• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hierarchy of the Top Golden Age Superhero Comics (2015 Edition)

142 posts in this topic

In past years, I've done hierarchy lists ranking "the top" Golden Age comic books. Naturally, lists of this nature are subjective and will vary depending on one's criteria. Are we talking historical significance, modern day relevance, scarcity, fair market value, coolness, story-telling, artwork, personal nostalgia, etc.? There are so many variables to consider with no real right or wrong answer. My criteria wasn't scientific, but I tried to consider elements from all the aforementioned areas.

Under each book listed, you will see a list of notable milestones contained in each issue. When drafting up my list, I tried to make a conscious effort to think about the books based on what they contained, regardless of the series or issue number. Those aspects were undoubtedly important, but for me, they came after.

Books that didn't make the cut...

Classic covers, unremarkable content: Action Comics #7, #10, #13 -- Detective Comics #29, #31, #35

I love all of these books but to make this Top-10, content of historical significance was extremely important. Action #7's story isn't one of the best of the early Siegel and Shuster run. Tec #31 is actually more than a cover-only book as it does contain the 1st app. of Julie Madison, the Monk, the Batarang and the Bat-Gyro, but in the end, those notables weren't on-par with the other three Tecs that made the list.

1st appearances of lesser superheros: All-American #16, Flash #1, More Fun #52, and Adventure #40

I was tempted to include All-American #16 and Flash #1 as they both featured 1st appearances of characters that, through one incarnation or another, went on to become prominent pieces of the modern day DC Universe. At the end of the day, a Top-10 is a short list, so some books had to be left out.

Leaving out All-Star Comics #8

This was probably the most difficult book to cut from the list. Had Wonder Woman made the front cover, had the significance of her debut not been relegated to a back-story, this one probably would have made the list.

The Top-10:

1. Action Comics #1

*1st app. of Superman

*1st app. of Lois Lane

*Origin of Superman

*Birth of the "superhero" genre

*Birth of the "DC Superhero Universe"

*Classic cover

What more can be said about this book? The superhero genre as we all know it today might not even exist had it not been for the success of Superman, and the countless others that followed, borrowing from his archetype. His precursors are many, but Superman was a breakthrough. So much of what we know today from his universe was found in Action #1: his meek and mild alter-ego Clark Kent, the strong, brash Lois Lane, Clark's arrival from another planet, his work as a newspaper reporter, the fight against social injustice -- there was a lot of substance to Superman's debut. Coming out of the Great Depression, the world of 1938 needed a hero. Siegel and Shuster gave them one that would endure for ages.

2. Detective Comics #27

*1st app. of Batman

*1st app. of Jim Gordon

*Classic cover

Batman's debut didn't posses the same power, intensity or emotional impact as Superman's. There was no origin to be found and we didn't learn who the Bat-Man really was until the story's final page. But with that said, we were introduced to, arguably, comics most beloved character. Wealthy socialite Bruce Wayne, James Gordon -- the very beginning of a dynamic that would evolve over the decades. Ripped from the cloth of the Shadow, Batman had mystique, detective skills and a striking appearances that would terrify his enemies. It was raw, very raw, but it all started here.

3. Batman #1

*1st app. of the Joker

*1st app. of the Catwoman

*First issue of Batman's solo title

*Final Pre-Robin Tec story

*Classic cover

Besides the obvious debut of comicdom's most infamous villain, Batman #1 marked a turning point in superhero comics. Early Superman's greatest challenges were often situational. How to fight social injustice: domestic violence, corrupt government officials, munition sales, drunk driving, unsafe working conditions, etc. But Superman was in control. Superman fought these situations head on, brought solution, elicited change and stood tall. Early Batman tackled mysteries, using his detective skills to solve crimes, even if they be orchestrated by villains as fit for a horror film as they were for a Sherlock Holmes-esque adventure.

The Joker was different: psychological, anarchical, driven. Batman was steps behind this new breed of adversary, a villain who took the lives of four people in the story's first eight pages. Where was Batman? Plotting, waiting for his moment? Just as Heath Ledger perfected in 2008's The Dark Knight, this tale was that of the villain. Where previous bad guys were propped up as plot devices for the hero to foil, for the first time, Batman became the plot device needed to end the Joker's story.

When your backstories include the final Pre-Robin Tec tale and the 1st app. of the Catwoman, you know the book is in rarified air.

