• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

US vs UK editions

242 posts in this topic

And speaking of ultra-rare "foreign reprints" - here's another one of my pride and joys...

Triumph no.772 from Aug 1939 (British)

Superman's 1st appearance outside America

original cover by John McCail

Tri%20792_zpshauyfwod.jpg

I've a few Triumph,but not anything that nifty!! (worship)

Any chance of seeing inside?

And speaking of ultra-rare "foreign reprints" - here's another one of my pride and joys...

Triumph no.772 from Aug 1939 (British)

Superman's 1st appearance outside America

original cover by John McCail

Tri%20792_zpshauyfwod.jpg

I sold a bound edition of the editors copies of several years worth of this including this book which was signed by the editor (who happened to be the father of someone I knew). In retrospect, I sold it too cheaply as it resold for far higher soon afterwards. :cry:

IME the Triumph supes always sell very well, but my gosh I had no idea that Alan Class were getting that kind of money!

The amount of times I used to view collections and they've been Class reprints, I'd pick them up if cheap enough but I'd only ever sell them at 50p a pop. Tbh I quite liked them as they sit well in a box because of the square spines.

I wonder what the first Marvel 'pence' issue was? Anyone know?

If any U.S. dealers/collectors (or elsewhere) are truly selling U.K. edition high grade 60's Marvels at 50-55% of U.S. versions please pm me links to your website / books. :wishluck:

X-Men #1 CGC 9.2 UK auction in progress:

http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=29861645

Single highest graded copy on the census, possibly the highest graded Silver Age UK key period.

IME the Triumph supes always sell very well, but my gosh I had no idea that Alan Class were getting that kind of money!

The amount of times I used to view collections and they've been Class reprints, I'd pick them up if cheap enough but I'd only ever sell them at 50p a pop. Tbh I quite liked them as they sit well in a box because of the square spines.

It's only really the very early issues - or those that reprint Marvel keys that get significant sums

However, any pre-decimal in good shape will sell well

I have quite an extensive collection of them - some are very very hard to find - 30th Century Comics have an excellent guide to them on-line

The hardest to find IMO is Creepy Worlds no.32 which reprints FF no.1

closely followed by the TOS 39 / Sinister Tales no.23

If any U.S. dealers/collectors (or elsewhere) are truly selling U.K. edition high grade 60's Marvels at 50-55% of U.S. versions please pm me links to your website / books. :wishluck:

Single highest graded copy on the census, possibly the highest graded Silver Age UK key period.

:popcorn:

from Duncan's web-site

The first distributed Marvel comics in the UK were under the publishing banner of Atlas. They were introduced in waves across the cover dates of May, Jun and Jul 1960. Some issues were monthly, some published 8 times a year and some bi-monthly at the time. To my knowledge the first issues (14 in total) of the titles were:

A Date with Millie #5 (Jun), Gunsmoke Western #58 (May), Journey into Mystery #58 (May), Kathy #5 (Jun), Kid Colt Outlaw #90 (May), Millie the Model #96 (May), My Girl Pearl #7 (Aug), Patsy Walker #89 (Jun), Patsy and Hedy #70 (Jun), Rawhide Kid #17 (Aug), Strange Tales #75 (Jun), Tales of Suspense #10 (Jul), Tales to Astonish #10 (Jul), Two-Gun Kid #54 (Jun).

Patsy and Hedy #70 UK

Tales of Suspense #10 UK

More research is needed. The only UK pence copies I have are Tales of Suspense #10 and Patsy and Hedy #70.

It is possible that there were 'market testers' or 'make-weight' pence copy variants of Tales of Suspense #9 and Tales to Astonish #9 but I have not seen them. Anyone out there know differently?

Wow what a stunning book

what's the story on it if we can ask?

So far, no PMs. :sorry:

But why am I not surprised? :cool:

Wow what a stunning book

what's the story on it if we can ask?

Wow - that thing has been slabbed for a long time.

:gossip: Auctions.

-J.

+1 (thumbs u this 50-55% thing is bullcrap, they either sell equivalent or darn near. I would and have actually payed more for the UK editions.

Also see Cents v Pence

This is Duncan McAlpine's excellent site to give credit!!!

thanks Ewan, that's a concise and well done site...

regards

Interesting how that linked article also says the cents/pence price disparity is about 50%, average. hm

-J.

You mean this bit?

"It remains an inescapable fact that at the moment cents copies are valued higher than pence copies. Currently, general issues of pence copies seem to be valued at about a half compared to cents copies in the lower grades. From about Very Fine condition onwards the gap tends to widen to perhaps a third of the US value. Key issues in cents in very high grades tend to be stratospheric!"

Also see Cents v Pence

This is Duncan McAlpine's excellent site to give credit!!!

thanks Ewan, that's a concise and well done site...

regards

Interesting how that linked article also says the cents/pence price disparity is about 50%, average. hm

-J.

You mean this bit?

"It remains an inescapable fact that at the moment cents copies are valued higher than pence copies. Currently, general issues of pence copies seem to be valued at about a half compared to cents copies in the lower grades. From about Very Fine condition onwards the gap tends to widen to perhaps a third of the US value. Key issues in cents in very high grades tend to be stratospheric!"

Yes. (thumbs u

And upon a second reading, the author actually puts the range of the disparity between 30-50% FMV of cents.

The article probably is a few years old, however, and the market for pence copies is indeed stronger now than it was then. Garry (the UK dealer) is not incorrect when he states that sometimes pence copies can fetch up to 70% cents FMV. I am also correct when I say they will fetch as little as 40% (particularly in higher grade, as Garry also mentioned).

Taken together, and adjusting for an improvement in the pence market since that article was written, a current weighted average of about 50-55% (versus the 30-50% when that article was written a few years ago) is not only the more likely figure, it is also the most reasonable. My 2 pence.

-J.