• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hmmm, who does this LP cover art remind you of?

25 posts in this topic

For example, Peter Gabriel wrote an entire short story about the double album's central character Rael within "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" and included it on the inside to help explain the music.

...and that started the entire timeline that led to him leaving the band.

Among a cornucopia of other issues. :)

It's funny. They just released a wonderful Genesis documentary titled "Genesis: Together and Apart." And now Steve Hackett is pissed because he feels it didn't showcase his solo career in the same way as the other members. So now he's refusing to advertise the doc on his website.

That's because he and Tony Banks had the least successful solo careers (rather improbably, Mike Rutherford had quite a bit of commercial success), but Banks stayed in the band so had a lot more leverage on the documentary. So not surprisingly, Hackett got the least coverage.

Which is too bad, because he was a great guitarist and really helped to define the original Genesis sound. His guitar solo from Firth of Fifth is one of my favorite solos of all time.

...that all came later. The story was the catalyst that started it all because without that Friedkin would never have called him, he wouldn't have thought about another viable career that would give him more time with his family, and so on... :)

It's funny. They just released a wonderful Genesis documentary titled "Genesis: Together and Apart." And now Steve Hackett is pissed because he feels it didn't showcase his solo career in the same way as the other members. So now he's refusing to advertise the doc on his website.

That's why he left the band in the first place...he didn't think he got equal input or equal credit. I love Hackett's solo stuff, but...bitter much, Stevie? Enough already.

That's because he and Tony Banks had the least successful solo careers (rather improbably, Mike Rutherford had quite a bit of commercial success), but Banks stayed in the band so had a lot more leverage on the documentary. So not surprisingly, Hackett got the least coverage.

Banks got the most coverage because of all the members, he IS Genesis. Take him away and the band sounds completely different...leave him in and take any other member out and it's still Genesis.

Which is too bad, because he was a great guitarist and really helped to define the original Genesis sound. His guitar solo from Firth of Fifth is one of my favorite solos of all time.

I used to always choose his version over Stuermer's, but now I really appreciate Daryl's version more. I don't know...it could be the whining over the years that soured me. :)

For example, Peter Gabriel wrote an entire short story about the double album's central character Rael within "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" and included it on the inside to help explain the music.

...and that started the entire timeline that led to him leaving the band.

Agree on all counts. :)

There's also some lingering issues with Hackett. The band really bent over backwards to keep Hackett in the group after Gabriel left. He was demanding more writing exposure, and the guitar brought forward; and they gave it to him on the next two albums (which includes some of my favorites). But then he shocked the band when he announced that he was leaving to pursue a solo career - they were pretty vocal about it. They felt screwed. So he's not as close as some of the other members are. He's also the Noob. lol And that's actually a big deal in many bands.