• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone else been watching this Silver Age eBay Lot - Best I've ever seen!

48 posts in this topic

I've been dying to see how high this goes.... I originally figured $10k but it blew past that yesterday, which is amazing.

Maybe there are lots this big/good all the time, but I've never seen one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161760121550?_trksid=p2055359.m1431.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Predictions as how this ends?

Also, does anyone know the seller? Is it someone on the boards? If so, I will take this down if I'm unintentionally violating some sort of shilling rule. I just though others would like to grab the :popcorn: and sit back and live vicariously through the people who can afford to buy a lot like this as I've been doing for the past week.

I would say it is already over priced. It is at $15 per book right now. Key book in the collection is the spidey 1 which is low grade but probably the easiest book to sell. Most of the rest looks like stuff you would need to price very low to move.

I usually see these and they never come close to the reserve. It will be interesting to see how high it goes considering the batch contains a ton of less desirable titles like later issues of TAA and TOS.

I usually see these and they never come close to the reserve. It will be interesting to see how high it goes considering the batch contains a ton of less desirable titles like later issues of TAA and TOS.

I cant keep later issues of TOS in stock. issues that I sold for $3-$5 a year or two ago move well at $10 these days. That's for VG minus books. Fine or better move great at $15.

I cant keep later issues of TOS in stock. issues that I sold for $3-$5 a year or two ago move well at $10 these days. That's for VG minus books. Fine or better move great at $15.

yeah, people now just view them as silver age Captain America and Iron Man books, as they should

I think people are waking up to the fact that they are 50 year old Marvels featuring two extremely popular characters.

I was telling someone this the other day. You common issue of Tales of Suspese or Astonish in the 70s is almost 50-years old. Are you telling me a mid-grade 50-year-old Hulk comic book isn't worth at least $15?

Heck, the first appearance of the New Teen Titans is 35 years old. That's insane.

I think people are waking up to the fact that they are 50 year old Marvels featuring two extremely popular characters.

I was telling someone this the other day. You common issue of Tales of Suspese or Astonish in the 70s is almost 50-years old. Are you telling me a mid-grade 50-year-old Hulk comic book isn't worth at least $15?

Heck, the first appearance of the New Teen Titans is 35 years old. That's insane.

Yep. I'm a sucker for midgrade SA. $15 is still way cheap I think for a nice-looking SA. They're not going down in price I don't think, unlike many MA variant stuff that is equal or even double the price.

:cool:

I take offense to calling the seller a "hoarder," I like to call it being a completist!

I agree that low grade TOS and TTA are a tough sell, but that's in VG or less. If graded accurately, mainstream Marvel in VG+ through VF is right in my wheelhouse, and also for a number of other boardies whose name I despise seeing in a sales thread! :D From a previous discussion where you were baffled by buyers turning down a NM copy of a book to take a FN copy instead, it's clear you don't cater to the "nicely presenting copy at a discount" crowd, but it's all good, sellable material.

I've always loved TOS, especially the later issues: the Cap stories drawn and plotted by Kirby at the very end of the run (92 - 99) are aces -- easily the best in the series after the Red Skull/Cosmic Cube three-parter in 79 - 81 and the first solo Cap "revival" strips in 59 - 68 or so (all also by Kirby, natch!). And the Colan-drawn Iron Man stories in 92 - 99 are pretty solid, too.

The only downside to the title (i.e., the split Cap/Iron Man issues) is that it often suffers from some fairly anemic covers (of course, there are exceptions). They're not bad, necessarily...just sort of...blah sometimes, which may be helping to keep the prices down a bit, esp. in the key/cover-image-driven slabbie era...

Yep. I'm a sucker for midgrade SA. $15 is still way cheap I think for a nice-looking SA. They're not going down in price I don't think, unlike many MA variant stuff that is equal or even double the price.

:cool:

but just like anything else, its a matter of 'what kind of person will buy this collection?' and 'how much money is that type of person willing to pay?'

1. Dealer - Lot of nice books, but what margins are they hoping to get? And how much are they willing to risk on resto? And how much capital can they tie up in this and in grading, and how fast can they turn the inventory? Especially since half the con season is over...

2. Collector - wants about 20% for their collection of these and doesn't mind slowly selling the rest. How much time does he really want to spend selling... If he can drop 10K-25K for an ebay purchase, his time is probably worth a lot.

3. some hybrid of the above. most likely buyer, but hardest to predict spending behavior.

I take offense to calling the seller a "hoarder," I like to call it being a completist!

I agree that low grade TOS and TTA are a tough sell, but that's in VG or less. If graded accurately, mainstream Marvel in VG+ through VF is right in my wheelhouse, and also for a number of other boardies whose name I despise seeing in a sales thread! :D From a previous discussion where you were baffled by buyers turning down a NM copy of a book to take a FN copy instead, it's clear you don't cater to the "nicely presenting copy at a discount" crowd, but it's all good, sellable material.

I definitely understand collecting a nice presenting copy of a book and not wanting to pay the NM premium I was just shocked that virtually no one was interested in the NM copies. I love to hear people are looking for nice presenting Silver-Age books but those buyers seem to disappear when I post up nice presenting mid grade copies of TOS and TAA for $10 - $15. :cry:

I have been watching this and am not sure how i feel about this.

One one hand it has potential to be a decent, not great, price on alot of key books and silver age backstock

On the other hand I have to question how someone could drop that much coin on books i couldnt see personally.

Plus, it kind of skews the value of the market a little since the prices would be drastically different if bought separately.