. IMO, the issues have been that we've had 2 movies with a good Peter and 2 movies with a good Spider-Man. And none of them in the same movies. If Tom Holland could find a way to copy some of what Toby did as Peter in Spidey 1 & 2 and a lot of what Garfield did as Spider-Man in ASM 1 & 2, then I think they could finally get it right.

Did Robert Downey Jr. Let It Slip That Iron Man And Captain America Will Be In The Spider-Man Movie?

During an appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live on Monday night, Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Evans had an interesting exchange. After Evans had complained about how hot it was in Atlanta, Downey Jr. said, “By the way, we are going to shoot in Atlanta again, you and I.” Evans agreed, “I know, I’m ready, I’m ready.”

However, the most likely answer might have been provided by Tom Holland. While doing press for In the Heart of the Sea, Holland revealed that Spider-Man will primarily film in Atlanta. It’s already known that the Sony and Marvel deal which allows for Spider-Man to appear in Marvel Studios films, also allows for Marvel Studios characters to appear in Spider-Man films. With a lot riding on Sony’s second relaunch of the Spider-Man franchise, it would certainly make sense for them to bring in a couple heavy hitters like Captain America and Iron Man to appear.

:o

Did Robert Downey Jr. Let It Slip That Iron Man And Captain America Will Be In The Spider-Man Movie?

During an appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live on Monday night, Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Evans had an interesting exchange. After Evans had complained about how hot it was in Atlanta, Downey Jr. said, “By the way, we are going to shoot in Atlanta again, you and I.” Evans agreed, “I know, I’m ready, I’m ready.”

However, the most likely answer might have been provided by Tom Holland. While doing press for In the Heart of the Sea, Holland revealed that Spider-Man will primarily film in Atlanta. It’s already known that the Sony and Marvel deal which allows for Spider-Man to appear in Marvel Studios films, also allows for Marvel Studios characters to appear in Spider-Man films. With a lot riding on Sony’s second relaunch of the Spider-Man franchise, it would certainly make sense for them to bring in a couple heavy hitters like Captain America and Iron Man to appear.

:o

Who would have ever thought that Iron Man would be the heavy hitter in a Spider-man movie?

Who would have ever thought that Iron Man would be the heavy hitter in a Spider-man movie?

Who would have thought 15 years ago that Iron Man would be a heavy hitter at all? He was a 2nd tier character.

Who would have ever thought a washed-up, drug and alcohol-recovering actor would become one of the core actors carrying a $9 Billion superhero franchise that also made him one of the highest paid performers?

I was into comic books casually and I had no idea who he was until a friend told me about the first Iron Man movie back in 2008.

That is amazing!