• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman The Killing Joke Animated Movie

215 posts in this topic

Theater was packed last night when the wife and I went. I wasn't overly impressed or overly disappointed. Hamill was excellent, Conroy seemed tired or something throughout.

Like others have said, I doubt I'll watch it again on purpose. I think the interview with Hamill prior to the feature was my favorite part.

I didn't totally love it, but it was still pretty good overall. "Mask of the Phantasm" is still the definitive animated movie and, if this couldn't top it, I don't think anything will.

Hamill was superb and seeing the BTS featurette bookends was amazing. He really throws himself into that character.

Conroy's voice was as I feared -- it's just not as deep, strong or powerful as it used to be. I'm not sure if he tried a new spin or that range just isn't there anymore, but it lacked. I say that with the idea that his vintage performance is lauded by many, myself included, as the definitive interpretation of the character, so it's an incredibly tough act for anyone to follow, even the man himself.

Barbara's prologue was great. The Bat-bangin' was unsettling and seemed forced, but I give them credit for trying to evolve these characters beyond their small assigned boxes. They're humans, or, at least, we want to identify with them as real humans to become invested in the story, so why not try to flesh them out in new dimensions. Just like with the street girls talking about how the Joker likes to get some action first thing when he breaks out of the asylum. It was worth a shot and the majority audience reaction where I saw it was more "Yeah, get it!" than "Stop, you're ruining everything", so I think many took it lightly.

I also thought the fight scenes were particularly well done. Choreography was clear, well-plotted with realistic moves and felt powerful.

I didn't like the pacing in the "We need to talk" scene (I read that sequence as a measured, methodical delivery -- the movie went about twice as quickly as I would've thought), or the gunshot slo-mo when Barb gets shot (at least the whole sequence wasn't that way, but I prefer it in real time, so it hits you like it does Barbara with only a fraction of a second to comprehend what's happening and then it's too late). The final sequence fell a bit flat, too, which is odd since the comic has such a beautiful, theatrical close.

Oh, and did anyone else notice Jason's face a la Batman 428 when Bruce had all the Joker images on the screens in the cave? Seemed to imply that Death in the Family events already happened, which would really put this story in a weird place, continuity-wise. Not sure if they did that to acknowledge "Red Hood" which has already been released.

Again, I did enjoy it, but I don't think this movie could've been the 6-star extravaganza many of us hoped it would be. I'll buy the DVD and watch it some more, but, yeah, "Mask of the Phantasm" is still the king.

When Bruce was looking at the screens in the Batcave, there was an image of a dead and bloody Jason Todd from Death in the Family on one of the screens.

I didn't totally love it, but it was still pretty good overall. "Mask of the Phantasm" is still the definitive animated movie and, if this couldn't top it, I don't think anything will.

Hamill was superb and seeing the BTS featurette bookends was amazing. He really throws himself into that character.

Conroy's voice was as I feared -- it's just not as deep, strong or powerful as it used to be. I'm not sure if he tried a new spin or that range just isn't there anymore, but it lacked. I say that with the idea that his vintage performance is lauded by many, myself included, as the definitive interpretation of the character, so it's an incredibly tough act for anyone to follow, even the man himself.

Barbara's prologue was great. The Bat-bangin' was unsettling and seemed forced, but I give them credit for trying to evolve these characters beyond their small assigned boxes. They're humans, or, at least, we want to identify with them as real humans to become invested in the story, so why not try to flesh them out in new dimensions. Just like with the street girls talking about how the Joker likes to get some action first thing when he breaks out of the asylum. It was worth a shot and the majority audience reaction where I saw it was more "Yeah, get it!" than "Stop, you're ruining everything", so I think many took it lightly.

I also thought the fight scenes were particularly well done. Choreography was clear, well-plotted with realistic moves and felt powerful.

I didn't like the pacing in the "We need to talk" scene (I read that sequence as a measured, methodical delivery -- the movie went about twice as quickly as I would've thought), or the gunshot slo-mo when Barb gets shot (at least the whole sequence wasn't that way, but I prefer it in real time, so it hits you like it does Barbara with only a fraction of a second to comprehend what's happening and then it's too late). The final sequence fell a bit flat, too, which is odd since the comic has such a beautiful, theatrical close.

Oh, and did anyone else notice Jason's face a la Batman 428 when Bruce had all the Joker images on the screens in the cave? Seemed to imply that Death in the Family events already happened, which would really put this story in a weird place, continuity-wise. Not sure if they did that to acknowledge "Red Hood" which has already been released.

Again, I did enjoy it, but I don't think this movie could've been the 6-star extravaganza many of us hoped it would be. I'll buy the DVD and watch it some more, but, yeah, "Mask of the Phantasm" is still the king.

When Bruce was looking at the screens in the Batcave, there was an image of a dead and bloody Jason Todd from Death in the Family on one of the screens.

