• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Yellow Kid
1 1

62 posts in this topic

Yellow Kid graciously sent me the following to post:

This piece of original Yellow Kid art was cut from the November 22, 1896, issue of William Randolph Hearst's The New York Journal. Clearly, he sent out the other nine images to friends as well. My section came from an old family scrapbook--don't worry, I checked, there were no other pieces of comic art in the scrapbook. The art is almost 9" x 9" at its largest points and is in excellent condition. The inscription was obviously added to each of the pieces before he gave them away.

154290.jpg.0984ae5b5a2d218fb938d621d2e95f9b.jpg

Wow.

Is there a pic of the proof anywhere?

Brian Walker showed it as a full-page picture on p.32 of his excellent first volume, "The Comics Before 1945." I will try and post scans of it and the art later today. If anyone can post it before then, I would appreciate it.

Then allow me. It's a great piece (and those two volumes of The Comics are wonderful).

Yellow_kid_zpspgtj5bco.jpg

I never made a connection between the Yellow Kid and the "Me Worry?" kid (who later became "Alfred E. Neuman"), but this image has me wondering.

kid101001_zps762d6b12.jpg

Edited by Sarg

Thanks so much for posting the page. It is on that nice glossy paper always used for page proofs and the colors are still fantastic.

And you are right, Brian's two volumes are wonderful!

Edited by Yellow Kid

Do any of you Outcault enthusiasts know when exactly this cartoon came out or which paper it was in?  It's pasted onto a scrapbook page so I can't see the back side of it.

It's called "Turning the Tables".

That's not Poor Lil Mose is it?

Cartoon is about the size of a comic book.

a1.jpg

All of Outcault's early newspaper cartoons were either in Pulitzer's The World, or later in Hearst's The Journal.  When he was trying to establish himself, he not only tried various series but also did a number of smaller, one panel cartoons of varying sizes less than a full page.  He also did these for period humor magazines like Truth and Judge.  I have the Outcault family collection of Sunday tear sheets, which sadly is incomplete and doesn't include your piece, which is probably from the late 1890's, a few years before he created Pore Li'l Mose.

4 hours ago, Yellow Kid said:

All of Outcault's early newspaper cartoons were either in Pulitzer's The World, or later in Hearst's The Journal.  When he was trying to establish himself, he not only tried various series but also did a number of smaller, one panel cartoons of varying sizes less than a full page.  He also did these for period humor magazines like Truth and Judge.  I have the Outcault family collection of Sunday tear sheets, which sadly is incomplete and doesn't include your piece, which is probably from the late 1890's, a few years before he created Pore Li'l Mose.

Is there an online resource (with pics) that catalogues all of his work?  I can't seem to find one.  If not....... maybe you should make one :idea:

It is a shame that such a resource doesn't exist, but there is the Kitchen Sink reprint of the Yellow Kid tear sheets, there are a few book chapters, a couple of journal articles, and my web site.  And because I don' keep up with such things as carefully as I used to, there may well  be additional sources I am not familiar with.  However, given the age of his material and the wide variety of publications he created in addition to Sunday newspaper cartoons, I doubt that such a resource could be compiled.  Still, I don't mind as it is very exciting to find a Yellow Kid item that I didn't know existed.

On 4/26/2018 at 11:49 AM, Yellow Kid said:

It is a shame that such a resource doesn't exist, but there is the Kitchen Sink reprint of the Yellow Kid tear sheets, there are a few book chapters, a couple of journal articles, and my web site.  And because I don' keep up with such things as carefully as I used to, there may well  be additional sources I am not familiar with.  However, given the age of his material and the wide variety of publications he created in addition to Sunday newspaper cartoons, I doubt that such a resource could be compiled.  Still, I don't mind as it is very exciting to find a Yellow Kid item that I didn't know existed.

What is your website?  I want to take a gander.  I've found some cool YK stuff through the years but always let it go (sometimes it shocked me at how much it sold for).  I now wish I had kept it all.

BTW... what's the definition of a "tear sheet"?  Is that a Sunday strip?

Edited by gadzukes

Yes, a tear sheet is a page from the published comic section.

YK collectibles are generally rare, so even though there aren't many dedicated collectors, the prices can be steep.  The exceptions are most of the pinbacks and postcards.  Because he only appeared in the NYC papers, merchandising was limited.  Only a few years later when Outcault created Buster Brown, it was a national sensation and merchandising was more common.

The link to my web site is in my signature line.

This is a B&W 8x10 "press photo" that was used for some periodical.  It came out of a giant collection of Press photos from the 30s-50s.  Unfortunately the press info sticker was pulled from the back (2nd photo) so I don't know what year this photo was published.

I know it's just a b&w photo of the original and probably not worth anything, but I thought it was interesting.

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

40 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

This is a B&W 8x10 "press photo" that was used for some periodical.  It came out of a giant collection of Press photos from the 30s-50s.  Unfortunately the press info sticker was pulled from the back (2nd photo) so I don't know what year this photo was published.

I know it's just a b&w photo of the original and probably not worth anything, but I thought it was interesting.

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

Here is the pic in color. This first appeared in the paper New York World on Sept 6 1896. It was reprinted in the book R. F. Outcault’s The Yellow Kid: A Centennial Celebration of the Kid Who Started the Comics. Northampton, Mass.: Kitchen Sink Press, 1995

yk pic.jpg