• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collecting full runs.
1 1

91 posts in this topic

It's a terrible compulsion, being a run collector. I bought the first Rocketeer, I finished Starslayer. I bought the first Crow, I'm working on the rest of Caliber Presents. Avengers, TOS, Cap, JIM, Thor, FF, Flash, Aquaman, Phantom Stranger, Captain Marvel Adventures... I'm actively chipping away at all of those. I may never get the mega-keys to finish the runs, but the hunt is where the fun is.

I'm trying to collect a full run of silver age top ten keys.

I don't think we're talking about the same thing...

I had a buddy get frustrated with collecting runs... he loved FF but knew he could never afford the early issues... so he came up with an idea to pick a date and collect every issue that came out with a specific month from a specific year.

He chose to pick the month he started collecting which was books cover dated September 1982.

Last time I talked to him, he was still trying to find some of the Charltons that came out at that time.

Collector's mentality I suppose... but it does seem like a fun idea to try to attempt ;)

xxx ooo

Rupp

I realized that I'd never compete a run of some of my favorite DC titles that go back into the Golden Age, so I've set the goal of a complete run of a title published during my lifetime (April 1962). I recently got the last Action I needed - thanks, Chip! - so now I have complete 4/62-present runs of Action, Flash, Jimmy Olsen, Superboy, Superman, and World's Finest.

I like this idea - I've been slowly trying to pick up a copy of everything published during the month I was born, but this gives me something to shoot for if I ever finish my birth month set.

I had a buddy get frustrated with collecting runs... he loved FF but knew he could never afford the early issues... so he came up with an idea to pick a date and collect every issue that came out with a specific month from a specific year.

He chose to pick the month he started collecting which was books cover dated September 1982.

Last time I talked to him, he was still trying to find some of the Charltons that came out at that time.

Collector's mentality I suppose... but it does seem like a fun idea to try to attempt ;)

xxx ooo

Rupp

I realized that I'd never compete a run of some of my favorite DC titles that go back into the Golden Age, so I've set the goal of a complete run of a title published during my lifetime (April 1962). I recently got the last Action I needed - thanks, Chip! - so now I have complete 4/62-present runs of Action, Flash, Jimmy Olsen, Superboy, Superman, and World's Finest.

I like this idea - I've been slowly trying to pick up a copy of everything published during the month I was born, but this gives me something to shoot for if I ever finish my birth month set.

Not a bad set to look for. What month would that be? And you are going by cover dates?

I think comic fans will always collect runs. I'm currently downsizing my collection to focus on finishing my Uncanny X-Men run.

What issues?

I have found that it is futile to focus on anything except 1 or 2 main titles.

I finished my ASM run last year (besides #1). Now there is a sense of emptiness. It was fun acquiring each one for the run. I suppose there is always upgrading, but it isn't as exciting as acquiring an issue for the first time.

I only collect 4 different runs and they are all pretty much complete like this. I might move more into collecting OA.

xxx ooo

Rupp

Not a bad set to look for. What month would that be? And you are going by cover dates?

Dec of 77. Decided to go by cover dates, even though I know those weren't necessarily the ones on the stands that month.

Yes, but I only go up to certain numbers. Like ASM #700, Avengers #402, and X-Men #544. Then I ran out of shelf space.

+1 on only going up so high on runs, especially if the title has jumped the shark.

I'm working on a high grade Sugar and Spike, my heirs will have to continue it for me when I'm gone

You should put something in the will like "You can sell everything AFTER you finish my Sugar and Spike run."

I would like to poke another question into this conversation. As you collect your runs, will any copy do or does it need to be a certain grade?

When I was filling my run of MAD I took any copy if it was older than 1970 but the newer ones needed to be in real nice condition VF or better or dirt cheap in lower conditions.

I would like to poke another question into this conversation. As you collect your runs, will any copy do or does it need to be a certain grade?

I don't collect anything particularly rare, so for me, it's one and done, I don't want to have to buy another copy. I'm fussy, the book has to be rock solid on the staples, (preferably off-center slightly to the back so there are no tears), no rust, minimal water or foxing, and have a certain eye appeal, or I''ll pass it up. Robert/Crassus buys books in exactly the same shape I want, but seemingly logs on 20 minutes before I finish work every day! :pullhair:

Buying a specific grade has burned me many times in the past. I've been working on a run, and the D-list key is suddenly a hot ticket. Why didn't I buy one before? I didn't find a copy I liked.

When I was filling my run of MAD I took any copy if it was older than 1970 but the newer ones needed to be in real nice condition VF or better or dirt cheap in lower conditions.

Series runs are fun. I do like to complete runs. I have been putting together GIJoe series for the last year or 2. I probably have the last 6 series runs for the title.(1-155,1-28 etc...) I go for first prints and although I am not a condition hound I believe the variants will rot a person brain. So that's where I draw the line. :sumo:

My other series run of which to speak is Uncanny X-men 200-400. I have every issue plus a few stragglers on either end. I suppose I could include my Jim Lee X-Men with issues 1-22.

I guess one day I will get back to filling in more X-Men on either end, maybe 50 issue runs 10 books at time or so. Although it gets very expensive the further back I go, so I am not sure where I would stop.

Once I get a run it's part of the concrete and I never let it go.

Still working on closing out some complete runs that I've been working on for many years. But, not starting to go after any other full runs. More focused, if you can call it that, on issues from titles that I like. But my focus does tend to drift..........

Because a lot of GA and Atom Age books were anthologies, I am more of a character run collector than a run collector per se. Let's say American Eagle appeared in only 30 issues of Prize Western Comics, I will only go after those issues. With that in mind, I am very much a character run collector :)

Not me. I was going to complete certain sections of comic series. Amazing Spider-Man #1 - #300 or so. But then I would get into the conditions how much will I go back and read them. Besides I have the Amazing Spider-Man covers book. So I settled for getting the covers and stories that I like that I'm missing. If it's something good I'll have a reading copy and a high grade copy for display. Or if it's a long series I'll get the hardcover.

Sometime last year I discovered the original run of ASM i had as a child (about 50 or so issues) that my mother had burned and went, "hey, that's a good price, sure, what the hell." A short time later, after they arrived, I was like "OH DAMN, I NEED THEM ALL" Now, a year later, I have issues 100-current with nearly all the variants. My bank account hates me but 15 year old me is jumping up and down everyday. :D