4. Captain America Comics #1

*1st app. of Captain America

*1st app. of the Red Skull

*1st app. of Bucky Barnes

*Classic cover

The significance of Captain America extends far beyond the early Timely Universe. Simon and Kirby created a hero for a world that desperately needed one. As the Nazi's continued to conquer countries, impose unthinkable laws and worse, Captain America led the fight against a real world threat that history will never forget.

On a comic book level, Captain America became Timely's first truly breakthrough character. His origin story remains mostly unchanged, his sidekick Bucky Barnes (later to become the Winter Solider) was introduced and the two fought Timely's most infamous villain: the Red Skull. Kirby's cover epitomized the term "classic" -- leaving the image of Cap's debut permanently etched into the minds of comic collectors worldwide.

Strong arguments could be made to place Marvel Comics #1 ahead of this issue by virtue of it being the birth of the Marvel Universe, but that's something I'll touch on momentarily.

5. Marvel Comics #1

*Birth of the "Marvel Universe"

*1st app. of the Human Torch

*1st published app. of the Sub-Mariner

*Classic cover

The Marvel brand's success reaches far beyond the reach of it's flagship characters alone. For that reason, along with the fact that their No. 1 character (Spider-Man) didn't exist in the 1930's and 1940's -- Marvel Comics #1 ranks high. It was the birth of what would eventually become, arguably, the most beloved universe in all of fiction: the "Marvel Universe."

The concept of fire and water was unique and clearly -- Timely's heroes possessed a flavor all their own. Namor the Sub-Mariner was cooler than he's often thought to be, IMO anyway, and the cover of Marvel #1 is breathtaking. And while there's plenty to love about this issue, it lacks the most star-power of any book on this list.

Marvel #1 is in many respects, cherished for what came after more so than what it contains within. Because Marvel has reached unprecedented heights, it's beginning holds great value. But the cast featured in the book itself, in comparison to it's peers, pulls it below a select few others.

6. Superman #1

*First book dedicated to one superhero

*First issue of Superman's solo title

*Expanded origin of Superman

*1st app. of "Ma" and "Pa" Kent (Jonathan and Martha)

*Classic cover

Superman #1 is NOT just a collection of reprints. No doubt, it has more reprinted material than all of the other books on this list combined, but that doesn't mean we should look past the gold nuggets it contains within. The Man of Steel's expanded origin, the completion of Action #1's story and the introduction of Clark Kent's adoptive parents are all important. Superman was coming into his own and the significance of this being the first book devoted to a singular superhero character is a monumental milestone in the world of comics.

7. Detective Comics #33

*Origin of Batman

*1st app. of Thomas and Martha Wayne (Martha unnamed)

*1st app. of Joe Chill (unnamed)

When in the new series Gotham, David Mazouz dropped to his knees in terror at the sight of his slain patents -- the origin of the Batman, as originally told here in Tec #33, continued to live on. It is a story not only familiar, but it is perhaps, the most well known tale in the history of comics. Everyone knows why Batman became Batman. It started here, swipejob not withstanding.

8. Detective Comics #38

*1st app. of Robin

*Origin of Robin

*First superhero "sidekick" in comics

*Classic cover

While Robin-bashing may be popular amongst adult-aged comic collectors who find the Pre-Robin Batman to be too "cool" to be lightened up with the introduction of Robin -- history is worth revisiting. Not only were both Batman and Robin extremely violent during the Boy Wonder's earliest stories, but Batman himself had began to camp-up before Robin was introduced. One look at some of the artwork found in Tec #37 shows us that Batman already falling short of his "Avenger of Evil" status.

The introduction of the superhero sidekick was not only popular, but it gave superhero titles increased popularity, resulting in increased sales and possibly, greater longevity to survive through certain eras. Robin was arguably a Top-5 Golden Age superhero both in terms of recognizability and importance. This issue gave us his 1st appearence and origin.

9. Whiz Comics #2 (#1)

*1st app. of Captain Marvel (Billy Batson)

*Origin of Captain Marvel

*Birth of the "Fawcett Universe"

*Classic cover

There was a time during the 1940s when Captain Marvel Adventures was the best selling title in comics. Did the character borrow a little too much from Superman? Probably. But Fawcett was able to take a great concept, add a unique flavor to it and in some cases, surpass it. Captain Marvel was big-time and with a 2019 feature film on the horizon featuring Dwayne Johnson as Black Adam, there's a lot of potential for the big red cheese to shoot his way back into the limelight.

