• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

getting a pgx book regraded cgc-->should i?

87 posts in this topic

i recently got a fantastic four 48 pgx graded 9.0 with white pages. I really really want to get this pressed by joey and regraded with cgc. However, i'm scared.

I know this is a cgc forum and people here tend to bash pgx. but from what i have read on the internet people say the 2 companies grade pretty consistently.

I'm thinking whats the worse that can happen? it come back 1 whole grade before? at an 8.0?

what do you guys think?

do you guys have any similar experiences you can share.

my goal is to maximize the value for this comic. In that sense a 9.0 or 8.5 would be able to fetch me more money selling than a pgx graded comic.

any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated,

Its Up to you. I am CGC but the cases for CBCS are better. PGX hurt themselves with some issues with integrity so the Scarlett Letters in the Graded World are PGX... Joey is a Great Presser But I CRINGE still. I used this other guy once...didn't work out so well.

11k85d2.jpg

Most all here frown on PGX. With good reason. A CGC book in the same grade will always be worth more money. I would send it to Joey. As far as CGC and PGX grading the same, that is bull. A PGX book may have undisclosed resto, pieces missing, ect...

i recently got a fantastic four 48 pgx graded 9.0 with white pages. I really really want to get this pressed by joey and regraded with cgc. However, i'm scared.

I know this is a cgc forum and people here tend to bash pgx. but from what i have read on the internet people say the 2 companies grade pretty consistently.

I'm thinking whats the worse that can happen? it come back 1 whole grade before? at an 8.0?

what do you guys think?

my goal is to maximize the value for this comic. In that sense a 9.0 or 8.5 would be able to fetch me more money selling than a pgx graded comic.

Most all here frown on PGX. With good reason. A CGC book in the same grade will always be worth more money. I would send it to Joey. As far as CGC and PGX grading the same, that is bull. A PGX book may have undisclosed resto, pieces missing, ect...

And this is the main issue. Not that it comes back a lower grade, but that it comes back restored.

EDIT: That said if you are ever looking to sell it it would definitely reach a higher price in a CGC case than a PGX case.

+1 go over that thing with a loop to see if you can detect any resto. Also, put scans up in the PMG forum (without the PGX label) and see if the community thinks it could get an upgrade.

The higher the dollar amount on a PGX the greater the risk that it has resto if submitted to CGC for grading. A 9.0 FF 48 would be a high risk book. The reason they sell below the value of CGC is because they are not consistent with there grades and resto checks.

I got a GS Cap Marvel PGX 9.8 dirt cheap a while back. The highest CGC grade I can see it getting is a 9.4. I will eventually send it to joey and find out

well this book was graded dec 2014. so i figure that all the restoration stuff that happened before should have been fixed by now.

to me the book doesnt look 9.0. if you did restoration, i would think they would have done a way better job. to me it looks like a 8.0 But what the hell do i know? i usually buy modern comics and a 9.0 looks way way better.

in any event they are still suppose to be a professional grading company.

how off can they be?

i understand that PGX and GCG both kinda cut a book some slack when its like that old.

I mean a book that is a modern is judged much more harshly than silver age book.

well this book was graded dec 2014. so i figure that all the restoration stuff that happened before should have been fixed by now.

to me the book doesnt look 9.0. if you did restoration, i would think they would have done a way better job. to me it looks like a 8.0 But what the hell do i know? i usually buy modern comics and a 9.0 looks way way better.

how off can they be?

i understand that PGX and GCG both kinda cut a book some slack when its like that old.

I mean a book that is a modern is judged much more harshly than silver age book.

Sounds like you have made up your mind already. Send it in and let us know the end results :fear:

PGX typically overgrades the lower to mid grades vs.CGC so you will often times get up to a full grade lower with CGC on many GD to FN range books. Maybe 1/2 grade if you get really lucky. However, I think 8.0 to 9.0 they are a lot more in the same "ball park" (more often than not, but always exceptions that go both ways). You already heard the caveat. PGX does not suck at detecting restoration, I have sent them books that I knew were restored and they caught every one including one I did not know was restored! However, CGC is rock solid at restoration detection so 100% is way better than 98% detection when you have a high grade book and don't want to take a small risk.

I don't know why, but sometimes PGX does seem grade "some" books harshly in the 9.2 range/realm. I have 1 personal experience and have seen several from other people where they buy a high grade (9.0 to 9.2) PGX book for cheap/below guide and then got lucky with an increase at CGC for a 9.4/9.6. Even without the increase, you are much better off for resale in the CGC slab, heck sometimes even if it comes back 1/2 grade lower!

Good Luck, will like to see how you do in your experiment!

PGX typically overgrades the lower to mid grades vs.CGC so you will often times get up to a full grade lower with CGC on many GD to FN range books. Maybe 1/2 grade if you get really lucky. However, I think 8.0 to 9.0 they are a lot more in the same "ball park" (more often than not, but always exceptions that go both ways). You already heard the caveat. PGX does not suck at detecting restoration, I have sent them books that I knew were restored and they caught every one including one I did not know was restored! However, CGC is rock solid at restoration detection so 100% is way better than 98% detection when you have a high grade book and don't want to take a small risk.

I don't know why, but sometimes PGX does seem grade "some" books harshly in the 9.2 range/realm. I have 1 personal experience and have seen several from other people where they buy a high grade (9.0 to 9.2) PGX book for cheap/below guide and then got lucky with an increase at CGC for a 9.4/9.6. Even without the increase, you are much better off for resale in the CGC slab, heck sometimes even if it comes back 1/2 grade lower!

Good Luck, will like to see how you do in your experiment!

Perhaps consistent with this observation, in a small sample of lower grade books I've done straight resubs on, the grades have been the same or lower -- none was higher.

I had a 5.0 PGX book come back a CGC 4.0, and that was with a clean and press done by Matt Nelson.

Figure the grade will go down.

-J.

I recently submitted Tech 71 PGX 5.0 to CGC. Should be graded next week. After reading this post I'm a little nervous about resto... I guess I will know in a week.

how off can they be?

Crack out the book and post scans in the Grading Forum --- not only to help in an assessment of the grade but I am sure that many are interested in such comparisons. (thumbs u

I've always gotten higher grades, but those were books I submitted to PGA (pre pgx) and then sent directly to CGC when I realized how hack they were at PGX.

8.5's and 9.0's were correctly graded as 9.4's in many cases. None lower, all higher, but he was a hardazz on my books. I still have around 10 to do this with and I will post up grades when and if I finally do it. They are collection books, so no real rush.

The real risk is PGX's poor record of detecting restoration. I recently got burned by this. I bought a DD1 PGX knowing there was a tear sealed by glue. I sent the book to Hero Restoration who looked at it and saw right away what I missed: the book was trimmed. No professional grading company should miss trimming. I got the book relatively cheap and when all was said and done, I was able to minimize my losses pretty well. I had hoped, of course, to have the glue removed, press and clean it, maybe get a .5 bump in grade after submitting to CGC and then reselling it.

You're getting more than a grade from a certification company. You're getting their examination of the book, and PGX is notoriously weak in that area.

what do you guys think?

Your biggest risk with PGX is them missing restoration.

Then again, I have had a CGC blue come back CGC purple because they didn't detect it originally either.