• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CBS All Access's STAR TREK: DISCOVERY Show
2 2

265 posts in this topic

Again, another solid episode!

And now with the timeline the Discovery has jumped back into within its own universe, the alliances forced on everyone due to the circumstances of the time. This show has definitely taken the Mirror Universe concept, and made it so much more than the ST: tOS.

So looking forward to next week.

Agreed, another great episode! This really is a high quality, high production-value series - I continue to enjoy this!

Spoiler

Will be very interesting to see how Terran Mirror-Universe "Captain Giorgiou" leads the attack on Kronos. I imagine there'll be quite a lot of moral ambiguity around how much damage to inflict - the Federation being desperate and having to fight for their lives, the Admiral realizing that there's likely no peaceful end to the war without destroying the Klingons, and now a more violent Giorgiou leading the attack. Really looking forward to the season finale next week!

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

That did feel like a rushed ending that could have been a two-hour super finale. Missed opportunity.

But that end scene...WOW!

My issue with the episode was the resolution was completely implausible.  Michael trusting the completely untrustworthy Klingon, who would never have blown up her home, and somehow she was persuasive and fast enough to get all the waring faction to withdraw from an attack that was starting any second.

Just the timeline is impossible, and the factions not following through impossible. The magic bomb McGuffin, just again was out of nowhere. Also, there is no way the federation would have backed down from a basically fullproof plan to win the war, because a traitor suddenly finds her humanity. Even the most principled people would pick a final solution over a very risky last minute change. Self preservation would override morality, especially when you are within days of being destroyed.  The other option is just too much of a hail mary.

I liked the second half of the season a lot.  This episode was just so disappointing. 

Man.... I thought I was the only one that didn’t like the last episode. The battle in the Terran empire was better than this episode. And agreed, they should have done a two hour episode on the season finale. 

Spoiler

I did like the last 5 minutes of the episode, where they showed the Enterprise side-by-side with Discovery. Plus when the credits started, they were playing the ending song of ST:Original. 

Was that Enterprise, the Original OR the Kelvin-timeline Enterprise ??

I don’t think, in the second season, we’ll see the Enterprise. We have to remember, when ST:Discovery was made, the cast and crew wasn’t sure they’ll be this popular, much less to get a second season, heck it took a good two years for all the right pieces to fall into place for us to see Discovery. I think the last 5 minutes was the cast and crew’s way of paying homage to the original......

5 minutes ago, combiner1 said:

I think the last 5 minutes was the cast and crew’s way of paying homage to the original......

Bingo! I watched the after show, and the producer said this was their surprise nod to the original series for laying all the groundwork.

18 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Final episode a bit of a let down in energy compared to the battles in episode 14, as Federation ethics came to the forefront. Nice last minute prelude to season 2 Star Trek: Discovery with the introduction of Capt. ....

I think thats the whole point of this episode. On the first episode, Federation ethnic was the main topic, logic dictates that the last episode should also be about Federation ethnic......:devil:

what happened to that conversation between Michael and Sarek (before the mission). Where Micheal mentioned that she felt that there goodbye is the last goodbye..... I thought, Sarek might be on a suicide mission for a minute......

Star Trek: Discovery's Alex Kurtzman breaks down shocking reveal in finale

star-trek-discovery-enterprise-913.jpg

With the Klingon war now concluded, the U.S.S. Discovery is on route to Vulcan to pick up their new captain when they receive up an emergency distress call from another Federation ship, which turns out to be the U.S.S. Enterprise, which at this point is under the command of Captain Christopher Pike. Executive producer and co-creator Alex Kurtzman spoke with Variety and commented on the appearance of the Enterprise and how it might play into the second season.

"The show is called ‘Discovery.’ It’s not ‘Enterprise.' So yes, the Enterprise will play a part  of Season 2 but it will absolutely not overshadow Discovery. And I think with Enterprise’s arrival in the finale we recognize that the audience has a lot of questions about our synchronicity with the original series, which really means or synchronicity with canon. So the promise of the Enterprise holds the answers to a lot of those questions, including Spock’s relationship with his half-sister who he’s never mentioned. Which does not necessarily mean you’re going to see Spock, just that we owe an answer to that question."

Despite Star Trek: Discovery taking place roughly ten years before the events of The Original Series, it's visually quite different from anything we saw in that series. From a practical real-world point of view, the choice to modernize sets and costumes is understandable, but when directly faced with the U.S.S. Enterprise, a ship whose visual design we know very well, I'm curious to see how far the Discovery team will depart from "canon."

The ship itself is certainly recognizable as the Enterprise we know, albeit with a few added bells and whistles, and Alex Kurtzman hinted to Entertainment Weekly that if and when we see the interior, it will likely be a spruced up version.

