• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Infinity War = Infinite Bore

91 posts in this topic

So I was thinking today about the direction the MCU is going in.

We've had some absolute cracking films such as IM1, Cap2, Av1, GotG... But then also some godawful turdtacular pieces of crapola such as IM2, AoU. Now because we have the whole of the next five years or so mapped out we have a 100% idea of what's coming...

That's a mistake.

All it's saying to the audience is that we have years and years of much of the same coming, it doesn't really matter if you go and see all of them or, in fact, none of them. It won't matter because it'll just be set pieces of action and comedy and then something blowing up at the end.

The well is running dry, in fact it ran empty about 7 minutes into AoU. I have a genuine fear that Cap3 will be the last actually good or even okay MCU film to see the light of day.

They need to tear up the road map and rethink the whole of the upcoming phases.

Fox has made some great Marvel films - also some ones, but at least they're not scared to try new things with the characters, the forthcoming FF film is a good example. Yeah it's not the FF from the comics, but at least it looks like something new and maybe interesting.

They need to dump Thanos and the Infinity stones. Heck I like Thanos! But for a film I can take my wife and nieces and nephews to watch? Nope, it's gonna suck.

I understand the OP's frustration. Is a Vin Diesel still set to play black bolt?? :facepalm:

After AoU, I have lowered my expectations before walking in to the theatres - worked really well with Ant-Man.

We've had some absolute cracking films such as IM1, Cap2, Av1, GotG... But then also some godawful turdtacular pieces of crapola such as IM2, AoU. Now because we have the whole of the next five years or so mapped out we have a 100% idea of what's coming...

That's a mistake.

All it's saying to the audience is that we have years and years of much of the same coming, it doesn't really matter if you go and see all of them or, in fact, none of them. It won't matter because it'll just be set pieces of action and comedy and then something blowing up at the end.

The well is running dry, in fact it ran empty about 7 minutes into AoU. I have a genuine fear that Cap3 will be the last actually good or even okay MCU film to see the light of day.

Fox has made some great Marvel films - also some ones, but at least they're not scared to try new things with the characters, the forthcoming FF film is a good example. Yeah it's not the FF from the comics, but at least it looks like something new and maybe interesting.

They need to dump Thanos and the Infinity stones. Heck I like Thanos! But for a film I can take my wife and nieces and nephews to watch? Nope, it's gonna suck.

I disagree with you entirely. :shy:

That's a mistake.

Did you forget James Gunn is writing and directing GotG 2?

MCU is going in a different direction.

No more origin stories.

Introduction of the "mystical phase" with Strange.

Spidey co-mingling with his other Marvel movie counter parts.

Inhumans getting involved. Can't wait to see Medusa depicted on the big screen. She will steal the show.

Probable World War Hulk over arching story line after Infinity Wars.

I couldn't be more pumped. :banana:

-J.

Also, the Russo brothers did great work on Captain America : The Winter Soldier, and so I’m looking forward to more from them with Infinity War 1 and 2.

Seriously its the law of diminishing returns... We're already there in fact.

I like films, I go and watch films at the cinema, every week multiple times. I know films

Mark my words... They carry on this path the end is nigh for the MCU.

Avengers 1 was the best movie they made. Avengers 2 was the weakest.

Psyched for Dr. Strange and Panther. I don't think the Infinity Stones was thought out ahead of time. That and the break with Marvel TV (AoS i.e. Coulsen still dead in movies) have been their biggest missteps IMO.

Really looking forward to the see what Warners is going to bring.

I like films, I go and watch films at the cinema, every week multiple times. I know films

It's unfortunate that these days it's much cooler to hate something for what it isn't, than appreciate it for what it is.

Half the people gripe there's too much action, the other half say there's not enough.

People gripe that the science is not up to snuff in these movies. The science, in a movie about comic book superheroes that can shrink themselves and control ants with their mind, is weak. Really?

Just wipe your mind when you sit down, enjoy the witty wisecracks and fast paced fight scenes, and try to appreciate that you're alive and it's okay to smile and be happy. Stop being so cool.

It's unfortunate that these days it's much cooler to hate something for what it isn't, than appreciate it for what it is.

Half the people gripe there's too much action, the other half say there's not enough.

People gripe that the science is not up to snuff in these movies. The science, in a movie about comic book superheroes that can shrink themselves and control ants with their mind, is weak. Really?

Just wipe your mind when you sit down, enjoy the witty wisecracks and fast paced fight scenes, and try to appreciate that you're alive and it's okay to smile and be happy. Stop being so cool.

First time anyone's ever accused me of being too cool.

I'm not hating on the films, I just want them to rethink the direction. Because they will begin to fail otherwise.

I'm not hating on the films, I just want them to rethink the direction. Because they will begin to fail otherwise.

That's the nature of business. It's rare that people stop selling a product before people stop wanting it.

That's the nature of business. It's rare that people stop selling a product before people stop wanting it.

True enuff.

But IM1 was great, then they made IM2 and then IM3. I've stopped wanting it.