10. All-Star Comics #3

*1st app. of the Justice Society of America

*First superhero cross-cover in comics

*First meeting of National and All-American characters

*First superhero team in comics

*Birth of the "shared Universe" concept

*Classic cover

Where would the "DC Universe", the "Marvel Universe", be today without a sense of continuity? Although the development of the Justice Society came about, in part, to stimulate interest in less popular heroes, it laid the foundation for the invaluable concept of shared universe. Characters from both National and All-American Publications came together to form the first superhero "team" in comic book history. It was groundbreaking, it was cool and it splashed onto the scene with an unforgettable cover.

So there you have it. My list could change by the day depending on how much thought I give it.

I am interested to hear opinions from other collectors. :popcorn:

I'll leave it to others to provide insightful feedback.... :tonofbricks:

All I know is that Adv 40 would be in my top 10.

switch out all star 8 with tec 33 and you are onto something ;)

ww intro is historically more significant than batman's origin (both are short stories)....

the "cover" to as 8 is better than tec 33

the "value" of as8 is higher than tec 33

modern day relevance...check

scarcity....check...

etc, etc... I like the other choices...

Great list. Great arguments as well. My only 'gripe" is Whiz 2 (1) I would have to have AS 8 somewhere in there and I don't think I could leave AA 16 or Flash 1 off the list (one of those would have to be represented based on your criteria) Nice to see you old avatar back!

Great list. Great arguments as well. My only 'gripe" is Whiz 2 (1) I would have to have AS 8 somewhere in there and I don't think I could leave AA 16 or Flash 1 off the list (one of those would have to be represented based on your criteria) Nice to see you old avatar back!

Thanks Corey. :headbang:

Whiz #2 (#1) is the book I had the most reservations about.

Value-wise, it's ahead of Tec #33. But the origin of Batman is major. If I were to move AS #8 onto my list, I'd probably have to drop Whiz #2 before I'd drop Tec #33.

Value-wise, it's ahead of Tec #33. But the origin of Batman is major. If I were to move AS #8 onto my list, I'd probably have to drop Whiz #2 before I'd drop Tec #33.

Just cause you love Batman and Tec 33 doesn't negate the facts Gator listed above.

I agree with him 1000% Tec 33 isn't that big of a deal when you look at the other books on the list.

Many people would be amazing at how low you placed superman 1.

I think many people would agree with the over all list just argue all night over placement.

I love cap 1, I just don't know that is 4th based on your standards, honestly as much as i hate Superman 1 I would probably have that and marvel 1 just cap 1. Without Marvel 1 there is no cap 1....

I think mine would be

1. Action Comics #1

2. Detective Comics #27

3. Batman #1

4. Superman #1

5. Marvel Comics #1

6. Captain America Comics #1

7. Whiz Comics #2 (#1)

8. All Star 8

9. All-Star Comics #3

10. Flash Comics 1

Always fun to debate tho.

James G

I would do that, personally. Whiz #2 is the one to go. All Star #8 needs to be on the list and Batman's origin is the most iconic origin in comics.

I like your list too James.

As far as the "there wouldn't be a B if there wasn't an A" argument regarding Marvel #1 vs. Cap #1 -- the same could be said for FF #1 vs. AF #15. And for as popular as Spider-Man is, I could understand putting FF #1 ahead of AF #15, just as I can understand doing the same in this situation.

For me, it was a tough call. But too much real-world significance, along with the introduction of Timely's No. 1 GA character for me to put Marvel #1 ahead of it. That's not to overlook the unquestionable importance of Marvel #1, but it's cast does hold it back a little, for me anyway.

Regarding Tec #33, as Rob said, it is one of the most iconic in comic book history. I can see putting AS #8 ahead of it, for the reasons I previously mentioned. But for as much as I love Whiz #2 (and would take a Whiz #2 > Tec #33 as a collector), that would probably be the odd book out of my Top-10.

Captain Marvel one of the top two or three most important and popular superheroes of the Golden Age. Fawcett was second only to DC (and not always) in popularity during the GA (Timely was an also ran). And unlike almost all other non-DC superheroes, he lasted until 1954 and likely would have survived through the 1950s had DC not sued Fawcett.

