• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did you know Simon and Kirby came up with the Vision in the Golden Age?

64 posts in this topic

2zqamb6.jpg

Yes, but it was from Stan's scripts.

Stan had nothing to do with the Vision...

hm ... I took the "Stan's scipts" post above as being a tongue-in-cheek, prodding reference to the ol' "Stan did Everyhing" / "Jack did Everything" debate which is a perennial favorite around these parts... (shrug)

I took the comment the same way.

Roy Thomas was the writer when the Vision was introduced in the Avengers. I don't think that Stan had (or has claimed) anything about creating him.

And as related to what I wrote: we owe a lot of the awesomeness to Thomas, without any doubt! (thumbs u

hm ... I took the "Stan's scipts" post above as being a tongue-in-cheek, prodding reference to the ol' "Stan did Everything" / "Jack did Everything" debate which is a perennial favorite around these parts... (shrug)

I wasn’t trying to get into that debate, just wanted to keep the record straight; I wasn't sure how that post was meant to be taken. I imagine there’s people out there who may not realize he started out as the office gopher.

Any sane method of attribution would credit the Vision to Joe Simon, Jack Kirby, Roy Thomas, and John Buscema...

I always thought the same should hold true with Carl Burgos and the Human Torch, not to mention the Fantastic Four.

hm ... I took the "Stan's scipts" post above as being a tongue-in-cheek, prodding reference to the ol' "Stan did Everything" / "Jack did Everything" debate which is a perennial favorite around these parts... (shrug)

I wasn’t trying to get into that debate, just wanted to keep the record straight; I wasn't sure how that post was meant to be taken. I imagine there’s people out there who may not realize he started out as the office gopher.

As opposed to what? Do you think that anyone believes he walked in and become editor in chief and the main writer ?

His wiki

http://www.comicvine.com/aarkus/4005-7261/

Aarkus was once the Golden Age villain-turned-hero called The Vision, whose people came to our reality to serve as midwives to beings born from Cosmic Cubes.

Origin

Aarkus and his people came to Earth-616 from another dimension to answer their true calling in life, which was to help Cosmic Cubes all over the Universe gain sentience. Aarkus was assigned to be the caretaker and a midwife of sorts to the Cosmic Cubes of Earth. Aarkus became distracted from his mission when World War II broke out, which he fought in as both a member of The Axis and The Allies. The golden age story tells of Aarkus (who was called the Vision before the Synthezoid who was created by Ultron who took the same name) being brought to earth by a scientist named Enoch Mason who found that smoke is the gateway to the supernatural world with his Dimensional Smasher. Mason called fourth Aarkus (and was later revealed to be the keeper of law in a place called Smoke world) Aarkus' first adventure found him defending Dr. Mason and his Daughter from Brains Borelli, a mobster who funded Enoch's experiments and wasn't paid back. It was stated that Aarkus could only be seen in his true form by a person who is about to die. but to activate his true form he also needs to be exposed to smoke.

Mayor Story Arcs

Corrupted by D'Spayre

Sometime later; Aarkus was assigned to protect a Cube, that unbeknownst to him, was being corrupted by Humanity's fear and despair. The Cube's corrupting powers began to have a dramatic effect on Aarkus and in the end he was overwhelmed by the demonic being called D'Spayre.

Return As Aarkus

When The Invaders were brought to the year 2008 by a Cosmic Cube, but apparently not the one that was corrupting Aarkus, Doctor Strange, The New Avengers, Paul Anselm and a few of The Invaders found Aarkus hiding with his Cube in an ancient sewer. With Echo‘s help, Doctor Strange took the Cosmic Cube from Aarkus; purified it and then used its power to banish D'Spayre from existence and by doing so restored Aarkus to his true form. He recently helped reunite the original members of the Invaders.

They annoyed me with this Cosmic Cube increasing banalizations.

When I read things like: «the Shaper of Worlds was in fact a cosmic cube» my bicycle chain drops…

Not that Thomas had been completely immune: why he had to show the "principle entities" in Dr. Strange in the 1990s is beyond me. :P

Androids with mechanical parts inside-that's what gets to me.

Created as a response to the android Red Tornado over at DC.

Using the alien and otherworldly appearance of the Golden Age Timely character works really well, whereas I've always thought the Red Tornado looks terrible.

2zqamb6.jpg

Stan had nothing to do with the Vision, a character created and written by Joe Simon and Jack Kirby. Stan was still a teenage office assistant when the Vision was introduced, and did not work on any comic writing or characters until months later, and was not working with Jack at that point in his career.

It was a joke :)