• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valiant first appearances (quick version for beginners) Now with pictures!
2 2

1,097 posts in this topic

Rai #3 --- in my experience, most copies are miscut at the top, with no blue showing above the RAI logo.

I've always considered the "well-centered" cover more desirable, because it looks more like Rai #1-#5 at the top.

Well-centered copies aren't as common as the miscut.

rai3top.jpg

GACK!

2002 FLASHBACKS!!!!

Next thing you know, someone will flash back to 1992. :kidaround:

Whoops... too late... :ohnoez:

Wizard_16_9.jpg

Wizard_16_10.jpg

Now this brings back memories!!! What was this in Wizard? I want to see some more top ten lists with Valiant books. Folks share pretty please :foryou:

Now this brings back memories!!! What was this in Wizard? I want to see some more top ten lists with Valiant books. Folks share pretty please :foryou:

Wizard #16 - December 1992

Funny how #6 ASM #361 is also on fire lately. lol

Same issue of Wizard:

Wizard_16_3.jpg

I thought this was interesting... the final pre-Unity Valiant book was Archer & Armstrong #0.

It is known for having a "higher print run" than the other pre-Unity books.

Check out where it falls in the print runs of the day...

Wizard_10_8.jpg

#64 in the Top 100, just below What If? #38

Other Valiant books that month didn't even make the Top 100... lower print than Justice League Quarterly #7 and L.E.G.I.O.N. '92 #40. lol

So... the last pre-Unity book with the highest print run was #64 on the Top 100... all other Valiant issues were below the Top 100 that month.

The very next month... the first set of Unity books had all 9 in the Top 100... with 3 books in the Top 50.

Wizard_11_7.jpg

Valiant shot to #3 on publishers in the Top 100... basically overnight.

And... for collectors... the idea of "Pre-Unity Valiant" was born.

MOAR Wizard list! Please :grin:

+1 Yes please

Love see the order list two. So funny reading some of the books on there. A&A barely beat out Sleepwalker 13....really sleepwalker 13 :makepoint:

Interesting to see Iron Man 282 so low on the print run list, considering it is an actual important book compared to almost everything else on the list that month.

I noticed that too. Makes me want to hang on to mine now.

I recently found all of my old Wizards (the ones I kept anyway).

I know some people hate it for they "contributed" to the downfall of 90's comics, but man, I have nothing but fond memories...

It would go to the top of my read pile every month.

So... the last pre-Unity book with the highest print run was #64 on the Top 100... all other Valiant issues were below the Top 100 that month.

The very next month... the first set of Unity books had all 9 in the Top 100... with 3 books in the Top 50.

Wizard_11_7.jpg

Valiant shot to #3 on publishers in the Top 100... basically overnight.

And... for collectors... the idea of "Pre-Unity Valiant" was born.

The funniest part of this page is the May 1991 list - X-Force #2 was the top book. Buying books now based on 20+ year old Wizard lists might not be a bad idea....... lol

And IG #1!

Last fall one of the LCS owners broke out a case of IG #1s for the local big show and I scooped up five for $5. He had another case that he pulled out and started piecemealing into short boxes of 90s spec books (there are some good books but a ton of bad) for $100 per short box. I asked him if he had more cases and he said he thought he had another one or two in the back. lol

Here's the month with Rai #0 --- which they had a typo and put Rai #30 at position #40.

So... to answer the question... how common is Rai #0?

Less common than Legends of the Dark Knight #38 and about the same as Guy Gardner #1.

Eternal Warrior #4 comes it at #96... just behind Justice League America #67.

Wizard_14_10.jpg

Valiant may have been part of the "problem" with the overprinted books of the 1990s... but this particular month, the top 20 comics are all Marvel and Image.