"Here’s what I’ll say: We have to stay consistent design-wise with the Enterprise, obviously we can’t mess around with that. That being said, the technology and the look of the Discovery is so far past TOS merely as a function of the time in which these [shows were made]. Our goal is to be interpretive in a way that feels it’s protective of what the Enterprise would look like if, in theory, if we were to build any Enterprise sets. But if we built it like it looked in The Original Series, there would be a massive visual disconnect. Figuring out a way to bridge that gap would theoretically be the work of a production designer — were there to be any designs like that."

Star Trek icon Jonathan Frakes will return to Star Trek: Discovery for its second season. Frakes was a guest at the Lexington Comics and Toy Convention and during a panel, he revealed that he’d be heading back to Toronto to work on Star Trek: Discovery Season Two.

“Yes, I’m about to go back,” Frakes said. He went on to say, “I just read the first -script of the second season and the outline for the second -script and it’s on fire now.”

Frakes seeing the first -script for season two does not mean he will be directing the premiere. That job has already been given to Star Trek: Discovery co-creator Alex Kurtzman. Perhaps the outline for the second -script is for him? Nothing is for sure at this point.

Frakes directed the first episode of Star Trek: Discovery Season One’s second chapter, “Despite Yourself,” which introduced the Discovery cast to the mirror universe.

The iconic Vulcan Spock will appear in the second season of Star Trek: Discovery, though possibly not as fans were expecting.

Jonathan Frakes was a guest at El Paso Comic Con 2018. Frakes is a Star Trek veteran, having played Commander Riker in Star Trek: The Next Generation, directed episodes of The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, and Star Trek: Voyager, as well as the films Star Trek: First Contact and Star Trek: Insurrection, and guest starred in episodes of Deep Space Nine and Star Trek: Enterprise.

More recently Frakes directed the first episode of Star Trek: Discovery Season One’s second chapter, “Despite Yourself.” At a previous convention, Frakes confirmed that he would be returning to work on Star Trek: Discovery Season Two. In El Paso, he further revealed that he will be directing two episodes of the season, episodes 2 and 10, and offered some details about the second episode.

According to Justin Oser, the host of the Star Trek: The Next Generation show Earl Grey on Trek FM, Frakes confirmed that Anson Mount will appear in the second episode as Captain Christopher Pike and that the episode will include Spock. However, he did not confirm that it would be the adult Spock, who would be science officer aboard the Enterprise at the time Star Trek: Discovery takes place, but that a younger Spock would be featured in flashbacks along with his foster sister, Michael Burnham.

“Frakes says he will be directing episodes 2 and 10 of season 2 of #StarTrekDiscovery - episode 2 will have Anson Mount as Pike and a young Spock that we’ll see in flashbacks #StarTrek #ElPasoComicCon,” Oser tweeted. “Frakes also said there will be a young Burnham in the flashbacks for episode 2 of season 2 of #StarTrekDiscovery #ElPasoComicCon”

Fans were surprised to see the USS Enterprise appear in the first season finale episode of Star Trek: Discovery. They may have been even more surprised that the ship’s design had changed from how it appeared on Star Trek: The Original Series. Now fans know why the changes happened.

Designers John Eaves and Scott Schneider were tasked with putting together concept art for the Enterprise’s appearance in Star Trek: Discovery. One of their images, showing the Enterprise flying alongside the USS Discovery, is featured in the Star Trek: Ships of the Line 2019 Wall Calendar. After seeing the response to the image, Eaves took to Facebook to shed some light on the design process.

“Back in April of 2017 the task of the Enterprise making an appearance came to be and work was to start right away,” Eaves says. “The task started with the guideline that the Enterprise for Discovery had to be 25% different otherwise production would have most likely been able to use the original design from the 60's but that couldn't happen so we took Jefferies original concepts and with great care tried to be as faithful as possible. We had the advantage of a ten-year gap in Trek history to retro the ship a bit with elements that could be removed and replaced somewhere in the time frame of Discovery and the Original series.”

Directing a television series is mostly a nothingburger that doesn't require much skill and definitely requires very little creativity.  On a film a director usually has carte blance to change anything, but on a television series they have character arcs, continuing story arcs, and tone restrictions they have to work within.  Television shows are pretty much directed by producers and writers, not directors.  Successful shows run themselves once the screenplay is done which is why you see so many different directors during a season of any given show.

So whenever I see someone like Jonahathan Frakes directing the first thing I always think is they did it almost entirely to have that person's name associated with the show to promote it.  Your main job is to make the cast like you, or at least not hate you.

Edited by fantastic_four