• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Value/price of a Pence Variant Key

56 posts in this topic

I'm looking at a raw Amazing Spiderman #1 British Pence variant, but I have no idea of value vs. the American counterpart. I've heard lots of suggestions ranging from 30%-50% of American value, and some who say that to Pence collectors, it's AS valuable.

So, let's say it's about a 5.0/5.5 raw no resto. Any ideas of a fair price?

TIA

My buddy who is a big foreign collector said

Probably 60% of American but prices are changing before our eyes on foreign keys.

Raw Mexican X-men #1 just sold on Ebay for $1345. 2 years ago I paid $80.

I'm looking at a raw Amazing Spiderman #1 British Pence variant, but I have no idea of value vs. the American counterpart. I've heard lots of suggestions ranging from 30%-50% of American value, and some who say that to Pence collectors, it's AS valuable.

So, let's say it's about a 5.0/5.5 raw no resto. Any ideas of a fair price?

TIA

I wouldn't go more than 50% if you want to be on the safe side.

-J.

Were the British versions printed sooner than the German, Italian or Mexican Variants? I wonder if that would make the British ones closer in value to the American versions.

Pence copies were printed with the regular versions. Foreign language issues are just licensed modified reprints.

Were the British versions printed sooner than the German, Italian or Mexican Variants? I wonder if that would make the British ones closer in value to the American versions.

Pence copies were printed with the regular versions. Foreign language issues are just licensed modified reprints.

I know the pence copies were printed at exactly the same time. Is that true for all the other editions though? (German, Spanish, Italian)

As someone who sells pence copies regularly I can say that they normally sell for around two thirds of the value of cents copies. Two thirds is a good general rule but they have increased in demand a lot in the last five years and more often sell over two thirds than under.

My buddy who is a big foreign collector said

Probably 60% of American but prices are changing before our eyes on foreign keys.

Raw Mexican X-men #1 just sold on Ebay for $1345. 2 years ago I paid $80.

What he said!!!!! :gossip:

I know the pence copies were printed at exactly the same time. Is that true for all the other editions though? (German, Spanish, Italian)

No, foreign editions were printed later, either shortly or longer out. In the foreign collecting world we have evolved away from using the term variants for the most part. They are "editions".... (thumbs u

You need to ask yourself why you are buying a pence copy. Is it because you see it as a cheaper substitute for a cents copy or because you think pence copies are cool?

As a substitute you're going to want a much sweeter deal to make it worthwhile than you would if you actively collect pence copies.

I've often wondered why pence versions aren't more sought after by collectors. I'm guessing they have smaller print runs (and were apparently printed off before the dollar versions were in the factory) , so couldn't they be seen as a scarcer variant?

I've often wondered why pence versions aren't more sought after by collectors. I'm guessing they have smaller print runs (and were apparently printed off before the dollar versions were in the factory) , so couldn't they be seen as a scarcer variant?

Yes, much scarcer from my understanding. And, these books had to deal with some bias for many years as some collectors in the UK preferred the American original. Its funny how the market can dictate value which in turn creates scarcity in grade as books deemed of lesser value are not as taken care of or stored better. High grade pence copies are things of beauty!

I think appreciation for pence copies grows with each passing day.....

You need to ask yourself why you are buying a pence copy. Is it because you see it as a cheaper substitute for a cents copy or because you think pence copies are cool?

As a substitute you're going to want a much sweeter deal to make it worthwhile than you would if you actively collect pence copies.

To be honest, I disagree on the last part. So many key books these days are getting beyond the reach of many collectors because of increasing values and pence copies of these are becoming a lot more attractive alternative when they can be a way to afford a more attractive copy than might otherwise be available on a budget.

Yes, much scarcer from my understanding. And, these books had to deal with some bias for many years as some collectors in the UK preferred the American original. Its funny how the market can dictate value which in turn creates scarcity in grade as books deemed of lesser value are not as taken care of or stored better. High grade pence copies are things of beauty!

Yes, also collectors are better informed than they used to be. Many collectors thought that pence copies were just reprints but that misconception is slowly passing. Still many collectors prefer cents copies for uniformity and other reasons but attitudes are changing generally.

+1

This.

As American creations it's only normal for the masses to want the American printing. And yes, they were printed first. The only reason someone would want the foreign version of an American product is because it is cheaper (or if you are specifically collecting foreign editions for some reason).

Ultimately however, the market for them is much, much smaller, and if/when a "correction" in prices does occur, it will hit niche books like that first and hardest.

I would almost suggest just buying a lower graded American copy instead. It is more liquid, and you won't turn into one of "those guys" who is angry that not everyone cares for or gives any (let alone equal) "value" to foreign printings of key comic books. I certainly would not ever advise someone to pay over 50% for a pence copy, if for no other reason than as a hedge. My 2 cents.

