• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Defenders Thread - Netflix & **Marvel Spoiler Filled**

117 posts in this topic

I'm going to take my time with this show, rather than rush through the episodes.

I watched the first episode. It's all about establishing the foundation.

Spoiler

No Daredevil costume. No major fights other than Iron Fist and Colleen Wing hunting someone down from The Hand.

But what the episode does deliver on is each of these characters has gone through a lot. To include Danny having nightmares about all the people at the temple he failed to protect from The Hand. So that at least shows how they will need to rely on one another to be a stronger protector of those needing their help.

And at the end - Elektra!

6 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I'm going to take my time with this show, rather than rush through the episodes.

I watched the first episode. It's all about establishing the foundation.

Reveal hidden contents

No Daredevil costume. No major fights other than Iron Fist and Colleen Wing hunting someone down from The Hand.

But what the episode does deliver on is each of these characters has gone through a lot. To include Danny having nightmares about all the people at the temple he failed to protect from The Hand. So that at least shows how they will need to rely on one another to be a stronger protector of those needing their help.

And at the end - Elektra!

Just starting in on the opening. So far, afer watching Iron Fist, choreography and action is MUCH better. Reminds me of the Matrix.

Even the opening sequence and theme is pretty exciting.

Edited by bronze_rules

Really disappointing, I was really hyped for this but so much wrong.

Takes a while to get going. With only 8 episodes you would think they would get straight to it but by then end you figure out the early episodes were the best and it just gets worse!

Sick of the Hand and Elektra. Please no more.

Sigourney Weaver is totally wasted. After all that secrecy I was like "Is that it?"

Some terrible fight scenes. Especially in episode 7 with the zoomed in shots and super fast cuts, in the dark no less. You could not tell who was fighting who! The final fight in episode 8 wasn't much better and the rap music playing was a terrible choice.

The ending. Sigh. As if everyone knew that wasn't coming so what's the point?

Very little chemistry between the cast/characters apart from between JJ and DD.

Too much time wasted on the supporting characters. They are needed in the individual shows to support the main characters but when you have 4 main characters you don't need to keep cutting to see them sitting around worried about their friends.

Huge drop in quality from Daredevil S1/2 and Jessica Jones.

Edited by Anfield Fox

10 minutes ago, Anfield Fox said:

Really disappointing, I was really hyped for this but so much wrong.

Reveal hidden contents

I agree completely.

Also,

Spoiler

Why is Iron Fist such a wimp? I really don't remember him being such a wimpy character in the comics. Twice on screen (his own series and now here) and they still barely have him win a fight with anyone.

Watched the whole season yesterday.  I enjoyed it and would rate it 4 out of 5 stars.  It had some plot problems, but nothing bad enough to ruin the enjoyment for me.  I'm glad to see they made progress with the Danny Rand character. He was a lot better here than in Iron Fist season 1.  Some might not like the slower pace at the beginning, but I enjoyed playing catch-up with the characters, bringing us up to speed on their lives.  The biggest downside is, with only 8 episodes, the slow start left us with a more simplistic and brief conflict.  It would have benefited from a few more episodes and a further developed story line.

I'd rank Defenders behind Daredevil Seasons 1 and 2. After the Avengers Age of Ultron, I started to lower my expectations on these Marvel Movies and TV shows.

Seriously, the story was very good but the execution... not very much!

2 hours ago, prez said:

I'd rank Defenders behind Daredevil Seasons 1 and 2. After the Avengers Age of Ultron, I started to lower my expectations on these Marvel Movies and TV shows.

Seriously, the story was very good but the execution... not very much!

I as well. They have started to become Disneyfied. We got to remember those first Marvel movies and season 1 of Daredevil were the real Marvel stuff without much Disney influence.

The last two great Marvel character productions I enjoyed the most are Logan and Deadpool both by Fox.

Lately the Marvel stuff by Marvel is just been alright. Nothing to get fanatical about. 

How many times do you have to fight the Hand?

Oh well, at least it wasn't as bad as Iron Fist and only a short 8 episodes. 

netflix-original-series-premieres_-30-da

It will be interesting to see where The Defenders falls in under reality, as opposed to opinion.  Every Marvel Netflix show has its own genre, style, and form.  The people who *only* like Daredevil, (and then even within that group, only like its visceral aspect as opposed to the strong character development, and outstanding acting), are a tiny tiny part of the market and audience.  Marvel has out right stated they are and will continue to produce characters and shows in different styles and genres...

