• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Yellow Kid
1 1

62 posts in this topic

On 2/14/2024 at 1:34 AM, Robot Man said:

Most of these are over 120 years old!

The baseball one refers to the NY Yankees.

IMG_8211.jpeg

It's funny but I don't recall ever seeing these at the flea markets of my youth back east. It seems like the kind of thing I would have noticed as I was well aware of the Yellow Kid after reading "The Comics" an early history of the comic strip medium when I was twelve of so. I do remember some Outcault Greeting Cards I wished I had bought and even some Ub Iwerks cells (non Disney) I also wished I had purchased. I had read about Ub Iwerks in the "The Disney Version" back then too. When Steranko's "History of Comics" came out I was in seventh heaven! Even so Golden Age comics were tough to find back then at the flea markets with only the occaisional score.

On 2/18/2024 at 4:23 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

It's funny but I don't recall ever seeing these at the flea markets of my youth back east. It seems like the kind of thing I would have noticed as I was well aware of the Yellow Kid after reading "The Comics" an early history of the comic strip medium when I was twelve of so. I do remember some Outcault Greeting Cards I wished I had bought and even some Ub Iwerks cells (non Disney) I also wished I had purchased. I had read about Ub Iwerks in the "The Disney Version" back then too. When Steranko's "History of Comics" came out I was in seventh heaven! Even so Golden Age comics were tough to find back then at the flea markets with only the occaisional score.

I don’t think I ever got any of these at flea markets. I did get a small group from a lady at an antique show. The rest came from the internet and even Rich Olsen himself.

I think Rich would be happy that this thread lives on with us posting artifacts from his favorite character. So post yer stuff if you have any. 

IMG_8353.jpeg