• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dallas Fan Expo (Dallas Comicon) -- June 3-5, 2016

212 posts in this topic

Had a great time at the show on Friday. It seemed to me that there were a lot more people that showed up as the show opened than in previous years. Busy from the get go. I am sure Saturday will be a mad house. Can't wait for day 2!

First day was surprisingly crowded. There was a Harley Yee sighting !!!

Saturday was crazy, barely made it onto the floor. Spent the day at the Dark Knight III panel, got a few autographs, went to Frank Miller's panel, ran back got in his autograph line. That line was craaaazy, the VIP lanyard paid off for this one. A friend of a friend brought his sketch of Wolverine Frank had done for him in 80 or 81 at Lone Star Comics. The cool part of the sketch was it was the first time Frank had drawn Wolverine. Frank remembered the sketch and even personalized it with a note that it was the first time he had drawn the character.

I will say between the two panels I really enjoyed the Frank Miller solo panel. If he goes forward with his vision to "Millerize" Superman I think it could be really special.

Looking forward to tomorrow can't help but feel it will be as crazy or crazier with McFarlane.

In the McFarlane line now, evidently they handed wristbands out as the doors opened by the arena and did not bother to tell anyone. The wristband line was capped at 175 and it was total chaos. Luckily someone from Fan Expo staff showed and assured VIP badge holders would get a signature, disaster averted. So it's going to be a couple of hours of standing around. Oh what fun.

Saturday was crazy, barely made it onto the floor. Spent the day at the Dark Knight III panel, got a few autographs, went to Frank Miller's panel, ran back got in his autograph line. That line was craaaazy, the VIP lanyard paid off for this one. A friend of a friend brought his sketch of Wolverine Frank had done for him in 80 or 81 at Lone Star Comics. The cool part of the sketch was it was the first time Frank had drawn Wolverine. Frank remembered the sketch and even personalized it with a note that it was the first time he had drawn the character.

I will say between the two panels I really enjoyed the Frank Miller solo panel. If he goes forward with his vision to "Millerize" Superman I think it could be really special.

Looking forward to tomorrow can't help but feel it will be as crazy or crazier with McFarlane.

How did the DK3 and Miller panel work? As well, the Frank Miller signing? How many autographs? Does the VIP pass give you line by pass to it? As well, anything else we should be aware of? I assume it will be the same format at FanExpo Canada, just want to know what I should be expecting.

How did the DK3 and Miller panel work? As well, the Frank Miller signing? How many autographs? Does the VIP pass give you line by pass to it? As well, anything else we should be aware of? I assume it will be the same format at FanExpo Canada, just want to know what I should be expecting.

This may get confusing but try to hang with me. Here is what happened in Dallas: The DKIII panel was open to anyone and they handed out wristbands at the door that guaranteed you a single free Frank Miller autograph as well as the DKII team. 3-4 hours later they lined us up with those with the signature package going first. This was the package that got you 3 items signed by the DKII team for like $299 I believe. Wristband holders were next where they put us in order of your badge. Then those without wristbands were lined up in order according to their badge, VIP, Premiere and General Admission. In other words if you had a VIP badge and a wristband you went after the signature package folks. I'm not sure if they worked in VIP's without wristbands as the non VIP wristband holders were getting their autographs or just waited until they were finished. My advice would be to get there no later than 30 minutes before the panel to guarantee a wristband.

Now for the McFarlane signing, other than screwing folks by just handing out wristbands in an unannounced area when the doors opened, they let VIP's go first and did not require a wristband. Then they took the wristband holders. They probably should have done the same thing during the Miller signing but I lucked out and got a wristband. They may change it there. Hopefully they will have the system down by then.

On an unrealted note I thought the DKIII panel was just ho-hum, the Frank solo panel was spectacular.

This may get confusing but try to hang with me. Here is what happened in Dallas: The DKIII panel was open to anyone and they handed out wristbands at the door that guaranteed you a single free Frank Miller autograph as well as the DKII team. 3-4 hours later they lined us up with those with the signature package going first. This was the package that got you 3 items signed by the DKII team for like $299 I believe. Wristband holders were next where they put us in order of your badge. Then those without wristbands were lined up in order according to their badge, VIP, Premiere and General Admission. In other words if you had a VIP badge and a wristband you went after the signature package folks. I'm not sure if they worked in VIP's without wristbands as the non VIP wristband holders were getting their autographs or just waited until they were finished. My advice would be to get there no later than 30 minutes before the panel to guarantee a wristband.

