• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First black suit superman??

22 posts in this topic

So, headline says it all. I know this may be an amateur question but what is the first appearance of this suit? Or first the superman comes back with the suit??

And also I'm talking about were superman dies and he comes back in the black and silver superman suit.. lol

You sure it wasn't Action #689? :gossip:

The reading order number (in the triangle) on Action #689 is 1993 / 20.

300px-Action_Comics_Vol_1_689.jpg

That's five issues before Man of Steel #25 which has the 1993 / 25 triangle.

Just re-read the Return of (the real) Superman issues.

Action #689 is the first with Kal-El (alive) after his "death" in Superman #75. He's monitoring the events on Earth involving the other "supermen" from the Fortress of Solitude (he's in the chair shown on the cover). He's wearing a solid black suit, but it has "squiggly lines" in the S-shield on his chest (no "S", but the shield is the right shape).

Man of Steel #25 has him in the black suit with an "S" in the shield on the final page only.

Superman #81 has him on the cover in the new suit and throughout the book.

I was about to say pretty much the same thing! Sir, you're quite right. AC#689 is the first appearance of post-death Kal/Superman, in the black suit with no S. First appearance of the black suit with S, back page MoS#25.

As returns go though... you can't beat "Metropolis..? Over my DEAD BODY!" stood there in that black suit. Now THAT'S Superman!