• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Met a Documented Fearless Front Facer - New! Image of Certificate.

75 posts in this topic

I got a call from a local Chicago collector who was looking to move some original owner SA books. Nothing spectacular - all were well-read low/mid-grade copies. While I'm inspecting them we're chatting about buying comics back in the 60s. I'm 64 and he's 63. Somehow the conversation moves to the MMMS and Stan's ranking of fans back them. There were 6 ranks - all with Stan's typical goofy descriptions we all loved. I remember that I attained 5 of the 6 ranks since I received a No-Prize and had a letter printed.

The 6th level was FFF - Fearless Front Facer. This was an honor that only Stan could bestow on you for doing something above and beyond being simply a fan.

Anyway, we're chatting away about this and he tells me that he was given the rank of FFF by Stan himself. I said no way - and asked what he did to receive such an honor.

Get this, it turns out that he wrote Stan a letter and asked him to give Agent 13 a name. He told me that his letter pointed out how Cap and Agent 13 had been going out for over two years and that she deserved a name. And to top it off he suggested Sharon Carter since it was an all-American sounding name that wouldn't irritate any particular ethnic group. Stan agreed and Sharon Carter's name was revealed in Cap 103 or 104.

This fellow goes into another room and returns with the FFF certificate signed by The Man himself. It was the coolest thing I ever saw! I actually met the guy who named a Marvel character!

That is a great story!

A picture or scan of the cert would be cool as I'm sure many, including myself, have never seen one.

I wish I had taken a photo. It never occurred to me until I was home.

I never knew there was such a thing

Yes, that was back in the days when Marvel was run by actual human beings with real empathy and a connection to fans, not a faceless, greedy corporation administered by the Devil himself.

I got a call from a local Chicago collector who was looking to move some original owner SA books. Nothing spectacular - all were well-read low/mid-grade copies. While I'm inspecting them we're chatting about buying comics back in the 60s. I'm 64 and he's 63. Somehow the conversation moves to the MMMS and Stan's ranking of fans back them. There were 6 ranks - all with Stan's typical goofy descriptions we all loved. I remember that I attained 5 of the 6 ranks since I received a No-Prize and had a letter printed.

The 6th level was FFF - Fearless Front Facer. This was an honor that only Stan could bestow on you for doing something above and beyond being simply a fan.

Anyway, we're chatting away about this and he tells me that he was given the rank of FFF by Stan himself. I said no way - and asked what he did to receive such an honor.

Get this, it turns out that he wrote Stan a letter and asked him to give Agent 13 a name. He told me that his letter pointed out how Cap and Agent 13 had been going out for over two years and that she deserved a name. And to top it off he suggested Sharon Carter since it was an all-American sounding name that wouldn't irritate any particular ethnic group. Stan agreed and Sharon Carter's name was revealed in Cap 103 or 104.

This fellow goes into another room and returns with the FFF certificate signed by The Man himself. It was the coolest thing I ever saw! I actually met the guy who named a Marvel character!

Its political correctness gone mad.

No wonder my suggestion of Sofia Nazeer got knocked back.

No you're not. You're 28, and I'm 16.

It's been a long time, hasn't it. (thumbs u

I came up with Peter Palmer for Spider-man's alter ego. We wrestled over the name even during the production of the first issue. Stan's a good wrestler.

:insane:

That is a super cool story though. I doubt there are that many level 6's. I hope that certificate gets handed down to someone that will appreciate it.

I came up with Peter Palmer for Spider-man's alter ego.

meh