• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LUKE CAGE on Netflix
2 2

383 posts in this topic

Sweet Christmas! Mike Colter Says LUKE CAGE Is Geared Towards An "Adult Audience"

-------------------

"It's geared towards an adult audience, which is something that will be different from the Marvel Cinematic Universe that you've seen before on the big screen. I'm excited about playing the character because I've read the comic books. They're very detailed, gritty; the world they've written in the comic books is very clear. Marvel does a fantastic job about bringing human stories – because you're telling big stories with a heart at the centre of it – and that's what connects all of the characters to our audience members. Audience members have to feel connected with these characters, to make them relate to the character's situations and that's what you see with all of the Marvel characters."

-------------------

However, Colter did have this to say about both his excitement to play the character and how the adaptation is being handled. "What I’m most excited about is touching on what makes him tick. It feels good to get a character that has such a story, background, and history. And when I look at the scripts, I’m really pleased with it because it’s a slow-burn; there’s nothing happening really fast that gets ahead of itself. I’m really with where they’re taking it and how they’re developing the characters, because it’s really cool."

-------------------

Luke_Cage_Mike_Colter.jpg

Mike Colter On How LUKE CAGE Operates In JESSICA JONES

-----------------

"Marvel actually gives you a special training class in how not to say too much in interviews [laughs]. We’re in the middle of shooting AKA Jessica Jones and Luke Cage is a very interesting character who just happens to have super strength and unbreakable skin. He’s a neighborhood hero, very much linked to New York and Jessica Jones. It’s all part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe but Luke Cage is a darker, grittier, more tangible character than Iron Man or Thor. He likes to keep things close to his chest, operate on the hush-hush. He has these abilities but he’s not sure how and when to use them. He’s a very nuanced character."

-----------------

Marvel Announce Showrunner And 2016 Premiere For LUKE CAGE

Netflix & Marvel Television announced today that Cheo Hodari Coker will serve as executive producer and showrunner of the anticipated series, Marvel’s Luke Cage. Coker is writing the first two episodes of the series that will premiere in 2016, everywhere that Netflix is available.

Most recently, Coker served as a co-executive producer on the second season of Ray Donovan, and prior to that was a supervising producer on the critically-acclaimed, fourth season of the drama SouthLAnd. Coker was a part of the SouthLAnd team that earned the show a 2012 Peabody Award. Coker also garnered a 2013 NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Writing for a Dramatic Series for his work on that show. Coker’s feature film credits include Fox Searchlight’s rap biopic Notorious. He authored the book Unbelievable: The Life, Death, and Afterlife of The Notorious B.I.G as well. Coker started his writing career in journalism and was a staff writer at the Los Angeles Times and contributed to VIBE, Rolling Stone, Essence, among other publications. He is a graduate of Stanford University.

Sounds great! I have never read any Luke Cage or Hero's for hire. Only thing I have ever read with him are a few of his guest appearances in the 70's and The New Avengers.

What are some good/mandatory Luke Cage comics to find and read. Prefereably collected in TPB or reprint collections?

Mike Colter Excited For Luke Cage

Colter recently spoke with Total Film magazine where he offered up his excitement for the role.

"I never thought I'd do much action stuff," Colter said. "It's as close to being a black Superman as you can be!"

Colter will also appear in the Avengers-style team up, The Defenders, which follows Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist.

"This whole Journey now with what's going on with Luke Cage, it's very unique," Colter said. "It's completely different to the Halo project or other things I've done, and it's very character-driven and very dark and edgy, so I'm excited about it to see where that's going."

'Imagine grenades going off around you': Halo's Mike Colter on acting for games and being a Marvel hero

"There will be action in it but these characters are trying to live normal lives, unlike some of the other characters in the Marvel cinematic universe. Those [Marvel movie characters] are first and foremost superheroes that are on a large platform. They've saved the world. But these [Netflix TV show] characters are really trying to focus on their neighbourhood and New York City. It's a smaller story we're trying to tell."

They may be smaller in scale, but the long-form TV format gives the stories more breathing room than the movies. "There's not a lot revealed right away," says Colter of his experience so far. "It takes time and they peel back layer after layer and episode-by-episode. It's a slow burn, I like that approach."

I expect that Marvel is going with a 70's-film-genres theme for the Netflix series. DD was the crime drama, AKAJJ will be the hardboiled detective story, Luke Cage will be an urban-modernized-blaxploitation series & Iron Fist will be the maybe-slightly-mystical kung fu story.

Possible Production Dates Revealed for Marvel/Netflix's LUKE CAGE

SpoilerTV has just released the production schedule for the 2015-2016 year. One of the shows to have their production dates revealed is Marvel's Luke Cage. Note that while this might not be 100% accurate, it is still nice to have a sense of when the show will start production. Accoridng to the site, Luke Cage is to begin production on August 18th, 2015, and finish production on March 11th, 2016.

Marvel's Luke Cage casts Alfre Woodard in a key role

Deadline has learned that Alfre Woodard is finalizing a deal to star in Marvel's Luke Cage opposite Mike Colter. According to the character breakdown, Woodard will play Minetta, "a powerful woman in local politics who will have an impact on Luke Cage's life," however Deadline hears that she may actually be playing a version of the comic villain Black Mariah, a professional criminal and drug dealer who has been a foe to Luke Cage as well as Iron Fist.

That last tidbit might be noteworthy as Iron Fist will be the lead character of Marvel's fourth and final show with Netflix. We might be seeing a lot more crossovers as Daredevil, A.K.A. Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist move forward. This news hasn't been confirmed but it does give us a little to chew on as we wait for Marvel's Luke Cage to debut on Netflix sometime in 2016.

alfre-woodard-luke-cage.jpg

Rumored Synopsis For Marvel's LUKE CAGE Series Reveals The Main Villain And Love Interest

According to the following story breakdown that is "subject to change," the 13-episode Luke Cage series will see Willis Stryker aka Diamondback as the Power Man's main antagonist even though Academy Award-nominated actress Alfre Woodard was recently cast as a lead villain, Minetta. And despite Cage first appearing in Jessica Jones with the very titular superheroine that he's married to the comics, the love interest in his standalone series will be Reva Connors.

Marvel's Luke Cage Production Title Is Tiara

Marvel's Luke Cage has an official production name, and Sweet Christmas, it's a fun reference. The show, the third from the Netflix and Marvel TV partnership, will be filmed under the production name "Tiara." Production Weekly revealed the name, alongside other productions like Fox's Marvel movie Gambit (under the name Chess). The Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. spin-off Marvel's Most Wanted is also on the list as being under production.

That, of course, is a reference to the classic look of Luke "Power Man" Cage, which featured what's commonly called a Tiara, though some would argue it's just a metal headband (since it's not worn on the crown of the head). The character's 70s look largely stayed in the past, as his modern look is typically headband-less, and usually shirtless, too. Daredevil, the first of the Netflix-Marvel connection, was filmed under the codename "Bluff" as in, "Blind Man's."

Theo Rossi, Rosario Dawson Join Luke Cage Cast

The Luke Cage cast is filling out while filming is underway on the first season of the series, the third of the Marvel Studios and Netflix collaborations. According to a report by Deadline, Theo Rossi has been cast as a villain on the series, while Rosario Dawson will reprise her role as Claire Temple. She played the character in season one of Daredevil, and also appeared in Jessica Jones, the second series (that has yet to air).

Mike Colter stars on the series as the titular Luke Cage, and will also first appear on Jessica Jones. In the Marvel Comics the TV shows are based on, Cage has been romantically linked to both Jones and Temple.

Deadline reports that Rossi will play "Shades" Alvarez, though it's unconfirmed at the moment. More importantly than being a former villain of Luke's, Shades is the father of Victor Alvarez, who in the comic books becomes the second "Power Man," training under Luke's off and on partner in crimefighting, Iron Fist.