• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Key, Thor 337

19 posts in this topic

Yep, rickdogg finally converted me! I am now winning more books that I want and not bidding them up! Also, I don't get stuck with books over meaningless bidding wars! wink.gif

DD,

I don't think I'll ultimately be winning this book; your 9.6 went for over $50 and even though I love the Simonson Thors and I'm doing my best to put a CGC run together, this book is still only worth 5 bucks and I won't pay the price of $80-100 that it will ultimately get. C'mon, 20 times guide for a modern book, key or not?

Besides, the other bidder is also the other huge Thor-ite on these boards, Delekerste. I can wait for my chance at 337 and I'll keep filling in the rest of the run slowly but surely.

Still, it's fun to raise interest (and the price). At the very least I'll help Wolvermint make some cash; they deserve it for excellent service I've gotten from them in the past.

Oh my [!@#%^&^] gawd! I've been watching this auction all week and the list of insufficiently_thoughtful_persons just gets longer and longer! What the [!@#%^&^] are these people doing?!

Slabs for sale! Get your red hot slabs here! Slabs for sale! What? What's in it?! Who cares what the [!@#%^&^] is in it [!@#%^&^]! The slab is a 9.8 so just buy it you ignorant [!@#%^&^]!

Good lord. This is a sure sign of the apocalypse. Look busy guys, Jesus is coming.

OG,

This book has gotten way out of hand, but the price is merely a sign of the times. I was in Heroes & Legends in Wilmington DE the other day and they had a CGC 9.6 of the same book for sale at $125.

This book has gotten way out of hand, but the price is merely a sign of the times

Come on, no-one buys that. This book had a HUGE print run and guides for peanuts. The only reason you don't see a CGC 9.8 every five minutes on ebay is because who sends in a book the guides for $5 or so?

There are for sure THOUSANDS of 9.8s of this book out there.

The wise man would stay well away from this auction, I am very surprised that Gene has been dragged in.

they had a CGC 9.6 of the same book for sale at $125.

Thor #337?! Are you kidding! That's just insane. This is one of the only "good" back issues my local shop has. Thay have 7 copies, all priced a $6 each! Maybe no 9.6's, but some 9.4's.

You must let us know if they sell that book. $125 is absurd!

Chris

When I said it was a sign of the times, I meant that it was the norm these days for people to bid merely on the CGC label.

I don't disagree that there are probably a hundred or more copies of this book to be found in 9.8 condition or better. As a matter of fact, I've pretty much resigned myself to finding one such copy and having it graded. I want to complete my Simonson Thor collection and that's what I'll have to do for about 12 or so issues that have no CGC representation. And it's what I'll ultimately do for this issue unless a bargain comes along.

Also, you are only partially right that no-one would get this book graded for investment purposes. Darth himself turned a nice profit on a 9.4 just a couple of months ago:

Darth's Thor

And, as people become aware of prices such as the one being discussed in this thread, more and more of this issue will start to show up at CGC's doorstep.

$161.38!!!

A heck of a final price for such a value-less book. I can't even begin to imagine how much a Amazing Spider-man 252, to name one modern semi-key contemporary, CGC 9.8 with white pages would go for.

And wouldn't you know it; it's Heroes & Legends that wins the book; the very same store that I was talking about before that has a 9.6 of the same book for sale for $125. Guess this one will be on the shelves for $200 or so.

Saw everyones comments on this book and it ended at $161.38 just like ARIAMUS stated already. Checked OS guide and it is only $8.00 book, but as it goes you have a high graded book and match them with someone who really wants it and whala a sale. Congrats to the winner hope he collected it for his personal collect.

I love Thor....

Beta Ray Bill is the man......

$160 Bucks for a copy of 337.......ahhhh I don't think so !!!

I'd probably pay $30 bucks for a 9.8, but I just don't want to shell out big bucks for moderns that aren't rare.