• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A letter to Steve Ditko
1 1

216 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

I actually thought the same thing. He's so grumpy it's funny. But still could have been nicer about it.

Agreed, I couldnt help but laugh at the response as it was rather unexpected.  It is what it is, unfortunately once someone gets jaded, it's hard to come back especially over time.

On 02/04/2017 at 4:16 AM, kav said:

LONDON195.jpg

Not sure if this will make sense to anyone but is the girl Ditko's hand model?

On 06/04/2017 at 0:09 AM, Unca Ben said:

The more Steve Ditko topics I read, the more I understand why he stays away from fandom.

Ditko's criticism on society is nothing compared to people's criticism of him.

Why limit it to fandom though? Avoid everyone, that's what I say. 

2 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Not sure if this will make sense to anyone but is the girl Ditko's hand model?

OUCH!

On 4/2/2017 at 11:15 AM, Captain Canuck said:

I understand he considers his role in comics as work to hire, but think about how much good he could do if he took the money from selling his art and from the movies and donated it. Wouldn't helping those who are less fortunate justify it? As well, he still wouldn't be keeping the money. If it made him sleep better at night, have the money directly deposited with the charity, so he doesn't have to see or hear about it. 

Helping others is the opposite of an objectivists viewpoint. 

On 4/5/2017 at 6:09 PM, Unca Ben said:

The more Steve Ditko topics I read, the more I understand why he stays away from fandom.

No doubt. 

He left Marvel 50 YEARS AGO. 

He's asked for NOTHING. 

He owes us NOTHING. 

I guarantee you, if some random strangers started sending ME letters asking weird questions, if l DID answer them, I'd be a lot more grouchy than Ditko's been. 

50 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

On 4/5/2017 at 4:09 PM, Unca Ben said:

No doubt. 

He's asked for NOTHING. 

He owes us NOTHING. 

I guarantee you, if some random strangers started sending ME letters asking weird questions, if l DID answer them, I'd be a lot more grouchy than Ditko's been. 

Yep.

If Ditko was paid in the range of $25 - $30 a page for his ASM art (which included pencil & ink & plotting) then he made  around $25K - $26.5K for the approximate 880 ASM & AF 15 Spidey pages he drew.  That would be his total output not including covers.  I count roughly 39 covers he penciled & inked, at what, $50 a cover (maybe?)?  So add another $2K to make ≈ $27- $28.5K total.

An "average" Ditko ASM page sells for what, $25K - $70K nowadays?  And an exceptional page would be valued in six figures?
So the sale of one low end ASM page matches what he was paid for his entire 3½ year ASM output.
The last Heritage sale for the ASM #34 pg was $71.7K which is ≈ 2½ times what Ditko made in total.

If there's any owing due around here, it ain't by Ditko.  Yeah, let's have the hubris to talk about writing him funny letters and let's call him grumpy based on anecdotal and subjective evidence.
He deserves it.  :cool:  After all, the only thing he's done for us is nearly single-handedly giving us one of the three most enduring comic book characters ever.  

edit:  and I'm not implying that the folks who actually have written him did any such thing.  To the contrary.

Edited by Unca Ben

10 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

No doubt. 

He's asked for NOTHING. 

He owes us NOTHING. 

I keep saying this and people keep ignoring it.   HE SOLICITS LETTERS FROM PEOPLE SO HE CAN BE RUDE TO THEM.  He has asked for something-letters!

12 minutes ago, kav said:

I keep saying this and people keep ignoring it.   HE SOLICITS LETTERS FROM PEOPLE SO HE CAN BE RUDE TO THEM.  He has asked for something-letters!

Kav, you've been here long enough to know that everything you say today is forgotten tomorrow.  People aren't ignoring you. They're just senile. 

Now....

Sorry, what did you say again? 

1 minute ago, Marwood & I said:

Kav, you've been here long enough to know that everything you say today is forgotten tomorrow.  People aren't ignoring you. They're just senile. 

Now....

Sorry, what did you say again? 

I will keep saying it again and again and again and again and again and again

2 minutes ago, kav said:

I will keep saying it again and again and again and again and again and again

Saying what? I've forgotten what we were talking about?

Construing Ditko's no-nonsense attitude as rudeness is a lot of spoiled applesauce by those with no empathetic purchase, or know only nonsense themselves.
There are plenty of examples of extended corrospondence with Ditko where he reponds with continued patience and kindness, just talk with Robin Snyder about this.

With all the information we have now, folks can't pretend they don't know what Ditko's feelings and thoughts are about autographs and interviews and subjects like Spider-Man.
Persistently annoying the man about these things is rude and shows a conscious disregard of his wishes and ideas.

Ditko is not a landmark attraction, he is a person - and deserves to be treated as such. 

Edited by Unca Ben