Capt. Marvel was also the first superhero to fly out of the comics and into film with his 1941 serial. He was the first to fly on the big screen. For context, his adventures predated the Superman cartoon by six months. Capt. Marvel had massive popularity.

In short, his pop culture significance, in the GA, dwarfs pretty much everyone but Superman (and maybe Batman).

IMHO, anyone who rates Whiz 2(1) behind D38 (and I really really like Grayson/Robin, but he's not even a character anymore), CA 1 (whose pop culture significance in the GA is grossly overstated by the OP, I think), and other books on that list is really just making a list of the "flavor of the month" not a list that takes into account the full history of comics.

If that's the point of this list, than fine. Toss out WW and the JSA as well, because they are way overrated from today's "hot book" vantage point and substitute back in a bunch of Batman books and Action 7.

For fun, let’s try this list a different way - if I take the books you listed, and let price per point be the deciding factor, I think you get:

Action 1

Tec 27

Captain America 1

Superman 1

Batman 1

Marvel Comics 1

Action Comics 7

Tec 31

All Star 8

Tec 38, Whiz 2 (1) (tie)

Captain Marvel one of the top two or three most important and popular superheroes of the Golden Age. Fawcett was second only to DC (and not always) in popularity during the GA (Timely was an also ran). And unlike almost all other non-DC superheroes, he lasted until 1954 and likely would have survived through the 1950s had DC not sued Fawcett.

Capt. Marvel was also the first superhero to fly out of the comics and into film with his 1941 serial. He was the first to fly on the big screen. For context, his adventures predated the Superman cartoon by six months. Capt. Marvel had massive popularity.

In short, his pop culture significance, in the GA, dwarfs pretty much everyone but Superman (and maybe Batman).

IMHO, anyone who rates Whiz 2(1) behind D38 (and I really really like Grayson/Robin, but he's not even a character anymore), CA 1 (whose pop culture significance in the GA is grossly overstated by the OP, I think), and other books on that list is really just making a list of the "flavor of the month" not a list that takes into account the full history of comics.

If that's the point of this list, than fine. Toss out WW and the JSA as well, because they are way overrated from today's "hot book" vantage point and substitute back in a bunch of Batman books and Action 7.

The impact of Captain Marvel during the GA is not lost on me.

I'm the same guy that created this thread, and I've rarely seen others delve into the Fawcett Universe to that extent here on the boards.

During the Golden Age, Captain Marvel Adventures went on to become the era's best-selling comic book series (out-selling Action Comics, Detective Comics, Superman, Batman, Marvel Mystery Comics, Captain America Comics, you name it). In 1941, the character would star in motion picture Adventures of Captain Marvel; making him the very first comic book character to be adapted to film.

In my opinion, many of the things that once made the Fawcett Universe great are still worthy of our appreciation today. Seeing as some collectors still retain an interest and appreciation for non-hero DC's, Fiction House, and Centaur's, why not re-visit the beauty of the Fawcett Universe? (shrug)

Some collectors are up to snuff with the basics: Whiz Comics #2 (#1), Captain Marvel Adventures #1, and Mac Raboy covers; but what of the history, the content, the rogues gallery, and hidden-gems found within?

But for me, popularity over a 10-15 year span is not the same as enduring over a 75-year span. It's important, it's historically significant and you couldn't tell the history of superhero comics without it -- I just feel the significance of Robin across many more decades and the introduction of the superhero sidekick to be enough to warrant a placement one notch higher.

Wayne-Tec....interesting topic. I totally disagree with your list though lol. And I'm sure many are going to disagree with me. The only thing I'm interested in is first appearances of major characters. Maybe it's because I come from a background in baseball cards and coins....where the only thing that matters is getting the earliest possible appearance of the player. How he's posed in the picture doesn't matter (or how Lady Liberty is posed). It doesn't matter who the photographer was. It doesn't matter if there's an interesting trivia question on the reverse. The art on the coin doesn't matter. None of that extra stuff matters. Maybe that's why I'm not interested in anything other than first appearances. And I certainly don't downgrade a first appearance because it occurs inside and not on the cover. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE comics....but I don't display them....and I think the CGC label is cool and interesting enough to make-up for the fact that I can't actually see the first appearance. I know it's there if I was to break the case.

Here's my list:

1) Action Comics #1

obvious

2) Detective Comics #27

obvious

3) Flash & Thrill Comics #1 ashcan

11 (or possibly 12) total copies in existence total between the both of them. As compared to hundreds of copies of Action 1, Tech 27, and all the rest. First appearance of Captain Marvel.

4) All-American Comics #16

A little more rare than Flash 1.

5) Flash Comics #1

DC ruled the Golden Age. And the Flash is probably the leading Justice Society/League member after Superman and Batman.

6) Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1

8 copies exist. First appearance of Submariner.

7) Captain America Comics #1

Best Golden Age Marvel character.

8) More Fun Comics #73

Wonder Woman and AS8 probably deserve this spot....but she is a woman. Maybe it's because I'm a guy, but I'd rather have a comic with both Aquaman and Green Arrow in it. Aquaman is a strange case. He hasn't dominated in the comics until very recently....but he's been super-famous since the 60's due to television. And he's rated by DC in their Top-6. Combine that with Green Arrow, and it's enough for this ranking. There are simply no other Golden Age characters remaining from this list that can beat both Aquaman and Green Arrow. If you disagree, name them please.

9) Batman #1

The Joker is the top villain ever. Catwoman is a bonus. First Batman title is a bonus. Adding these 3 elements together gets it this ranking.

10) Marvel Comics #1

First Human Torch. First Marvel comic.

11) is All-Star Comics #8. 12) is Superman #1.

Also honorable mention to every first appearance of Justice Society members. Also Plastic Man. I might mention a few others later in this thread, like Blue Beetle, Daredevil, etc....or anyone I forgot.

Wayne-Tec....interesting topic. I totally disagree with your list though lol. And I'm sure many are going to disagree with me. The only thing I'm interested in is first appearances of major characters. Maybe it's because I come from a background in baseball cards and coins....where the only thing that matters is getting the earliest possible appearance of the player. How he's posed in the picture doesn't matter (or how Lady Liberty is posed). It doesn't matter who the photographer was. It doesn't matter if there's an interesting trivia question on the reverse. The art on the coin doesn't matter. None of that extra stuff matters. Maybe that's why I'm not interested in anything other than first appearances. And I certainly don't downgrade a first appearance because it occurs inside and not on the cover. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE comics....but I don't display them....and I think the CGC label is cool and interesting enough to make-up for the fact that I can't actually see the first appearance. I know it's there if I was to break the case.

Here's my list:

1) Action Comics #1

obvious

2) Detective Comics #27

obvious

3) Flash & Thrill Comics #1 ashcan

11 (or possibly 12) total copies in existence total between the both of them. As compared to hundreds of copies of Action 1, Tech 27, and all the rest. First appearance of Captain Marvel.

4) All-American Comics #16

A little more rare than Flash 1.

5) Flash Comics #1

DC ruled the Golden Age. And the Flash is probably the leading Justice Society/League member after Superman and Batman.

6) Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1

8 copies exist. First appearance of Submariner.

7) Captain America Comics #1

Best Golden Age Marvel character.

8) More Fun Comics #73

Wonder Woman and AS8 probably deserve this spot....but she is a woman. Maybe it's because I'm a guy, but I'd rather have a comic with both Aquaman and Green Arrow in it. Aquaman is a strange case. He hasn't dominated in the comics until very recently....but he's been super-famous since the 60's due to television. And he's rated by DC in their Top-6. Combine that with Green Arrow, and it's enough for this ranking. There are simply no other Golden Age characters remaining from this list that can beat both Aquaman and Green Arrow. If you disagree, name them please.

9) Batman #1

The Joker is the top villain ever. Catwoman is a bonus. First Batman title is a bonus. Adding these 3 elements together gets it this ranking.

10) Marvel Comics #1

First Human Torch. First Marvel comic.

11) is All-Star Comics #8. 12) is Superman #1.

Also honorable mention to every first appearance of Justice Society members. Also Plastic Man. I might mention a few others later in this thread, like Blue Beetle, Daredevil, etc....or anyone I forgot.

I thought the Flash ashcan was the 1st app of Captain Thunder (shrug) no seriously that is a sweet Ashcan good luck in the auction my friend I hope it fetchea top dollar!! (thumbs u