• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Value of Detective 1-26

17 posts in this topic

I think the real question is if they didnt have cool covers would they be worth as much? look at All American before GL for answer.

I love the pre Green Lantern All American comics....

:sorry:

I think the real question is if they didnt have cool covers would they be worth as much? look at All American before GL for answer.

They'd be cheaper, sure, but they'd still have a couple of important things going for them:

1) It'd still be a superhero title by 1940, almost certainly. So it'd be remembered as an important title.

2) "Detective" is the operative concept here... it's still a harder-edged title than almost anything on the stands (a couple noteworthy peers, of course) during its pre-Batman run. The title goes a long ways towards requiring the kind of covers it has. Even New Adventure / Adventure largely had a humorous-cover slant until pretty late in the game (1939ish, though there are exceptions).

They'd be cheaper, sure, but they'd still have a couple of important things going for them:

1) It'd still be a superhero title by 1940, almost certainly. So it'd be remembered as an important title.

2) "Detective" is the operative concept here... it's still a harder-edged title than almost anything on the stands (a couple noteworthy peers, of course) during its pre-Batman run. The title goes a long ways towards requiring the kind of covers it has. Even New Adventure / Adventure largely had a humorous-cover slant until pretty late in the game (1939ish, though there are exceptions).

I would agree with what you said, very insightful. Just sayin we are a cover driven hobby (it plays heavy influence on price in many cases). And Pre Bat Tec covers are freakin awesome!

Pons

I dont dislike AllAmerican, just example of price and demand vs Tech that i believe is driven by Flessel Greatness (one the GA Kings). :foryou:

Just sayin we are a cover driven hobby (it plays heavy influence on price in many cases). And Pre Bat Tec covers are freakin awesome!

Yep, absolutely they are (and we are).

A fun way to look at it, fwiw. Start here and page forward month by month:

http://www.dcindexes.com/features/timemachine.php?site=&year=1937&month=3&sort=alpha&type=cover&checklist=off

Tec still stands out among the rest, even before Batman.

I would agree with what you said, very insightful. Just sayin we are a cover driven hobby (it plays heavy influence on price in many cases). And Pre Bat Tec covers are freakin awesome!

Pons

I dont dislike AllAmerican, just example of price and demand vs Tech that i believe is driven by Flessel Greatness (one the GA Kings). :foryou:

allamerican8.jpg

allamerican11.jpg

Pons

allamerican8.jpg

allamerican11.jpg

How much for this "store stock" ? :grin:

Pons

allamerican8.jpg

allamerican11.jpg

Great books.

O/T, but the bare-chested hero was not something that caught on (except maybe Sub-Mariner, if you want to count him as a hero). I wonder if anyone has ever written about that?

O/T, but the bare-chested hero was not something that caught on (except maybe Sub-Mariner, if you want to count him as a hero). I wonder if anyone has ever written about that?

There is a TON of undiscovered country to be researched about how the visual of this stuff developed.

"Physical Culture" started gaining traction as a widespread phenomenon around the turn of the century.

physical_culture_190202.jpg