• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Comics #3 Conflict of Restoration

94 posts in this topic

Hey guys , thinking of taking this book to market but I'm conflicted which label will impact the value more. CGC had it right with the notes and description but the other company labeled it as amateur and trimed (both are not) Should I keep it now with the higher grade but wrong notes or have it regraded with CGC. And any idea what it could fetch with the better option?

image1%201_zpsrcmx758i.jpg

Wow what a mess here. Interesting to see that the other company graded it as amateur resto., while CGC as professional.. That's also a big difference in value. I think you would've gotten more for your money if it were in the CGC label even if it is a full grade lower. Trimming is so frowned upon in the comic world.

If you are looking to sell it, I don't think you have much choice but to resubmit it to CGC and hope for the best. Trimmed is a real killer and the higher grade won't come close to offsetting the negative effect on the price.

If it comes back trimmed from CGC, then unfortunately you will be taking a big hit relative to what you could have gotten with the first CGC label.

I love that book. Do you have a full size scan? I agree with the above, if value is what you are after, then CGC is the way to go. The trimming is a killer and in my experience selling, buying and watching auctions, CGC still sells for more than CBCS.

I love that book. Do you have a full size scan? I agree with the above, if value is what you are after, then CGC is the way to go. The trimming is a killer and in my experience selling, buying and watching auctions, CGC still sells for more than CBCS.

+1

And this thread pretty much cements the notion that all this new company is really any use for is putting restored books into blue holders for prospective sellers.

-J.

It's my work, the book isn't trimmed. The leaf casted material was.

You can see in the three photos the original edges pre, and post work are the same. The entire cover was leaf casted (paper added on all edges) The excess leaf casted paper was trimmed...but only right up to the original covers edges, I never trim off original material. Not to mention covers already tend to shrink when washed, so I am not about to make them even smaller by trimming them!

You can even see on the top edge,excess casted material was actually left on, and CT'ed. (look at the spikey ball)

So to some it may appear the cover was "trimmed", because the edges are so clean due to the entire edge being casted. But only the added material was trimmed. Not the original cover. Same as you would trim off excess hand applied japan tissues used for piece fill.

That's the beauty of leaf casting. It fills in, and basically creates a complete folio which can be trimmed back to original size. The same way every conservation lab in the world does on leaf casted historical documents.

Before(obviously)

DSC02520_zpsrhxdx1hh.jpg

After leaf casting. Note the extra material around the entire cover which at this point has been trimmed close to the original to make it easier to handle.

casted1_zpsqjdcvbun.jpg

And after partial CT, with leaf casted material trimmed to original cover.

DSC02927_zpswhq9a12g.jpg

It's my work, the book isn't trimmed.

That explains why it's amateur... :baiting:

I know right!!!

I'm trying bro, I'm trying!!

I musta used non archival crayons.

Did you replace the staples too?

Nope, but since the cover and interior were both casted, and CT'ed. Original staple landmarks can be hard to determine.

I guess they opted to peg them as replaced.

This book passed through my hands in the original CGC submission, as part of a larger submission. I spoke to Divx22 for permission to discuss it. I did no work on it, but as I told my customer at the time, I thought it was a beautiful restoration job (didn't know it was Ze-Man who had done the work), and thought it should grade 7.0-8.0, depending on how tough CGC wanted to be.

When it came back 7.0, I was not surprised, but thought it looked nicer than that. In my opinion, I think CBCS got the Apparent grade correct, but the designation completely wrong. CGC got the designations correct, but were overly harsh on the grade number.

As I told my customer, I was thrilled just to see it, and thought the work was absolutely lovely.

This will also put a new light on the other company's trimming detection of resto. was done professionally or amateurly. Does this mean that all leaf castes books submitted to them will have trimming and amateur on the label? Or is this all a mistake on their part?

Good question.

hm

I have zero stake in the Fantastic Comics #3, but it is a super, super book. It's just beautiful. Yes, it has a lot of work, but the work is very, very well done, and the book is just a beauty in hand.

I was just thrilled to have such a book in hand. I don't usually get to see books of this rarity and caliber.

:cloud9:

It's my work, the book isn't trimmed. The leaf casted material was.

You can see in the three photos the original edges pre, and post work are the same. The entire cover was leaf casted (paper added on all edges) The excess leaf casted paper was trimmed...but only right up to the original covers edges, I never trim off original material. Not to mention covers already tend to shrink when washed, so I am not about to make them even smaller by trimming them!

You can even see on the top edge,excess casted material was actually left on, and CT'ed. (look at the spikey ball)

So to some it may appear the cover was "trimmed", because the edges are so clean due to the entire edge being casted. But only the added material was trimmed. Not the original cover. Same as you would trim off excess hand applied japan tissues used for piece fill.

That's the beauty of leaf casting. It fills in, and basically creates a complete folio which can be trimmed back to original size. The same way every conservation lab in the world does on leaf casted historical documents.

Before(obviously)

DSC02520_zpsrhxdx1hh.jpg

After leaf casting. Note the extra material around the entire cover which at this point has been trimmed close to the original to make it easier to handle.

casted1_zpsqjdcvbun.jpg

And after partial CT, with leaf casted material trimmed to original cover.

DSC02927_zpswhq9a12g.jpg

Beautiful work :golfclap: