• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SD CC to do list for a newbie

12 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I'm heading to Comic Con SD this year with a few friends and we're all first-timers.

I was wondering if some of the CC vets could offer some words of advice or wisdom on what to do (i.e. must see events, etc.) vs. what not to do (i.e. things that waste your time, etc.)

We were lucky enough to get badges for Thursday and Sunday only... (better than nothing)

What should be on our to do list??

Thanks

I would avoid Hall H where all the celebrities are. You can spend all day in a line up and maybe not get in to see what you want to see. Sometimes people bring tents and sleep in them overnight in order to stay in line up to try and get in and see those panels. People are crazy for big name celebrities.

Cosplayers are for the most part fine. You'll get a mix of course. If you're going to take a picture, make sure to ask first and try not to do the pic in a busy isle where you're blocking traffic.

There are panels you can go to and I'd recommend that. A creator you might like might be talking for an hour about their career or about a particular topic. Sergio Aragones, best known for MAD magazine, is always entertaining at convention panels. Still, I'd recommend going early as you might need to get into a line up and depending on how popular the creator is, the room might fill to capacity.

If you are a real comic nerd, there is often a Comic Trivia Panel where it's fans vs pro's on Sunday and it's typically the last panel of the convention. Who is on the Pro side is mainly in flux, with Len Wein being the usual constant. Once upon a time Mark Waid and Kurt Busiek used to participate and would kick everybody asses. Waid is usually too busy at San Diego now and Busiek rarely goes to San Diego anymore.

If you want to know what panels are like and the Trivia panel is like, I have audio recordings on my site at http://www.thecomicbooks.com/audio.html. I've got a bunch of different conventions on there, but scroll down and you'll see San Diego 2008 to 2014 within them.

Things have changed a lot in 22 years since my first visit, but based on the last time I went in 2004, I'd second the opinion to stay away from the celebrities if possible.

Check out the original art exhibition. Some really cool stuff there.

If you're a fan of movies, there's some pretty great 24 hour rooms showing genre flick in the surrounding complex, or at least there used to be. (I slept in one way back in the day)

See the city as much as you can, because it's a terrific town.

Other than that, just roam around the sales floor and take it all in. Have fun and be thankful that you've got a ticket.

My first trip was when I was 17. I slept in someone else's hotel room, crashed a huge bat mitzvah in one of the surrounding convention hotels, and almost got mugged at a gas station. Best trip of my life.

good advice! Thanks guys.

I figured the celebrities would be a waste of time. I had read on a blog that waiting in line for panels was a great way to waste an entire day in line.

I'm a fan of movies, original art - sounds like the trivia panel would be cool to see...

Can't wait.

I do intend to spend some time on the sales floor (looking to snag a slabbed Hulk 181) - how are prices at the Con? best to wait until Sunday afternoon, or is that a myth?

Things to do: Go to Dick's Last Resort

Things to avoid: Dick's Last Resort

( lol All depends on how you feel about the shtick. My memory is the food is good, but it's been over a decade since I was there.)

And since it's been over a decade since I was there last - closer to a decade and a half - I can't tell you much about the convention itself, as I hear it has changed so much. I can't imagine what it is like now, because it was kinda crazy full back then, and it's supposedly worse now.

But the Gaslamp Quarter is nice, so if you have time don't spend it all at the Con.

Hey all,

I'm heading to Comic Con SD this year with a few friends and we're all first-timers.

I was wondering if some of the CC vets could offer some words of advice or wisdom on what to do (i.e. must see events, etc.) vs. what not to do (i.e. things that waste your time, etc.)

We were lucky enough to get badges for Thursday and Sunday only... (better than nothing)

What should be on our to do list??

Thanks

Congrats on snagging a ticket for a couple of days. Starting this Thursday, the programming will be released. Take a look at it, as it is quite extensive. For your first time there, you probably want to stay away from Hall H, as you can easily spend (waste??) most of your time in line. Same goes for Ballroom 20. But panels in all other rooms might be something to consider.

But for comics, they are concentrated in the Gold/Silver Pavilion. I also suggest roaming the dealers floor, which is HUGE! Artist's Alley is neat to walk. I have found Thursday is not too bad, but Sunday can be difficult to walk around (not sure why). There is original art for sale, t-shirts, toys, displays, movie posters, bags and boards, etc. It is very easy to exceed your budget.

As for food, the convention venues are crowded, expensive and lousy. I suggest hitting the Gaslamp district about 11:30 AM (or around 2:30 PM), so as to avoid the lunch crowd. Who wants to kill 1.5 to 2 hours for lunch, when you can be at the convention. It can take me 12 minutes to walk to Horton Plaza, 15 minutes for lunch, and 12 minutes to walk back. And the lunch is decent.

For dinner, you really want to eat in the Gaslamp district. The restaurants are varied and most of them are good. Plus who doesn't want to eat in a restaurant where Spider-Man is sitting at the table next to you. But remember, it can get a little crowded with the Convention goers spilling into the same area. Some places may have a 45 minute wait, unless you have a reservation. And other places may have no waiting. The Convention site just released a restaurant guide. I suggest taking a look now.

For Thursday and Friday, San Diego is great for sight seeing. Consult AAA or try some sites on the web for tips. If you find yourself near the convention, you can go to some of the exhibits near the Convention Center that are free.

Take lots of money, be organized and make sure you give yourself a few minutes to get to certain panels or restaurants or dealers. I have not found that the best deals are to be had on Sunday. Usually some of the good books are gone by then.

Ok, the most important thing...are the bathrooms. They usually get overwhelmed by the sheer number of people in the building. So, I suggest you go early in the day. Of course, if your body isn't cooperating and you have to go in the middle of the day. I recommend using the bathrooms on the second floor in the back of the convention center. Of course, it might take 10 minutes to get there, because of all the people.

Have fun! :banana:

This is going to be my 2nd time. I highly suggest mapping out what you want to do because there is way too much things to do and see.

Most exclusives have huge lines and sometimes you will get into the line just to get a ticket to come back later.

I attended hall H my first time and it was a great experience. I did not care for the celebs but seeing the previews and getting more info on the movies was quite fun. Worth experiencing it once.

Bring your own snacks and water because it's going to be expensive to eat out and going to be a long wait as well.

Wear comfortable shoes.

Bring something to entertain you while you wait in line.

aside from the obvious convention amenities, I would recommend touring the 20+ comic shops within a 15-20 mile radius. Some of these mom and pop shop operations can't afford the booth space that SDCC demands and they usually have special deals to draw in customers who are attending the week event.