-J.

+1

This.

As American creations it's only normal for the masses to want the American printing. And yes, they were printed first. The only reason someone would want the foreign version of an American product is because it is cheaper (or if you are specifically collecting foreign editions for some reason).

Ultimately however, the market for them is much, much smaller, and if/when a "correction" in prices does occur, it will hit niche books like that first and hardest.

I would almost suggest just buying a lower graded American copy instead. It is more liquid, and you won't turn into one of "those guys" who is angry that not everyone cares for or gives any (let alone equal) "value" to foreign printings of key comic books. I certainly would not ever advise someone to pay over 50% for a pence copy, if for no other reason than as a hedge. My 2 cents.

-J.

lol

I appreciate your opinion.... but

I like how you seem to lump all foreign collectors in the angry camp. I am actually a pretty nice guy.... :gossip:

Do I think all foreign editions should be worth more or of equal value than their American counterparts? No, of course not necessarily in all or most cases! But, in some instances I do see possibility in the future for foreign edition sales of certain key books eclipsing their American counterparts. Maybe not all the time or in all future cases... but, just like any emerging niche market the foreign market is relatively new and knowledgable collectors stand to make out very well if informed on which books are safer bets.

And if a correction does occur I see rarity being a very good insulator for foreign key value. Especially when you can count the amount of them in country on one or two hands.

+1

This.

-J.

lol

I like how you seem to lump all foreign collectors in the angry camp. I am actually a pretty nice guy.... :gossip:

Do I think all foreign editions should be worth more or of equal value than their American counterparts? No, of course not necessarily in all or most cases! But, in some instances I do see possibility in the future for foreign edition sales of certain key books eclipsing their American counterparts. Maybe not all the time or in all future cases... but, just like any emerging niche market the foreign market is relatively new and knowledgable collectors stand to make out very well if informed on which books are safer bets.

And if a correction does occur I see rarity being a very good insulator for foreign key value. Especially when you can count the amount of them in country on one or two hands.

lol Not I did not intend to imply that "all" foreign collectors are bitter because of general market perception of foreign books. I know that there are many, such as yourself, that like mixing things up with foreign versions in their collections (or collect them as a focus). There is though that other contingency that seem to get a little snippy and defensive about the "value" of their foreign copies from time to time. I think those are the ones that bought the one or two pence version of big keys as a cost saving means rather than a collecting focus. That's why I agreed with rjpb when he said unless the OP specifically focuses on foreign versions he should try for a steep discount on a pence (or just get a lower graded cents copy) so he won't have any later misgivings about his buying decision. (thumbs u

-J.

+1

This.

-J.

lol

lol Not I did not intend to imply that "all" foreign collectors are bitter because of general market perception of foreign books. I know that there are many, such as yourself, that like mixing things up with foreign versions in their collections (or collect them as a focus). There is though that other contingency that seem to get a little snippy and defensive about the "value" of their foreign copies from time to time. I think those are the ones that bought the one or two pence version of big keys as a cost saving means rather than a collecting focus. That's why I agreed with rjpb when he said unless the OP specifically focuses on foreign versions he should try for a steep discount on a pence (or just get a lower graded cents copy) so he won't have any later misgivings about his buying decision. (thumbs u

-J.

(thumbs u I can agree with that, one of things me and a few of the other hardcore guys do tell some collectors dipping their toes in the niche is this. If you are entering trying to make a quick speculative buck it can be done but more often than not you will get burned in the end. The foreign market is very chaotic and premature at the moment. Only true love will keep you whole in this thing.

Bitterness because you cant afford an American copy and the pence is your only option is one thing. Wanting to pick up a pence because it's a great book to own at a lower price than the American original combined with respect for the novelty and inherent value it adds to your collection is another. 2c

Yes, also collectors are better informed than they used to be. Many collectors thought that pence copies were just reprints but that misconception is slowly passing. Still many collectors prefer cents copies for uniformity and other reasons but attitudes are changing generally.

Page quality on pence copies is generally better, for what it's worth.

Well, it's pretty much moot at this point because I went there today to take a good look at the book, and it has 5 staples and tape up the entire spine. It also has two long CBC on the cover, so I am going to pass. A passing look thought it would be a 5.0/5.5, but now I'm leaning more towards a 4.0 (Q?) because of the staples and tape. Too bad because they were asking $1,800 which I thought was a decent price for the book. It's flat, clean and complete. Of course when I asked the front counter guy the other day, he said no restoration, but with tape and extra staples I'm not taking a chance.