• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HA AUGUST 27-29 SIGNATURE AUCTION

671 posts in this topic

bill's one of the smartest guys I know...

First you disparage the Price Guide, then this? Only a Florida grad could get that much stuff wrong in one day.

:acclaim:

and Mr Bedrock is one of the best looking guys I know... (3 for 3 :wishluck: )

bill's one of the smartest guys I know...

First you disparage the Price Guide, then this? Only a Florida grad could get that much stuff wrong in one day.

it takes 2 uf degrees to be that wooden-headed.

no soup for you!

as a long timer, its "fun" to hear folks still refer to "relative to guide" pricing when it comes to keys... we all know the guide has little bearing or relevance these days, but still brings a smile to my face to here it :cloud9:

Unless you edited your original post you didn't limit your initial commentary on the Guide to just keys. Hence my retort

didnt edit my post as you can see above...bolded for you where I specified "keys"...the next statement was in support of previous statement (thumbs u

You definitely didn't edit it. You continue to spell it "here" instead of "hear". UF education, indeed.

in my feeble defense, that's Siri's fault :shy:

Interestingly, Heritage Auctions still lists current OSPG reports and CGC census reports for all listed comics..would listing GPA prices be more appropriate?
given that gpa is a pay service, probably not (shrug)

Interestingly, Heritage Auctions still lists current OSPG reports and CGC census reports for all listed comics..would listing GPA prices be more appropriate?
and it is the buyer's job to be up to speed on current market conditions....especially keys...

I think I've mentioned this before, but in the HA signature auctions my impression--nope, haven't tried to look at it systematically--is that Overstreet is pretty close on most GA books, leaving aside keys or books that have suddenly gotten hot.

Some of this might be self-fulfilling in that collectors and dealers see a deal if a book is about to close well below guide and start bidding the book up. Or dealers and collectors may be reluctant to pay significantly more than guide thinking--for dealers--that reselling books above guide can be difficult, and--for collectors--that a book that is going well above guide may be available cheaper elsewhere.

Still the market has to be lurking out there somewhere. People won't persist in buying books around guide if their true FMV is well below guide. And people will pay well above guide if the guide price persists in being below FMV.

So, unless I'm just seeing what I expect to see, I think the HA auctions indicate that Overstreet is pretty accurate for most GA books.

My observation is that - for some strange reason - never once have I been able to sell a book for more than the sticker price I put on it. They always sell for at or below sticker, but never once has someone seen the sticker price then offered to pay more. Why is that?

My observation is that - for some strange reason - never once have I been able to sell a book for more than the sticker price I put on it. They always sell for at or below sticker, but never once has someone seen the sticker price then offered to pay more. Why is that?

Do you, perhaps, lack "The Smile that Wins"? hm

Do you, perhaps, lack "The Smile that Wins"? hm

:idea: That must be it.

Because you don't know how to price :baiting:

even at auction? None have sold for more than you had them for sale at other venues (store, show, etc.)

Has Heritage stopped providing links to GPA for books in their auctions?

I don't recall ever seeing a gpa link (maybe I wasn't looking?)

they typically provide links to some of their past sales of same graded books...

I don't recall ever seeing a gpa link (maybe I wasn't looking?)

they typically provide links to some of their past sales of same graded books...

Right, that and info from the CGC census. Don't recall seeing a link to GPA.

Heritage still provides the link to GPA on books that are in auction. Just gotta scroll down to see it.

You are right. Somehow I never noticed it before.

CGC Value Guide

Exclusive to Heritage members: GPAnalysis price report (& link to CGC Census) for this certified comic. GO!

My two cents. Gator is 100 percent right. I wanted to stop using the guide in about 1980 when I saw the scant price differences between a high grade AF15 and a low grade one. Unfortunately, it took another 20 years before I could because the raw data became available on the internet. For high grade or keys GPA and Heritage are the price guide. For the more common dreg Ebay sales can't be beat for determining fmv of any given book. Not sure who provides GPA with its data but a lot of lower priced CGC sales don't seem to be included in their data?