• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OFFICIAL bloodshot (2017) Movie thread Bloodshot only

408 posts in this topic

On 3/13/2020 at 8:38 PM, paperheart said:

$8.4MM estimate from Deadline, terrible. Let the excuses begin.  The only possible saving grace is that everything going forward has been  cancelled, may help extend the run a bit. 

lol

Global pandemic.  What else you want?

:kidaround:

Oh, hey - look, kids!

It's my boy Scott Mendelson noting how Bloodshot's failure has damaged the prospects for a Valiant Cinematic Universe!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2020/03/16/box-office-bloodshot-bombed-because-vin-diesel-is-only-a-draw-in-fast-and-furious-films-and-xxx-movies/#552a726f5b3d

"Yes, theaters all over the world are being hit by the coronavirus. However, Bloodshot was projected to open with around $10 million domestic and came through with $9.3 million. Especially with poor reviews and indifferent buzz, Bloodshot (about a dead soldier who gets brought back to life and injected with nanobytes) was almost certainly doomed. It’s not going to kickstart a Valiant cinematic universe, at least not in theaters. It’s another failed attempt by the star to create a new franchise outside of the Fast & Furious sandbox, joining Babylon A.Dand Tha Last Witch Hunter."

10 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Oh, hey - look, kids!

It's my boy Scott Mendelson noting how Bloodshot's failure has damaged the prospects for a Valiant Cinematic Universe!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2020/03/16/box-office-bloodshot-bombed-because-vin-diesel-is-only-a-draw-in-fast-and-furious-films-and-xxx-movies/#552a726f5b3d

"Yes, theaters all over the world are being hit by the coronavirus. However, Bloodshot was projected to open with around $10 million domestic and came through with $9.3 million. Especially with poor reviews and indifferent buzz, Bloodshot (about a dead soldier who gets brought back to life and injected with nanobytes) was almost certainly doomed. It’s not going to kickstart a Valiant cinematic universe, at least not in theaters. It’s another failed attempt by the star to create a new franchise outside of the Fast & Furious sandbox, joining Babylon A.Dand Tha Last Witch Hunter."

He's 'your boy' when he notes the negative or positive things you are attempting to proclaim.  (:

But if you actually read the article, the point made was about Vin Diesel being more a Sylvester Stallone-type actor that only excels in certain franchises and roles. Which I disagree with as with Riddick it was a series of really cool films that fit the guy perfectly. They just had a limited R-rating audience. That film Chronicles of Riddick was perfect for his limited acting style and the character he portrayed.

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

He's 'your boy' when he notes the negative or positive things you are attempting to proclaim.  (:

But if you actually read the article, the point made was about Vin Diesel being more a Sylvester Stallone-type actor that only excels in certain franchises and roles. Which I disagree with as with Riddick it was a series of really cool films that fit the guy perfectly. They just had a limited R-rating audience. That film Chronicles of Riddick was perfect for his limited acting style and the character he portrayed.

It's a simple "yes or no" question:

Does Bloodshot's performance last weekend make a Harbinger film more likely?

If your answer's anything but "no" you're deluded or truly don't understand this business.

And btw - Chronicles of Riddick was . Glad it was my buddy who wasted the rental fee on it; not me. I'd rather re-watch *any* of the Mad Max films, or even Ice Pirates.

1 minute ago, Gatsby77 said:

It's a simple "yes or no" question:

Does Bloodshot's performance last weekend make a Harbinger film more likely?

If your answer's anything but "no" you're deluded or truly don't understand this business.

And btw - Chronicles of Riddick was . Glad it was my buddy who wasted the rental fee on it; not me. I'd rather re-watch *any* of the Mad Max films, or even Ice Pirates.

:roflmao:

Sorry. You are in one of those moods again, aren't you?

22 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Oh, hey - look, kids!

before the CV and 32 RT, this thing was projected to maybe do HB 2019 #'s in the US ($40MM), the one-two punch knocked it out here and crushed any hopes it had internationally to do a decent number.

32 minutes ago, paperheart said:

before the CV and 32 RT, this thing was projected to maybe do HB 2019 #'s in the US ($40MM), the one-two punch knocked it out here and crushed any hopes it had internationally to do a decent number.

BS.

