• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rick & Morty from Oni Press

83 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

It was fine in the other thread. It's fine here.  It's on topic in both threads, pick your poison.  A few people now seem to be trying to control speech when it comes to this comic, even threatening to notify mods over it. That's just obscene. I only pointed out all the shilling in that thread originally because someone cited all those fake auctions to show the book as "heating up".  It just rolled on and on from there because a few people didn't just concede the obvious point right away and let it go.  First they denied it, then excused it, then defended it.   Now they seek to suppress all discussion of it.  Screw that.  

-J. 

I think keeping it in this specific thread is being a good board member to the people that are tired of reading about it in the general thread. They can avoid it entirely, or just pop in every now and then to see if anything new has come up (like I'm doing now).

13 hours ago, IntoAnother said:

Here's another one to watch very closely. This one has "sold" via auction atleast twice already...

Rick and Morty #1 1:50 variant (2015, Oni Press) https://www.ebay.com/i/272883484497

The last time is was ONLY bid on by bidders l***c (53) and 4***y (4).

Same ebay I.D. sold a raw #1 regular cover, shilled up to $480.00, as well.

Heads up, 

The three highest bidders are shills, and the real bids stopped at $510. 

Rick and Morty #1 1:50 variant (2015, Oni Press) https://outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed.ebay.com/outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F272883484497 

This is is even dirtier...

Rick and Morty 1 Justin Roiland Variant 1:50 https://outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed.ebay.com/outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F172930993351

eBay is aware of the situation surrounding this book and has claimed they will be taking action after a thorough investigation. Yet seeing that the bids are still live I just wanted to give a heads up just in case anyone was possibly debating bidding on these books. 

On 10/14/2017 at 6:27 PM, MediumLover said:

I do not believe they needed to shill that book. The majority of books I’ve seen sell that were signed by both Dan and Justin have gone for a premium, especially the #1’s.

Admittedly I have not looked at every single auction or sale, but if these items keep popping up from the same seller, and "won" by the same "fake" buyers, where does the buck stop? Have there been "verified" sales of these items for the inflated prices?

Yes, a few verified sales have taken place at the inflated prices. They have been shilling this book for months though so it’s difficult to say what the value of a raw copy should be right now.

Especially since it appears they began the shill right around when the Comic Book Men and Season 3 hype began, which IMO alerted quite a few comic book collectors that the series existed, and vice versa for fans of the show who were not aware of the books which also may be a fairly large contributing factor to the extremely large price jumps across the board.

I’m pretty hopeful the value will begin coming back down very soon though.

16 minutes ago, IntoAnother said:

Yes, a few verified sales have taken place at the inflated prices. They have been shilling this book for months though so it’s difficult to say what the value of a raw copy should be right now.

Especially since it appears they began the shill right around when the Comic Book Men and Season 3 hype began, which IMO alerted quite a few comic book collectors that the series existed, and vice versa for fans of the show who were not aware of the books which also may be a fairly large contributing factor to the extremely large price jumps across the board.

I’m pretty hopeful the value will begin coming back down very soon though.

Are there links to "verified" sales at inflated prices?

13 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Are there links to "verified" sales at inflated prices?

Well, one that I swore was legit the other night I can’t locate now in the completed sales. hm

I’m going to have to dig a bit for the others because it’s a sea of shills in the completed sales. Many of which are the same exact book. 

It’s going to be tough as many of the sales had a shill tap out right before the last bid. For the buy it now sales I’m not sure I can verify those. 

I’ll see what I can come up with. 

Okay, I found it. Here’s the one that ended the other night that I was referring to. It was clearly shilled so I reached out to the seller and alerted him to the shill as it didn’t appear he was involved in this absurdly long shill.

Kudos to him for having the bids removed and blocking the shills all in the last hour or so if the auctions closing time. 

The bids were removed and it does not appear to have any of the 1:50 shills bids in it. 

RICK & MORTY #1 1:50 ROILAND VARIANT ONI PRESS 2015 JUSTIN ROILAND NM https://outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed.ebay.com/outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F263253841125 

If they hadn’t of been shilling for so long and so consitantly I can EASILY see raw copies of this book going for around $500 on the average. 

13 minutes ago, manetteska said:

How do you know it would have ended at $500 without previous shill sales? In the last hour of the auction -- when bad bids/bidders were removed/blocked -- it appears two legitimate buyers both wanted it enough to both bid $1200.

No, my apologies if that was confusing. I was just implying that if the two shills who have continuously shilled copies of this book for months hadn’t of done that, raw copies very well could be in the ballpark of $500 on average right now  

They have manipulated the market that much. 

I personally didn’t notice any suspect behavior on that sale once the shills were blocked. 

3 minutes ago, IntoAnother said:

No, my apologies if that was confusing. I was just implying that if the two shills who have continuously shilled copies of this book for months hadn’t of done that, raw copies very well could be in the ballpark of $500 on average right now  

They have manipulated the market that much. 

I personally didn’t notice any suspect behavior on that sale once the shills were blocked. 

Yes, a theory but not necessarily a fact. We will most likely never know if the bidding was prompted by prices of previous sales (shilled or not) or just two people wanting an item.

So for this specific listing, a seller without any known affiliation with the shillers (who actively removed and blocked the shillers) sold an item for a good price to a "real" buyer. Still not seeing the upside for the shillers (bidders or sellers) if they never actually sell the item.

(I am not saying this is all totally legit, just trying to figure out "to what end?")

2 hours ago, IntoAnother said:

Okay, I found it. Here’s the one that ended the other night that I was referring to. It was clearly shilled so I reached out to the seller and alerted him to the shill as it didn’t appear he was involved in this absurdly long shill.

Kudos to him for having the bids removed and blocking the shills all in the last hour or so if the auctions closing time. 

The bids were removed and it does not appear to have any of the 1:50 shills bids in it. 

RICK & MORTY #1 1:50 ROILAND VARIANT ONI PRESS 2015 JUSTIN ROILAND NM https://outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed.ebay.com/outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F263253841125 

If they hadn’t of been shilling for so long and so consitantly I can EASILY see raw copies of this book going for around $500 on the average. 

There is at least one other regular Rick and Morty shill in this auction.

But I may see as many as two others in that auction.  

-J.

8 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Yes, a theory but not necessarily a fact. We will most likely never know if the bidding was prompted by prices of previous sales (shilled or not) or just two people wanting an item.

So for this specific listing, a seller without any known affiliation with the shillers (who actively removed and blocked the shillers) sold an item for a good price to a "real" buyer. Still not seeing the upside for the shillers (bidders or sellers) if they never actually sell the item.

(I am not saying this is all totally legit, just trying to figure out "to what end?")

You may not know if it was shills “or just two people wanting an item”...and not paying for them, but I do. They are shills. 

I reached out to eBay several times and know for a fact that they are shills. It’s been going on for months and they have quite a bit of homework to do before they take action. 

For what reason are these two people consistently shilling these books for? 

I have no idea, but they are caught. It’s just a matter of time before they are dealt with by eBay, and very likely exposed here on the boards.