I noticed that Easter Egg as well. I think there were a couple other gems in that shot as well. Will have to wait for the Blu-Ray for closer inspection

The pictures included animated versions of Joker from Batman (1989) of him on the beach in that commercial he did and the animated version of him from The Dark Knight sitting in the jail cell like Heath Ledger.

Something about this in film form was more disturbing to me than the comic form. I thought they did a pretty good job with it, but I didn't enjoy it the way I hoped I might. No specific reason. I did think the ending laughter was less mysterious in audio rather than reading it. I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone, but not because it's bad.

This is maybe the first time where I can understand Mr Moore's argument that his story was meant for a book and not film medium. It just didn't have the power, mystery, or weight in the same way as the book does for me despite the fantastic voice work.

They did a good job with it, but I felt sort of neutral about it after it was over.

Afterwards people were in shock that that was it. Nobody seemed happy afterwards.

I'm just curious, but how did people expect it to end?

Specifcally those people who have read the book.

Afterwards people were in shock that that was it. Nobody seemed happy afterwards.

Not sure how many people have read the book...there were a lot of Bat T-Shirts in the room, and Harley shirts etc etc but I think most were looking for some sort of resolution at the end and instead were left to scratch their head/heads.

Jim

Not sure how many people have read the book...there were a lot of Bat T-Shirts in the room, and Harley shirts etc etc but I think most were looking for some sort of resolution at the end and instead were left to scratch their head/heads.

Jim

That's amazing to me....

That book has something like 15 american printings, not to mention hard cover, special editions, and the dozens of languages it's been translated into....I can't imagine anyone fan enough to seek out the one day special screening and calls themselves a Bat-fan, hasn't read one of the greatest Batman stories ever created.

It's got to the be equivalent of the guy in the front row of a concert, wearing the t-shirt, and doesn't know any of the songs....

It was a late showing where we went last night so not too many people in theatre. I thought it was pretty good. I especially liked the short docu they showed before with Mark Hammil.

The stuff with Hammil at the start was awesome. Really enjoyed watching that.

Jim

That's amazing to me....

That book has something like 15 american printings, not to mention hard cover, special editions, and the dozens of languages it's been translated into....I can't imagine anyone fan enough to seek out the one day special screening and calls themselves a Bat-fan, hasn't read one of the greatest Batman stories ever created.

It's got to the be equivalent of the guy in the front row of a concert, wearing the t-shirt, and doesn't know any of the songs....

I would bet there are millions of Batman fans who have never read a comic. Look how much the Nolan films made and compare that with the amount of copies any comic book has ever sold.

To the general population our heroes live primarily in cinema and cartoon form, then there are comics.

Brian Azzarello Says Adapting Batman: The Killing Joke Was Like A "Run And Jump Off A Cliff"

ComicBook.com: The Killing Joke is interesting because you're kind of playing with this sacred calf. You have to add material in order to flesh out the film.

What kind of went into the thought process? What were you kind of looking for when you were adding the new material?

Brian Azzarello: Man, it was like just run and jump off a cliff. It really was. Like, "Don't be hesitant or half-assed about it. Just take a big- bite, man."

ComicBook.com: Now, obviously, the way it's been described by Bruce was that essentially the second half is the story as we know it. The first bit is the new stuff. What's interesting about that is that even within that second half, you have a musical element in the form of the Joker's song. As a screenwriter, how did you approach that, like knowing there was going to be a musical element in an R-rated Batman movie with that, and you didn't want to break the kind of tone?

Brian Azzarello: He does sing in the story. It was there already.

ComicBook.com: It just wasn't a concern really?

Brian Azzarello: No man. I had no concerns, dude.

I'm not familiar with Brian Azzarello. Is he always so awkward with his interviews?

Brian Azzarello Says Adapting Batman: The Killing Joke Was Like A "Run And Jump Off A Cliff"

ComicBook.com: The Killing Joke is interesting because you're kind of playing with this sacred calf. You have to add material in order to flesh out the film.

What kind of went into the thought process? What were you kind of looking for when you were adding the new material?

Brian Azzarello: Man, it was like just run and jump off a cliff. It really was. Like, "Don't be hesitant or half-assed about it. Just take a big- bite, man."

ComicBook.com: Now, obviously, the way it's been described by Bruce was that essentially the second half is the story as we know it. The first bit is the new stuff. What's interesting about that is that even within that second half, you have a musical element in the form of the Joker's song. As a screenwriter, how did you approach that, like knowing there was going to be a musical element in an R-rated Batman movie with that, and you didn't want to break the kind of tone?

Brian Azzarello: He does sing in the story. It was there already.

ComicBook.com: It just wasn't a concern really?

Brian Azzarello: No man. I had no concerns, dude.

I'm not familiar with Brian Azzarello. Is he always so awkward with his interviews?

Only met him once years ago. He was a bit odd/standoff-ish.

Only met him once years ago. He was a bit odd/standoff-ish.

That may be why he reacted the way he did at the KJ panel in calling the reporter a 'kitty' for heckling the panel.