The Defenders merges all the shows together, and just as it would never be like Jessica Jones' which is too gruesome for many of the main stream audience, neither was it going to be just Daredevil Season 3.  The show is most like a hybrid of Iron Fist and Daredevil, not surprisingly either, as thats how the story itself plays out, with them being the two most significant of The Defenders with respect to the villain (The Hand), and the ongoing story so far (the war for New York).

The Defenders is outstanding, and as with ALL of the Marvel/Netflix shows (including Ironfist), a YUGE success.  Obviously people are welcome to have their own opinions about what they like, they just need to realize that it is only an opinion.

The people who really dislike Ironfist, wont likely *love* The Defenders, but Punisher is next which WILL be of the kind and type that they like, so solace is only as far away as November.

Luckily, that minority of opinion, has no say or control over what is produced, or every single Marvel project would simply be an action piece.  In my *opinion*, The Punisher is going to be the best Netflix/Marvel show yet, by a lot.  But, I think every single one they have done so far has been excellent, and I am very pleased they arent all running the race in the same lane.

The Defenders is an easy 8.5 - 9 out of 10, period.  But hey, that's just my opinion...

Edited by CBT

On 8/19/2017 at 4:26 PM, SilverAgeGuy said:

Watched the whole season yesterday.  I enjoyed it and would rate it 4 out of 5 stars.  It had some plot problems, but nothing bad enough to ruin the enjoyment for me.  I'm glad to see they made progress with the Danny Rand character. He was a lot better here than in Iron Fist season 1.  Some might not like the slower pace at the beginning, but I enjoyed playing catch-up with the characters, bringing us up to speed on their lives.  The biggest downside is, with only 8 episodes, the slow start left us with a more simplistic and brief conflict.  It would have benefited from a few more episodes and a further developed story line.

I agree and enjoyed it as well.  While I don't think it needed the full 13 episodes they've given prior seasons, 9-10 would have allowed the ending not to have felt as rushed.  

I watched episode 1 and feel no urge to continue.  Mostly it reminded me that I probably never would have watched all of Jessica Jones if not for David Tennant; Kathryn Ritter is a cutie, but her character is bitterly unlikable.  Similarly, Vincent D'Onofrio compelled me on with Daredevil; Charlie Cox was fine but not a huge draw.  The guy playing Luke Cage doesn't seem loud and strong-willed enough to play Luke Cage...I didn't expect the exaggerated, jive-talking Cage from the comics, but I expected a character who ran his mouth more than they're having this one do.  They gave me no reason to care much about Sigourney Weaver's character.  Nobody in it is likable enough to compel me onwards.

I always thought Iron Fist was a lame-ish character concept in the comics, and wow, that glowing fist was even dumber on screen when I saw it for the first time last night after skipping his series.  What kind of punch makes a regular person's body fly backwards several dozen feet without breaking skin and bones?  :eek:  The actor playing him has no screen presence at all, not much reason to like him.

Edited by fantastic_four

Having the entire team be "Punchers" got a little monotonous. 

Iron Fist? Why do the writers hate Iron Fist so much. 

Not really a spoiler but I'll hide it anyway....

Spoiler

Iron fist is basically a thematic combination of butthole, bait, weepy Tobey Spider-man, the least patient parts of Veruca Salt, and The One Ring in human form without the upside.

15 hours ago, CBT said:

netflix-original-series-premieres_-30-da

Now that I am back from vacation, I'll have to see if I can do my part for The Defenders. Though from the first few episodes, it feels like a slow story for a season only containing 8 episodes.

On 8/17/2017 at 11:00 AM, Bosco685 said:

Certified fresh!

3LPqTjZ.png

And compared to other show results, not a bad spot to be in.

• Daredevil Season 1 - 98%
  • Jessica Jones - 92%
  • Daredevil Season 2 - 74%
  • Luke Cage - 96%
  • Iron Fist - 17%

The ratings have been updated a bit as more reviews come in. It's still doing ok...but down to  75% tomato meter. 

When you look at the "average ratings" you get a different picture.

All our out of "10"

Luke Cage: 8.2

Jessica Jones: 8.16

DD 1:  8.12

DD 2: 7.05

Defenders: 6.51

Iron Fist: 4.24

Lotta love for Luke Cage.