BoxOfficePro had it tracking at $12-$17 million as of Jan. 17. 

https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range-tracking-bloodshot-i-still-believe-and-my-spy/

And that was down to just $10 million by three weeks before release.

The fact that it finished with $9.3 million vs. its long-held $10 million tracking amidst the coronavirus scare is a miracle.

Edited by Gatsby77

1 minute ago, Gatsby77 said:

BS.

BoxOfficePro had it tracking at $12-$17 million as of Jan. 17. 

https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range-tracking-bloodshot-i-still-believe-and-my-spy/

And that was down to just $10 million by three weeks before release.

The fact that it finished with $9.3 million vs. its long-held $10 million tracking amidst the coronavirus scare is a miracle.

$40MM total US initially, maybe $30MM by time of release- either way, it was going to blow.

The film will be available March 24.

As movie theaters close around the country, Sony is the latest studio set to make a theatrical release available early. Bloodshot, the new Vin Diesel movie from Sony's Columbia Pictures, will be available for digital purchase March 24.

“Sony Pictures is firmly committed to theatrical exhibition and we support windowing,” Sony Pictures chairman Tom Rothman said in a statement. “This is a unique and exceedingly rare circumstance where theaters have been required to close nationwide for the greater good and Bloodshot is abruptly unavailable in any medium. Audiences will now have the chance to own Bloodshot right away and see it at home, where we are all spending more time. We are confident that -- like other businesses hit hard by the virus -- movie theaters will bounce back strongly, and we will be there to support them.”

1 hour ago, D84 said:

Cool.  I hope more movies do this.

It will be interesting what changes in the film market takes place from these experiences.

I definitely want to see this film. Though the theater audience reaction to films is part of the fun in going.

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

It will be interesting what changes in the film market takes place from these experiences.

I definitely want to see this film. Though the theater audience reaction to films is part of the fun in going.

Some of that has been going on already. Marriage Story was released just wide enough to qualify for Academy Awards before going to Netflix. (That's just one example; I'm sure there are more, but this probably doesn't happen much with action or sci-fi movies that work better on a big screen)

10 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Some of that has been going on already. Marriage Story was released just wide enough to qualify for Academy Awards before going to Netflix. (That's just one example; I'm sure there are more, but this probably doesn't happen much with action or sci-fi movies that work better on a big screen)

The Irishman's another one.

11 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

53 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

The Irishman's another one.

But with The Irishman, that was done purposely by Scorsese/Netflix to ensure it did not detract from the streaming views. So streaming release was the real target - not theater release.

Why Martin Scorsese's The Irishman won't be coming to a cinema near you

The $159m film and passion project for Scorsese was financed by Netflix after years of languishing in development. The director wrote in the New York Times earlier this week that Netflix “alone allowed us to make The Irishman the way we needed to”. But when it came time to broker a deal with distributors for theatrical release, parties couldn’t agree.

Traditionally, cinemas have demanded a 90-day window between theatrical release and on-demand availability, essentially giving them the first exclusive bite of the revenue pie. But negotiations between the Netflix/Scorsese team and two major US cinema chains, AMC Theatres and Cineplex, fell apart earlier this year when Netflix reportedly wanted that window closed to 45 days at most.

Other major cinema chains in the UK and Europe followed suit. The Irishman is reported to have opened in only eight cinemas in New York and Los Angeles. The trend has also spread to Australia, where the only cinemas to be showing the film will be “independent” chains such as Dendy and Classic cinemas – companies that have a stronger market in niche fare than major multiplexes like Village and Hoyts.

12 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

But with The Irishman, that was done purposely by Scorsese/Netflix to ensure it did not detract from the streaming views. So streaming release was the real target - not theater release.

Why Martin Scorsese's The Irishman won't be coming to a cinema near you

No shi**t.

It's actually the opposite.

The *only* reason Netflix released both The Irishman and Marriage Story into theaters *at all* was so they would each qualify for the Oscars.

Both were intended as primarily streaming releases.

20 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

No shi**t.

It's actually the opposite.

The *only* reason Netflix released both The Irishman and Marriage Story into theaters *at all* was so they would each qualify for the Oscars.

Both were intended as primarily streaming releases.

'No shi**t'? By the way, you spelled it wrong. :insane:

You made it sound like they pulled it early versus planned primarily for streaming first.