• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aquaman Movie - July 27, 2018
3 3

1,035 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Another example - film analysts generally agreed Justice League (which cost $300M to produce before marketing costs) needed just $750M theatrical worldwide to break even.

Notably, that's a 2.5x multipler, not a 4.5x one.

Also notably, it did not hit that mark, grossing only $658M worldwide.

Aquaman is now poised to surpass Justice League's worldwide total by this Monday, and to beat it by every metric by Jan. 15.

Even James Cameron would be impressed.

Agreed.  With FF7, James Wan is killing it with blockbusters.

https://www.cbr.com/james-wan-new-blockbuster-king/

I agree with the statement that A- with Cinemascores is very telling about it's reception with audiences..

Edited by Wolverinex

2 hours ago, paperheart said:

using this bizarre "math" which ignores the hugely profitable home entertainment, tv market- 9 of the 20 MCU movies lost $. :roflmao: Kevin Feige should be fired.

Either that or they need to hire JD to cook the books for them and spin the story which ever way Marvel wants it to come out.  lol

Saw it last night. Went in with low expectations and was still sorely disappointed. The story was by the numbers with zero surprises and 'twists' telegraphed (nautical) miles away. I didn't bother staying for the after credits scene as I correctly predicted exactly what it was to my buddy who saw it. One of the problems were that nobody looked like they were swimming or even underwater. They mostly just walked around on the floors (why do they have floors) then floated up dramatically from time to time. The humour was mostly Mamoa saying 'awesome' while chuckling about something. A few nitpicks - when Momoa lifted part of a building off a guy that was trapped as soon as he was clear he ran away. What? He was trapped under rubble and he's uninjured? There's more stuff like that that will come to me later, I'm sure.

Spoiler

Momoa's character arc was awful. He straight up let someone die. Not something a normal person would do let alone a superhero. At the weird battle climax he bursts out of the ground on a sea monster killing friends and foes alike. Crab men are on you side? Who cares? It looks awesome, I guess. 

The scene that turned it from a weird mess of a movie to an outstandingly bad one was the scene where the camera pans around his and Mera's kiss during the battle. People are dying in colourful explosions that are made to look like fireworks going off. I was flabbergasted at the director's choice for that scene.

All in all one of the worst pictures of the year.

Final point: how does one practice getting a trident thrown at their head? I mean, there's zero room for error, is there?

I saw it today for the first time -- I liked the energy of it, the colors, and the trench scene, but overall a fairly predictable and flat movie (lots of exposition, no significant character arcs).  Also, I think the actor playing Ocean Master was miscast.  The juxtaposition of the menacing music for him and his actual sense of threat was really funny to me. 

Overall, the acting was actually better than I expected, but the -script was worse.  The tone, the feel, the music all moved around a bit much for my taste as well.  Entertaining at times, but nothing about it will stick with me.  Grade:  C

Just saw it tonight ....... the Good: it was visually very well done, Black Manta and Ocean Master were good comicbook representations, it was a fun turn your brain off movie,

the Bad: the acting was not great and the writing/dialogue was terrible, story line was predictable, and a lot of plot holes.

Overall not a good movie - it was better than Suicide Squad and Justice League, but much worse than BvS and Wonder Woman and Man of Steel

On 12/26/2018 at 7:31 PM, kimik said:

The CGI and underwater world that Wan developed was amazing. Hopefully they can lock him in for the sequel. :wishluck:

didnt the 'water' look exactly like air tho?

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea had more realistic underwater scenes-

Edited by kav

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

Daughter went to see it with her teenage friends tonight. 7PM Theater showings were sold out. She got the last tickets 30 minutes before movie started. I am sure it has to do with kids being out of school.

WB spending $5MM a day on tickets to get this to $900MM and break even :idea:

25 minutes ago, kav said:

didnt the 'water' look exactly like air tho?

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea had more realistic underwater scenes-

which scene looks more like its under water?  (note completely dry looking hair)

wallpaper_creature.jpg

aquaman-movie-photos-01-1147760.jpeg

Spoiler

Finally got to see it last night. I was very impressed overall. There were some things (plot holes) that bother me that maybe someone here can help me sort out 'cause maybe I blinked and missed something. Aquaman stopped the pirates from taking the sub, but later same sub (?) attacks? How? Torpedo room was trashed in the fight. Orm was behind the pirates taking the sub for the purpose of making this attack to prove his point and paid Black Manta and said he was done with him, but later gives him Atlantean weaponry which he then fashions into Black Manta costume. What did I miss here? How and why did they re-connect?

On another point, Aquaman could have saved Black Manta's dad and choose not too citing their lack of mercy for all the sailors they killed trying to pirate the sub. Sorry, but that was a complete fail and not what a real hero would or anyone worth their salt would do even thought he had just took his best shot trying to kill Aquaman. A better --script would have at least shown Aquaman start to try to save the guy, only to have him blow himself up in the hopes of taking out Aquaman too, after of course having his son step aside to let Aquaman do his thing. Worse yet, at no point later in the movie did Aquaman ever show any doubt or remorse over that decision to turn his back on Black Manta's dad. 

Also, throughout I movie, I was constantly remined of how this was just playing out as an underwater Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Edited by Jaylam

56 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

On another point, Aquaman could have saved Black Manta's dad and choose not too citing their lack of mercy for all the sailors they killed trying to pirate the sub. Sorry, but that was a complete fail and not what a real hero would or anyone worth their salt would do even thought he had just took his best shot trying to kill Aquaman. A better ---script would have at least shown Aquaman start to try to save the guy, only to have him blow himself up in the hopes of taking out Aquaman too, after of course having his son step aside to let Aquaman do his thing. Worse yet, at no point later in the movie did Aquaman ever show any doubt or remorse over that decision to turn his back on Black Manta's dad. 

I thought it was a great homage to the Peter Parker/Uncle Ben killer concept. Later in the film Aquaman shows remorse when talking with Mera about creating an enemy by letting his father die. The whole film was basically showing him evolve from a drunk self-absorbed half breed into a hero. 

Edited by kimik

31 minutes ago, kimik said:

I thought it was a great homage to the Peter Parker/Uncle Ben killer concept. Later in the film Aquaman shows remorse when talking with Mera about creating an enemy by letting his father die. The whole film was basically showing him evolve from a drunk self-absorbed half breed into a hero. 

Remorse? He mentioned it but it was more a casual aside than anything else. Spider-Man didn't stop a thief. Aquaman was complicit in a man's death. No way are these equal. Also, Aquaman was already a hero in Justice League. These events happened after. 

Edited by Juno Beach

2 hours ago, paperheart said:

$14.6MM Thurs, could be $45-50MM weekend, $70-75MM 5 day =$205MM+ thru New Year's on its way to 4x+ multiple of $290MM+ US.  China $265MM.  $445MM other Int'l needed to hit $1BB, may be out of reach.  #oceanicprofits

So after one full week of release Aquaman's at $137.2 million.

That's 4.9% ahead of Justice League at the same point and 7.8% behind Wonder Woman.