Now for the McFarlane signing, other than screwing folks by just handing out wristbands in an unannounced area when the doors opened, they let VIP's go first and did not require a wristband. Then they took the wristband holders. They probably should have done the same thing during the Miller signing but I lucked out and got a wristband. They may change it there. Hopefully they will have the system down by then.

On an unrealted note I thought the DKIII panel was just ho-hum, the Frank solo panel was spectacular.

For FanExpo Canada they only have 2 packages, Frank Miller & DK3 Platinum Experience $1295 CDN it's a meet and greet, that also includes a Miller sketch and they have the Frank Miller Fan Experience $129 CDN (preferred seating at Miller Panel and line bypass at Miller signing), no DK3 Team. No opportunity for 3 free sigs, only in the Platinum Experience.

For FanExpo Canada they only have 2 packages, Frank Miller & DK3 Platinum Experience $1295 CDN it's a meet and greet, that also includes a Miller sketch and they have the Frank Miller Fan Experience $129 CDN (preferred seating at Miller Panel and line bypass at Miller signing), no DK3 Team. No opportunity for 3 free sigs, only in the Platinum Experience.

Are they doing a Frank solo panel? If so they may be handing out wristbands during that time. It would be hard for me to believe there would be no opportunity for free signature like Dallas.

What I have noticed is that it has not been clear what is happening, but yes there will be a free autograph signing, but nothing mentioned about a DK3 panel or 3 free autographs for a fee, beyond the Platinum Experience. I have a VIP badge and purchased the Miller Fan Experience to give me priority seating at his panel and line-by-pass at his signing, but money may have been wasted if my VIP badge gives me the same. When I emailed FanExpo before I purchased the Fan Experience they weren't able to give me any details of how things were working with Frank or the team.

Hopefully way before September they give you some clarification. I'm not sure the details of the free autograph session were released unitl a month or less before the Dallas show. Before then I had no idea there would be a free autograph opportunity.

Hopefully way before September they give you some clarification. I'm not sure the details of the free autograph session were released unitl a month or less before the Dallas show. Before then I had no idea there would be a free autograph opportunity.

Thanks! Last questions, how/when did they mention the DK3 panel and the 3 purchased autograph signing? Don't see any mention of either on the Dallas website. As well, how many autographs per person in the Frank Miller free signing?

Miller at Megacon and Dallas:

11am DC hosted DK3 panel at the panel autograph tickets handed out for the 4pm signing.

Noon private Platinum Experience panel and signing 3 items per person per creator. Not public.

Break

3pm celebrity q&a with Miller

4pm Miller public signing. 1 item per person, Miller Experience people plus VIP with ticket/wristband at the morning panel then anyone with a premium/deluxe/Saturday pass who got a ticket/wristband that was given at the morning panel - extra people were taken in after all ticketed and experience people let in. Klaus sat with Frank at the table in Dallas.

A DC Comics hosted panel was not part of the original plan, they came on board a couple of weeks before each event.

Miller at Megacon and Dallas:

11am DC hosted DK3 panel at the panel autograph tickets handed out for the 4pm signing.

Noon private Platinum Experience panel and signing 3 items per person per creator. Not public.

Break

3pm celebrity q&a with Miller

4pm Miller public signing. 1 item per person, Miller Experience people plus VIP with ticket/wristband at the morning panel then anyone with a premium/deluxe/Saturday pass who got a ticket/wristband that was given at the morning panel - extra people were taken in after all ticketed and experience people let in. Klaus sat with Frank at the table in Dallas.

A DC Comics hosted panel was not part of the original plan, they came on board a couple of weeks before each event.

Thanks Kevin! Glad you are feeling better!

Do you know if there is only 1 Miller public signing or is there 1 each day in Toronto? Fan Experience was sold for Saturday and Sunday?

The other autograph package was offered after the platinum experience sold out and is not shown on the website any longer. The folks that got that package told us there were three autographs allowed. We talked to them after their signings and saw their books, We were curious as originally their tag looked similar to the platinum expereince. Frank only signed Saturday at Dallas.